• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

Larry Lade

I know that we have birders of all ages and number of years participating in this
pastime we all enjoy.

But, I thought that it would be interesting to see when it was that you observed your last "life" bird. *A "life" bird is one which you now have seen, but have never seen it in the wild before.

What was it? When? and Where?

My last "life" bird was:

Sharp-tailed Grouse seen in Sax-Zim bog area of northern Minnesota, USA, January 30, 2005

Hi Larry,

My last 'life' bird was the golden-crowned kinglet. I stumbled across a whole flock of them in the trees at our cottage in Hillsport, Ontario last weekend, Aug. 27'05 and it was wonderful! I've been waiting to see these little wonders for years.

Pacific Golden Plover, last Sunday (28 August), at Levington, Suffolk (UK east coast).

Excellent bird - more distinctive than the field guides suggest.

My last life bird was at about 8:30 this morning before work, a Buff-breasted Sandpiper, which was in a flock of European Golden Plovers and one American Golden Plover. My 29th lifer of 2005, (4 in Iceland, 4 in England and 21 in Spain).

E

Little Shearwater on the Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry crossing, a couple of weeks ago. First bird was nice, then found one myself, always more satisfying! Seen very well - the pale panel on secondaries very noticeable, which surprised me, as it has only recently been cited as a feature, and is not shown in most field guides.

Well since I'm relatively new at all this, my last lifer was:

Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Maine, USA, just last month (8/21)

Red-eyed Vireo in northeastern oregon (just south of Joseph in the wallowas). Stumbled across the bird in a bush and was able to id it. also heard an Olive-sided flycatcher (still need to see one) but was unable to locate it.

Larry Lade said:
I know that we have birders of all ages and number of years participating in this
pastime we all enjoy.

But, I thought that it would be interesting to see when it was that you observed your last "life" bird. *A "life" bird is one which you now have seen, but have never seen it in the wild before.

What was it? When? and Where?

My last "life" bird was:

Sharp-tailed Grouse seen in Sax-Zim bog area of northern Minnesota, USA, January 30, 2005

Lewis's Woodpecker, Okanagan Falls, July 2005.

Not uncommon, but it has eluded me for two years.

Alan

Confirmed: Northern Pygmy-Owl, June 28, 2005, seen near dawn while on survey in one of our national forests.

Unconfirmed: Mourning Warbler, August 31, 2005.
(I'm waiting ID confirmation of the warbler from our AZ records committee since this species can closely resemble MacGillivray's Warbler. Sadly, it was also a window strike and has died. When I get the photos back, I'll post here, see what you guys think. ;) )

two recent lifers for me were in portugal on holiday - short toed eagle - very close about 30 foot from car -spectacular, and wryneck -great views and one ive wanted to see since childhood,
nigel

I had a good start to this year's birding with an average of two new lifers each month but since my last one I seem to have hit a dry spell! :-C
BUT i'm out birding today and tomorrow and DETERMINED to see something new! ;)

My last Lifer was Razorbill (Alca torda)on 30th May 2005, just off Coquet Island, Nortthumberland.

Gill

Western Sandpiper, Brownsea Island, Dorset, U.K. 30-9-04.
Or am I allowed to count Black-headed Wagtail, West Charleton Marsh, Devon, in June?

Couple of weeks ago, I got my 512th, a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at a local patch, A E Sea (not a sea under any view, but a large, almost dry pond) at Fermi Lab. He's not a rare bird here during spring and fall migration, just one I had never seen to ID before.

Jaeger near Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back