• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK herps, 2013 (1 Viewer)

JCL

There's a similar thread on UK orchids each year, so howsabout one on reptiles and amphibians where we can share sightings, intel, musings etc?

I'll kick off with 5 male adder enticed out by today's sun at *location removed* NW Kent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just John please, Steve ! Particularly as your writhing black adder shot wil have pride of place in '52 wildlife weekends'!

Adarkish normal male Adder showing well this morning in Adder Alley at Pulborough Brooks. Apparently it waas out in the snow the other day!

It shows opposite the bench at the south end of Adder Alley. Some dumb bunny with a point and shoot got within 6 inches of it to take pictures. The snake is 15 inches long so he was well within striking distance. Some people deserve to get bitten.

John

Not just John please, Steve ! Particularly as your writhing black adder shot wil have pride of place in '52 wildlife weekends'!

and I seem to have posted a similar request (for black adders) on your FB status earlier today, James. I guess reptiles won over Bluewater if your pic's anything to go by!

and I seem to have posted a similar request (for black adders) on your FB status earlier today, James. I guess reptiles won over Bluewater if your pic's anything to go by!

Indeed. But it was so frosty that I only had four adder at *location removed* and all bar the *location removed* animal were the same individuals I had on Tues. (on Tues, someone had seven.) I think the total number of individuals known for these well-studied (adjacent) sites is c160!! And there's still no black 'un.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. But it was so frosty that I only had four adder at *location removed* and all bar the *location removed* animal were the same individuals I had on Tues. (on Tues, someone had seven.) I think the total number of individuals known for these well-studied (adjacent) sites is c160!! And there's still no black 'un.

Wow, a good number. We don't get them round here, they tend to be more coastal in E Anglia. Found sloughed skins in the Brecks and there's some at Bedford Purlieus (an hour from here) but they seem to be scarce. Planning a couple of trips to Minsmere in the summer where I hear black ones are more regular.

I spent about four hours yesterday and about two today looking for adders at Rendlesham but no luck.I did see one common lizard today and one yesterday. No idea why I had so little success; the conditions seemed pretty good.

The black adder I photographed was the only one I've ever seen. If I do ever see another I will share!

I may try Dunwich this week. The place I photographed the black adder - on a warm , sunny 6th April - and saw several normal coloured ones. James H if you are you are trying the Minsmere area this may be a better bet; although I have to admit subsequent visits haven't been as good as my first. Feel free to get in touch if you want the details.

Last edited:
Still not happening in Suffolk. I looked for grass snake and common lizard at a site in South Suffolk today, without success and common lizard on the outskirts of Ipswich, again without success.

Last edited:
All - I have been alerted that naming specific sites raises their profile among the illicit bunch who collect herps. I wouldn't forgive myself if I inadvertently led to adders being pilfered from the wild - and I'm sure the same is true of other posters.

I have asked the moderators to delete the specific sites I have mentioned (it appears I cannot do it myself if 24 hrs have elapsed since posting).

Perhaps our approach should be to mention general areas (eg S Suffolk) and then be receptive to PM requests from those we know and trust if they want specific site details?

All - I have been alerted that naming specific sites raises their profile among the illicit bunch who collect herps. I wouldn't forgive myself if I inadvertently led to adders being pilfered from the wild - and I'm sure the same is true of other posters.

I have asked the moderators to delete the specific sites I have mentioned (it appears I cannot do it myself if 24 hrs have elapsed since posting).

Perhaps our approach should be to mention general areas (eg S Suffolk) and then be receptive to PM requests from those we know and trust if they want specific site details?

I have removed the site details from posts as requested, if any other site details need removing please send me a PM.

I had no idea that anyone removed adders from the wild, but it sounds like a good plan. Especially when it comes to the rarer species.

Great Crested Newts this morning at an RSPB reserve in Sussex in the new pond behind the reserve centre. Palmate as well but I only got pix of the GCN.

John

I know this is a bit off topic - I wasn’t really sure where else to put it - but while wandering around, failing to see adders (again!), this morning I was pondering this thread, and other similar ones such as the orchid and dragonfly one. I was wondering if there could be one site where all such gen could go. A sort of general wildlife Birdguides –although obviously with a lot less news– that we could check while out in the field and people could be encouraged to post their news asap.
It could have first sightings of butterflies, orchids, dragonflies etc. as well as migrant insects news – especially if they’re twitchable – good showings of rarer species e.g. showy purple emperors etc. as well as records of sea mammals etc. I know there may be some objections about confidentiality but most the site gen is out in the public domain anyway, and posters could use common sense.
I did ponder setting up a website, but the problem would be then is someone would have to put all the news on, when it would be a lot better if anyone could put their own gen on – preferably while out it the field, as most people have smart phones now.
So after all that meandering I was thinking maybe a thread on here would be the best place.
So what do others think?

I know this is a bit off topic - I wasn’t really sure where else to put it - but while wandering around, failing to see adders (again!), this morning I was pondering this thread, and other similar ones such as the orchid and dragonfly one. I was wondering if there could be one site where all such gen could go. A sort of general wildlife Birdguides –although obviously with a lot less news– that we could check while out in the field and people could be encouraged to post their news asap.
It could have first sightings of butterflies, orchids, dragonflies etc. as well as migrant insects news – especially if they’re twitchable – good showings of rarer species e.g. showy purple emperors etc. as well as records of sea mammals etc. I know there may be some objections about confidentiality but most the site gen is out in the public domain anyway, and posters could use common sense.
I did ponder setting up a website, but the problem would be then is someone would have to put all the news on, when it would be a lot better if anyone could put their own gen on – preferably while out it the field, as most people have smart phones now.
So after all that meandering I was thinking maybe a thread on here would be the best place.
So what do others think?

I agree that if you want to put it on the internet then a thread on BF is as good a place as any, but I would like to point out that RBA put out wildlife news - one of my pager channels is always the wildlife one - which of course doesn't depend on me checking it but actually alerts me. May be we need to check that RBA's pick-up suits what we want from the service, but they are already there, they are well acquainted with the scene (reducing somewhat the hoax risk) and they have at least some vested interest in making a success of it.

John

We could set up a pan species thread for sure - for the 20 of us who look at everything! But would all those who find decent stuff (I am thinking of stuff below rba radar eg red veined darter) - a wider group than just "us" - find it and post there rather than on a dragonflies thread?

I agree that if you want to put it on the internet then a thread on BF is as good a place as any, but I would like to point out that RBA put out wildlife news - one of my pager channels is always the wildlife one - which of course doesn't depend on me checking it but actually alerts me. May be we need to check that RBA's pick-up suits what we want from the service, but they are already there, they are well acquainted with the scene (reducing somewhat the hoax risk) and they have at least some vested interest in making a success of it.

John

I don't have a pager! And couldn't even nearly justify the cost of one.

I do take Jame's point that the lack of people who look at everything would be a problem and we may well be below the 'critical mass' needed to make it viable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back