• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Eddie B

Off to visit Norfolk this weekend. I'm planning to visit , Gt. Ryburgh and Swanton Novers viewpoints. Any tips or suggestions ?

Last edited:
Best to not talk about the first.

If Honey Buzzards are around this year, they should be viewable between 10:00-15:00 on sunny days, but I don't know which site would be your best bet.

My suggestion would be to ignore that pointless response.
The places you mention are not exactly hot spots right now,although one or two Honey Buzzard have been seen around Swanton Novers watchpoint.
If I were you,I would head to the coast; Waders are the order of the day at Cley and Titchwell. Breydon Water a good bet too.Head over to the Norfolk Birding thread for a better picture as to what's about- rare bird info perhaps not the best place for this thread.
Enjoy your visit. It's birding,in Norfolk.Always worth it.
Cheers,
Jim.

Ps- not slating your input Sean,you beat me to a response!

My suggestion would be to ignore that pointless response.!

if that's aimed at me, wind your neck in

I am inherently dubious about someone with only 2 or 3 posts to his name asking about the sites of rare breeding birds, and so should everyone else be

that said, I was trying to be helpful in a 'throwaway' way

South Creake is not happening this year and the Honeys are virtually not happening at all either. If some of Norfolk's top birders (and no that isn't self-deprecatory humour) are spending 9 hours at a stretch watching from supposedly the best place to look (no comment) and not seeing a HB then that gives an indication of how hard the task would be for an out-of-county-er

many of these blackboard sightings of HB are dubious, IMLTHO

I saw Monty's last weekend but have no intention of passing the location on as it could store up problems for them next year

a couple of weeks ago Tideliner informed us that a load of birders had trampled all over the car park field at Swanton trying to boot a Quail out, potentially trashing its nest underfoot

given that little snippet of information, why on Earth would any birder that gives a monkeys about the welfare of our rare breeders be giving out localities on an internet site ?

the Monty's and Honey sites were starting to bear all the hallmarks of fairground rides

"What shall we go on next ? "

"oo, lets go and have a go on the Montys and then maybe we'll have a go on the Honeys afterwards"

Swanton Novers ?

Swanton Waltzers more like

Dear Mr. Partridge
I'm a bit of a luddite, hence the 3 posts. Sorry if I've offended you but to view a monty or honey on one of my few free weekends would be lovely. Any tips ?

my suggestion would be don't bother

My advice would be to forget about Honey's and Montys and just do some nice relaxed birding around the coast. Holme and Titchwell would be a great day out. Titchwell is always busy, but there always something to see. Montys are often seen at Titchwell in late July/ early August when birds move away from breeding areas. Holme is a great place if you want to avoid the crowds and the birding is also good. Visit the NOA reserve, a permit is well worth the money and the new warden is very helpful. If you enjoy a beer and some exercise, walk from Holme to Thornham along the seawall, then stop off for a pint at Thornham village before walking back. Keep your eyes open for young Marsh Harriers on the wing as they often come very close. As far as grub is concerned the Deepdale cafe and the pub at Holme village are both top quality. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:
Yes, it was aimed at you. well done.Who made you commander in chief?
Like yourself,I was a little dubious when I saw the posting,so skirted around the idea of dishing out rare bird breeding sites. Quite where your tirade came from, I'm not sure! Bad day at the office mate!? Get yourself out to Surlingham- none of that rubbish there! People are always going to want to come to Norfolk,for good or bad reasons. We are not a closed club here Eddie (assuming you're not an egg snatcher) so get stuck in, find some good birds!
cheers,
Jim.

The trouble is that were you to live and bird in Norfolk you would know where to go and look for Montys, but if you live elsewhere and ask on a public forum you will be open to suspicion and probably abuse.

Best best is just to go and start birding, it will take about 30 seconds for someone to ask if you have been to XXXXXX to see the Montys. Tht's been the case whenever I've been.

Having "tried" (barely) for both HB and MH this year its very hit and miss. If you are coming for a weekend I echo the comments of others and hit the well watched sites:
Cley
Titchwell
Holme
Strumpshaw Fen (Although has been quiet-ish there recently, but haven't been in a little while)
Buckingham
Cantley
Hickling
Stubbs Mill
Breydon Water
Stiffkey Fen

Can recommend all of these...Have put my favorites in Bold

There is a lot of tension on this thread these days, the last 3-4 times I have scanned through there has been nothing but negativity between parties. Is July getting to people? I think maybe the combination of rain and a lack of birds is effecting peoples character slightly.

As birders I had come to to the conclusion that the vast, vast majority of us were well rounded, educated individuals. People are going to ask question and make comments that some of us find unbelievable and intruding, that is just life. But surely we all have the tactfulness in us to script our responses in a more palatable and respective way? Every query shouldn't turn the thread in to the last days of Rome.

Please don't get me wrong, this is not aimed at everyone, just a small minority who can't wait to make that high climb on to their horse.

make love not bombs

Long live Palestine

Regards Kieran

what, like, just go out birding, with no targets ?

that's just crazy talk

no self-respecting birder would venture outdoors of a morning without a list of targets

Presume you mean Twitcher not Birder. A true birder usually goes out looking for someting, anything, with no particular target in mind. Thats where the birds the Twitchers see come from.
Having seen some of your previous comments on other threads, cannot work out if you are a wind up merchant, or just making a fool of yourself.

John

Try Welbeck it's further but HB seems to be seen daily and midlands birders are much more helpful,in fact most are more helpful than some Norfolk birders.(i have met some very helpful Norfolk folk though).

Went to Welbeck the other week. Lovely honey buzzard,osprey and sparrowhawk and a great banter with some Notts birders, closer to home this trip. Thankyou though.
Eddie

Presume you mean Twitcher not Birder. A true birder usually goes out looking for someting, anything, with no particular target in mind. Thats where the birds the Twitchers see come from.
Having seen some of your previous comments on other threads, cannot work out if you are a wind up merchant, or just making a fool of yourself.

John

Agreed!

Went to Welbeck the other week. Lovely honey buzzard,osprey and sparrowhawk and a great banter with some Notts birders, closer to home this trip. Thankyou though.
Eddie

I'm have been planning a trip to Wykeham in Yorkshire this weekend for some time as i was told it's the most reliable HB site but with the sightings at Welbeck,i might go there instead it's closer to me,any info would be appreciated,postcodes etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back