• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countryfile ringing and weighing of buzzard chicks (1 Viewer)

sarah hardman

Did anyone saw the footage of a buzzard chick being ringed by the RSPB on countryfile yesterday. Countryfile is a BBC program for the UK and closeby countries and deals with countryside issues- available to watch on iplayer- minute 14.

Is it normal or good practice to ring buzzard chicks and then weigh them by dangling them from one leg? it looked pretty bad on TV- disrespectful and potentially damaging to the bird- more so than hanging in a soft bag to be weighed anyway.

The ringing that i have seen and done was always respectful and the birds carefully weighed. i would be interested in other raptor handlers' perspective

It certainly seems odd. Most ringers work with top pan balances these days.

That said, the strongest part of a raptor is its legs, so nothing untoward would happen to a pullus that was subjected to this process.

I'm not a ringer but did see the article and thought at the time that the handling looked a little wrong but I guess the people doing it have the experience required but I say again it did look strange

As a ringer I wouldn't get behind that behaviour, especially on tv. A large bird should be weighed in a large bag and have the bag's weight subtracted. Not as exciting viewing but a darn sight better for the bird.

On this occasion I would say the BBC were unlikely to have asked for such a thing to be done specifically for the camera, though I still suspect that that disastrous cannon-netting catch of one (rather than hundreds of) brent goose on Autumnwatch in 2010 was down to the BBC really wanting the trigger pulled there and then.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back