BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Wildlife Art (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   Extremadura Fieldsketching Trip-monfragŁe & La Serena ,april 2014 (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=280851)

spizaetos Wednesday 16th April 2014 12:50

Extremadura Fieldsketching Trip-MonfragŁe & La Serena ,April 2014

5 Attachment(s)
I knew from the beginning, that this thread is gonna have a short life, but I decided to create this one and not to upload the pictures in my "New field studies" thread, because it contains solely fieldwork from my recent trip to Extremadura...
This has been my first ever visit to Extremadura, a magic place which fascinated me since I bought the ANF book from Extremadura project in 2000, a "must to visit" a place in my wish list..My trip started from the well known "MonfragŁe national park" in the north, with its famous "Salto el gitano" rock formations, the hundreds of griffon vultures, black and egyptian vultures, as well the majestic spanish imperial eagle and the eagle owl..The best place to observe and watch them were the cliffs of Portilla del Tietar, the so-called back-door to National park from the east..Hadn`t luck with the weather because it was rainy and foggy , but I found shelter at lookout point at Portilla , keeping my sketchbook in safety from rain and wind..Many birdwatchers and photographers, from all over Europe came by and had many interestings discussions..I spend there almost five days and you can see the results attached...there are a couple of eagle owl studies, griffon vultures, and a landscape of the location..

spizaetos Wednesday 16th April 2014 13:11

5 Attachment(s)
I moved then to the south of Extremadura in La Serena in a completely different landscape type, with vast steppes, and fascinating birdlife...though I had to drive long distances every day to find the birds..Couldn`t be compared with the easy accessible hot spots of MonfragŁe, but as you can see it was worth a try...this is the first portion with a small landscape, calandra lark, corn bunting, a lone griffon vulture and a male lesser kestrel...

spizaetos Wednesday 16th April 2014 13:15

5 Attachment(s)
...and a second post with Little bustard, Little owl, a Montagu`s harrier, and Woodchat shrikes...

spizaetos Wednesday 16th April 2014 13:19

4 Attachment(s)
...and the rest with half-finished studies...except of the landscapes, every study has been
done using a spotting scope...

solitaryVSong Saturday 19th April 2014 13:28

All very striking, and very accomplished. Much as I like the pen and ink I'm becoming more partial to the watercolors.

buzzard12 Sunday 20th April 2014 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitaryVSong (Post 2971008)
All very striking, and very accomplished. Much as I like the pen and ink I'm becoming more partial to the watercolors.

A real pleasure to view these Pascallis, quite wonderful. Monty's biro sketch really is something....
Thanks for posting these...

ARTHUR BISHOP Monday 21st April 2014 13:34

just sublime Pascallis all of them

Gretchen Monday 21st April 2014 17:19

Both watercolors and ink sketches are wonderful. So glad you got to go and enjoy and then that you shared the results with us.

Bigshent Tuesday 22nd April 2014 18:55

Everyones a winner Sir but you know me the big pen studies always gob smack me:t: