• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oly 750 remote control (2 Viewers)

Roy191

My 750 came without a remote control unit so i will have to purchase one separately . Question is to experienced remote users is.. do you have to be in front of the camera facing the remote receiver or can the receiver be excited from any angle...Roy.

Roy, what I tend to do is to stand behind the camera (when it's on the tripod) and just place my hand in front of the camera off to the right in the general direction of the remote receiver and it works.

Roy191 said:
My 750 came without a remote control unit so i will have to purchase one separately . Question is to experienced remote users is.. do you have to be in front of the camera facing the remote receiver or can the receiver be excited from any angle...Roy.

In front of the camera Roy.

OK, so it looks like i can't set the camera on a fixed position , focused and ready to shoot and trigger shutter from about 10 mtrs away. I was hoping to do that with the camera in it's own hide and me setting shutter off from a distance. I will have to go to plan B , Hav'nt invented it yet...Roy.

I used to have the Oly C2000Z and still have the Olympus C2100UZ. Both use the same remote control, which for consistent resutls has to be used from the front and in addition quite close to the camera.

An alternative for you could be to use a Jessops type bracket or the Generic EagleEye one together with a 20' or whatever air activated shutter release cable.

I was toying with the idea of giving it a go myself this year.

I find that the remote is not too useful, except for one thing - it works nicely as a shutter release when you are shooting in low light on a tripod and don't want to touch the camera to trip the shutter. As an earlier message said, in this situation you can hold the remote slightly out in front of the camera (but behind the front of the lens), and trip the shutter with it.

You do have to position the remote in front of the camera but you can position a small mirror underneath (assuming you use a tripod) and bounce the remote signal off the mirror, while you remain behind the camera. I've tried it with some success.

This is an old thread, but if You pass by, I have a simple, inexpensive solution, cost Me less than $30.00 US to make, and it works, from as much as 100 feet distance from the camera. See My gallery for examples. I would simply post a self explanatory photo If I knew of where in the gallery it would be acceptable. It should work with almost any camera, whether or not originally equipped with remote. It does not alter the camera, and has caused no damage to any camera in the course of several hundred shots. All the Cardinal shots I've posted were taken using the device. Not a scam here, no gimmicks, just pleased and willing to share an idea that works. tsiya [email protected]

Tsiya,
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where exactly is your gallery? Can you give us the web address, or is this a BirdForum area that I am not familiar with?

Gallery here on Bird forum

I've posted several shots recently using the remote control I made. I have used the device on an Olympus C4000z, an Olympus C2500l, and on a Kodak CX6230, all with good results. I have the Olympus IR remote for the C2500L, it works, but very limited range, 15 feet, very limited angle.
I can now fire a camera from as much as 100 feet away, although it is best from 50 feet or less, with the low power transmitter I have. I don't know what the equivalent lens to get Me that close to a bird would be, I'm using the macro setting sometimes, but it would be a big chunk of glass, for sure. Results are not always perfect, but getting better as I learn to set things up.

Attachments

• RC RIGc 043.jpg
    RC RIGc 043.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 212
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back