• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Digiscoping - Need Adapter Help (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also new to digiscoping. I have the new model of the Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotter and Nikon D90. I'd love to figure out how to use them together to capture some of the wildlife Montana has to offer.

A member on here mentioned potentially selling the Vortex digiscoping adapter and I believe that would solve my problems. However, I haven't heard anything back (sent a PM a few days ago and just replied to the thread today) so I'm going to start doing some additional research into other avenues.

Can anyone suggest a way to pair these two devices? I'd much prefer a DIY option if such exists; however, I'm not opposed to buying the adapter if needed.

Thanks in advance!

That sort of adapter would probably give you the best image quality as it allows you to keep the lens on the camera. They mention using a 50mm lens with the adapter but that might be a bit much for a 65mm scope. Dropping down to a 35mm or 28mm prime lens might be better as it will give a brighter image, higher shutter speeds etc. The prices for the adapter when purchased new seem a bit high for what it is. If you can get a cheaper used one, complete with the extra adapter rings then it would probably be worth it. Hopefully the other member will get back to you.

Paul.

That sort of adapter would probably give you the best image quality as it allows you to keep the lens on the camera. They mention using a 50mm lens with the adapter but that might be a bit much for a 65mm scope. Dropping down to a 35mm or 28mm prime lens might be better as it will give a brighter image, higher shutter speeds etc. The prices for the adapter when purchased new seem a bit high for what it is. If you can get a cheaper used one, complete with the extra adapter rings then it would probably be worth it. Hopefully the other member will get back to you.

Paul.

Thanks for the advice, Paul. I also have the 85mm Razor HD scope - do you think that would work better? Ultimately, I'm just trying to find a way to get some good wildlife shots without breaking the bank. While the prices do seem a bit high, they're MUCH more reasonable than a lens capable of those same images.

Since I have the 50mm, 65mm, and 85mm Razors, I figured an adaptor would probably put me in a position to be able to take some decent photos when I'm in the field.

The 85mm would let in much more light and should certainly allow the use of a 50mm lens on the camera. Try hand holding the camera behind the eyepiece of the scope when it's focused on a target and take some photos. That would let you see what you can expect if you had a dedicated adapter.

Paul.

Bringing this back up as the member selling the Vortex camera adapter set had already sold it.

I'd really like to find a good adapter that I can use with all three scopes. Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should use the larger scope....digiscoping with any camera depends highly on the light and the larger the scope, the more light. The light is 'cut back' when passing thru the scope to the camera on the outside of the eyepiece, so that is where you lose the light. I have always used the larger scope.

Jury rig it ....in the old days, and I am talking about when I first started digiscoping in the mid 90's, there was 'nothing out there, but an idea'.....and it was fun to improvise. Go to the hardware story and get PVC pipe and cut it up, etc etc..tape, etc...and see what comes of it. A challenge but it was done before.

Then came adapters meant for digiscoping and now, there is the phone adapter. So there are options

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back