• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

knowing what to report? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
this is a question that i have been asking myself for some time.last night i compiled my list for march and sent it off to my county recorder,i,m sure i left something out but this is the first time i have done this.looking at my list on the screen i cant help wonder if i should have included some of the more common species.my list was made up of barn owl,a pair of buzzards[rare for south norfolk]the local long eard owl and this years first migrant chiffchaff,willow warbler.is there a source of information,guidence on how to present your lists and what species are of more interest than others.all of my sightings are taken from lesser known sites and local farmland.any advice welcomed.matt

Well,looking at our monthly bulletin for the Northumberland & Tyneside Bird Club, there's always somebody who DOES make a count of the more common species that nobody else bothers to look at...stuff like Feral Pigeons, Starlings, House Sparrow & Blue Tit numbers in gardens - that sort of thing!
Nothing wrong in that I feel...we can't ALL see rarities every time we go out and it's nice to count the commoner birds so we can see if there are any population changes, that sort of thing!

Gill

I wondered about this as well
and posted the ones I viewed
ie.. Northern Harriers..
a few others..

but.. the birders who I met
at the marsh seemed even
pleased to see this .. so

I feel fortunate to see any..

and others .. a real bonus..
rare ones..
whenever that will happen LOL
never know

As a former bird report editor in my experience we were always very short of useful records of common birds. In a bird report (which of course is one of the main receptacles for all of those bird records submitted to the recorders) I felt the aim should be to tell the story of that species in that year. It was always difficult to do this for things like House Sparrow and Dunnock because so few records were submitted. Systematic counts and records of breeding success are the most useful information but even a general comment like 'fewer than usual' can be used to build-up an overall impression of how the species is faring. Some bird reports give guidance on what records should be submitted so there may be some information in there, but failing that, I'm sure the county recorder would be happy to give some guidance.

Stuart

Regular counts of all species, especially if from one site would be welcome, but check out the annual county bird report, most have a page giving details on what records they want reported.

Or simply record everything and use BirdTrack!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back