• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Utah (1 Viewer)

bcurrie

Well, today was the day to see Raptors. I have never seen so many birds of prey in one day (number wise). Temperature was at -1 degree celsius to start, ended at 6 degrees. It was overcast most of the day.

First was Farmington Bay, one of my favorite places to bird. This was with a local group. In the Spring time, it is really hopping with birds. Birds seen today:

Bald Eagle (7)
Northern Harrier (6)
American Kestrel (12)
Red-tailed Hawk (7)
Prairie Falcon - female (1)
Northern Shrike - Juvenile (LIFE BIRD for me, regular Winter
visitor here, but very unusual to see)
Loggerhead Shrike
Common Raven
Starling
Northern Pintail
Bufflehead
Clark's Grebe
Western Grebe
Lesser Scaup
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove
Northern Shoveler
California Gull
Common Goldeneye
Black-billed Magpie
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
House Sparrow

Then I went to Antelope Island in the afternoon (only about 7 miles from Farmington Bay, and my house lay right inbetween them), the largest island in the Great Salt Lake. For the past three days there have been confirmed sightings of Snow Buntings.

Prairie Falcon - male (1)
Red-tailed Hawk (2)
American Kestrel (3)
Horned Lark
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
American Crow
Northern Shoveler
Starling
Black-billed Magpie

and Eight Bison!

Alas, no Snow Bunting today. All the reports have seen them in the morning, and they were also seem this morning so that makes four days in a row. Up to 14 have been seen, not just one strangler.

Brian you have had a most terrific day ... and life bird to boot! Great news on the shrike... congratulations.
Nice day there too... we are seeing a lot of birds of prey in the area here now too... still green here. Great to hear that you had such a good day birding...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back