• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID Elkorn Slough California (1 Viewer)

J dear

Poor image, sorry. I was told that the birds were Least Sandpiper, but every bird that I scan on a number of photographs shows a dark leg colour. Adjusting lighting settings does not indicate greenish yellow legs. I think that they are Western Sandpipers, but I would be grateful for any observations from local birders ( I am UK based). Thanks John

Attachments

• Sandpiper (1 of 1).jpg
    Sandpiper (1 of 1).jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 72
To me this looks like a Least Sandpiper, apart from the leg colour. I think there have been lots of pictures of Least on BF over the years where the legs looked dark in the photo so I'm happy to go along with that.

White-rumped is pretty rare on the west coast and I don't this bird has the right structure for one either.

To me this looks like a Least Sandpiper, apart from the leg colour. I think there have been lots of pictures of Least on BF over the years where the legs looked dark in the photo so I'm happy to go along with that.

White-rumped is pretty rare on the west coast and I don't this bird has the right structure for one either.

I agree with Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back