• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large pale bird of prey, Wensleydale (1 Viewer)

Lloyd Llewellyn

I was driving through Wensleydale near Askrigg last Wednesday (26th October), when I saw a very pale almost white bird, which at first I thought was a barn owl, flying across a field. It then landed in a tree above the road and as I passed under it, I could clearly (but briefly!) see that it was a largish bird of prey, but definitely NOT an owl (nor a gull!).
Just wondering if anyone else had seen this or if anyone has any ideas what it could have been.
Thanks,
Lloyd

I was driving through Wensleydale near Askrigg last Wednesday (26th October), when I saw a very pale almost white bird, which at first I thought was a barn owl, flying across a field. It then landed in a tree above the road and as I passed under it, I could clearly (but briefly!) see that it was a largish bird of prey, but definitely NOT an owl (nor a gull!).
Just wondering if anyone else had seen this or if anyone has any ideas what it could have been.
Thanks,
Lloyd

male Hen Harrier? Can look very pale.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm coming down in favour of a (very) pale buzzard of some sort, although unless someone else saw it and got a positive ID, then I suppose I'll never know for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back