BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Wildlife Art (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   J. VanHoesen prints!!! (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=200788)

pefferlaw Friday 20th May 2011 03:42

J. VanHoesen prints!!!

Hello everyone!!! I am new here and hope someone can help. I purchased a set of 5 framed wildlife prints all signed and dated in pencil by J.VanHoesen 1980. They are copywrited so someone must have heard of this artist. I can not find out anything about him/her or their other artwork.

Has anyone heard of this person or know anything about them?

I would appreciate any information.

Larry in Pefferlaw, Ontario, Canada

KC Foggin Friday 20th May 2011 12:15

Hi Larry and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'm going to go ahead and move your thread to the 'Wildlife Art Section' as you will most likely get some answers from the very knowledgeable artists there ;)

pefferlaw Sunday 3rd July 2011 18:34

Still Searching!!!!!

I am still hoping for a response from anyone !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pefferlaw (Post 2145947)
Hello everyone!!! I am new here and hope someone can help. I purchased a set of 5 framed wildlife prints all signed and dated in pencil by J.VanHoesen 1980. They are copywrited so someone must have heard of this artist. I can not find out anything about him/her or their other artwork.

timwootton Sunday 3rd July 2011 19:19

Sorry Larry, I looked through all my resources when you first posted with no luck. I suspect that's the story regarding most other contributors to this forum; when we know something we like to tell! Keep searching. Maybe post a couple of images - that may jog a memory or two. ?
Good luck.

ed keeble Sunday 3rd July 2011 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwootton (Post 2184448)
Sorry Larry, I looked through all my resources when you first posted with no luck. I suspect that's the story regarding most other contributors to this forum; when we know something we like to tell! Keep searching. Maybe post a couple of images - that may jog a memory or two. ?
Good luck.

I like these little challenge

there's

jan van hoesen : taxidermist (a source of bobcat ear liners if you find yourself running out..)

beth van hoesen : some quite interesting bird and animal paintings

bimini1972 Thursday 15th December 2011 02:08

Could be my Uncle

Could be my Uncle Jack Van Hoesen. He was an artist in Alaska and then moved to Montana.

kubuck Wednesday 30th May 2012 12:04

Jack lived in Alaska in the 70s, at least ... I bought a large oil painting of his in Ketchikan during one of his shows there that was sponsored by Scanlon Galleries, which still exists ... painting features a brown bear rousing a ground squirrel ... still have and enjoy it ... Jack passed through Calif. c 1977-78 en route to Southwest to marry and last I heard they did move to Montana.

timwootton Wednesday 30th May 2012 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubuck (Post 2452973)
Jack lived in Alaska in the 70s, at least ... I bought a large oil painting of his in Ketchikan during one of his shows there that was sponsored by Scanlon Galleries, which still exists ... painting features a brown bear rousing a ground squirrel ... still have and enjoy it ... Jack passed through Calif. c 1977-78 en route to Southwest to marry and last I heard they did move to Montana.

Interesting thread, now - any chance of an upload of the bear and squirrel painting, please?

CamGraph Friday 4th October 2013 13:46

re Jack Van Hoesen prints 2011 post

Hello Larry, I happened across this post from 2011 and wondered if you had ever found what you were looking for. I have some info which may or may not be helpful, as now some time has passed. Let me know if you'd like, and I will share.

–CamGraph

Quote:

Stephenita Thursday 27th February 2014 04:26

Quote:

I met him in Haines, Alaska. He is a fabulous artist. Unfortunately, he has passed away.

Stephenita Thursday 27th February 2014 04:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by pefferlaw (Post 2184399)
I am still hoping for a response from anyone !!

He passed away. Jack lived in Haines, Alaska for awhile, then moved to Montana.

alaskan Thursday 24th July 2014 17:39

J. VanHoesen art

I too have purchased some of J. VanHoesen's art. I have an old pamphlet that came with my purchases. Jack VanHoesen was born in rural Michigan and moved to Alaska in 1969. His work is primarily in oils, acrylics and ink. His work was sold through J&H Sales, in Portland Oregon, at one time. His summer studio was the ART SHOP on the waterfront, POrt Chilkoot-Haines, Alaska . I have an address of PO Box 323 Haines, Alaska 99827. Hope this helps in your search.

Lancecrane Friday 27th October 2017 17:53

J Vanhoesen

I have collected a couple of his pieces
1 is a blanket dancer
The other is a crow on top of a totem pole
I also have a print of an eagle
I'm interested in any other original pieces of his.

I did visit Haines last year
Saw the art studio he used.
Talked to some people at the lumber yard next door who knew him.
Yes he moved to Montana , somewhere near Billings
He is definitely gone now.