• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland, UK (no picture, just a bad description!) (1 Viewer)

lazza

OK, this is a long shot...

I was at Bothal pond yesterday near Ashington in Northumberland, and briefly on the horse meadows by the road I saw a small (sparrow-sized) bird briefly flying up out of long grass. It disappreared completely into the long grass for a minute or so, before flitting up about 2-3 feet into the air and landing back in the grass. It did this 3-4 times.

My views were quite distant, and once I got closer, it had stopped, and didn't appear again.

Its most prominent feature was a very bright orange-red breast, but I didn't get a long enough views to fully register any other features, although other than the red-orange breats, it seemed mainly dark, with some white in the wings, possibly.

The only birds I can think of would be a wheatear, but the breast seemed much darker and brighter, or a stonechat, but I don't associate them with this kind of behaviour.

Any other suggestions?!

Thanks both

Andy Hurley said:
Male Chaffinch?
Male Bullfinch?
Bramling?

There are plenty of chaffinches in the area, but the behaviour didn't fit. Bullfinch - not pink enough. Brambling's a possibility, but do they skulk in long grass? To me, the behaviour was possibly fly catching....

StuartReeves said:
Behaviour sounds good for stonechat to me.

Is it common for stonechat to "hide" in long grass? My only sightings previously have been birds perched on tops of bushes or on prominent vegetation.

Sound more like a Stonechat. The breast on old males can be very bright, the patch of white at the base of the wings can be prominent and they do spend a lot of time on the deck searching for insects - and occasionally jump up to flycatch.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back