• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louisianna bird in silhouette (1 Viewer)

SDV

Yes I know this is virtually impossible since the bird is in total silhouette. I photographed this bird sometime ago and have no recall of any details. I do, however, rather like the photo and would like to be able to put a name to the bird. I assume that it is an Egret, possibly a Great White, as I remember seeing them that trip. But would be grateful for any more positive suggestions.

Attachments

• S900499a.jpg
    S900499a.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 68
I am amazed that you can all give such a positive ID from this picture. What are the give-away signs that lead to such a positive ID?

The shape of the body in conjunction with the semi-thick neck topped by a slightly thicker head, and the length and thickness of the bill. This is a classic pose for Yellow-crowns, often exhibited by the birds which nested four blocks from my house.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back