• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 15x56 HD vs 12x50 SV fieldpro (1 Viewer)

Hati

I want to buy Swarovski bino which will give me detailed view of distant objects and I wonder which will give me more clarity, resolution, contrast and wow view: Swarovski SLC 15x56HD or SV 12x50 fieldpro? I plan to use it for handheld for short periods and also on tripod and I am curious which will be more comfortable. Many thanks!

These will both be very good, and the 12x50 is much better, easier handheld.

The 15x56 will offer more when mounted. So, there is no answer to your question.

I have experience with both sizes, and it would be nice if you could try before you buy.

Jerry

These two models are very popular in the desert southwest for locating Couse deer, Desert Big Horn and Mule deer. I've spent countless hours on the tripod behind all three renditions of the 15X56 and currently own the HD model. I've also spent a good number of hours behind the 12x50SV but don't own it.

The SV provides more of a wow factor where overall image is concerned, is slightly brighter where overall image is concerned and is far more usable as a hand held.

The biggest advantage for the 15X56HD is that it resolves more detail and does so with an overall image quality that isn't far behind the SV. This applies only to the HD version however. I owned the 15x56neu alongside the 15x56HD for about a year and took them out frequently for comparisons. The more outings I had with them, the more obvious the differences became, with notable advantages going to the HD model.

I find the 15x almost useless while handheld, even with my elbows supported on the hood or roof of a vehicle because roughly 85% animal acquisition on distant terrain relies on their movement. The severity of shake, even from my heartbeat at 15x makes seeing animal movement almost impossible. It's still difficult at 12x but it doesn't seem ridiculous like it does with the 15x's.

I think the choice will come down to the ratio of handheld vs tripod mounted viewing first and resolving power second. If you're going to use this binocular handheld for even 10% of the time, I'd say go with the SV's. If you're going to use this binocular 95% of the time tripod mounted and need to resolve very fine details, especially in low light, the 15x56HD's will be the better choice.

As a final note. I usually go into the field with two optic combinations when searching and studying animals. I'll pair the 8x32SV & 15x56HD when long periods of tripod use are expected and I'll use the Canon 10x42is & 15x56HD when I expect to be on the move, traveling from ridge to ridge, covering ground and viewing on the go.

In a pinch, I can still use the 8x32SV from a standing tripod while on the move. These days however, I prefer to the keep the tripod stowed and use the 10x42is offhand and then get out the tripod with the 15x56's when needed.

Hope that helps some!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back