• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puple/House Finch? (1 Viewer)

tjcritter

How do you tell the difference between a purple finch and a house finch? I cannot see a difference in the photos and descriptions in my bird guide.

Well for one thing, they look more raspberry in color ;)

There is less underbelly streaking, shorter tail and a chunkier appearance in the male Purple Finch.

Funny this question should come up today. I was looking at the 20 odd house finches at my feeder today and lementing the lack of purple finches this winter, when one landed on the feeder beside the house finches. Having not seen one for a year, the first thing that struck me was the overall "sparrow dipped in raspberry juice look". It doesn't just have red areas, but has shades of red almost everywhere. And in many cases, such as the first one linked by Jan, the male has that slightly crested look to it as well, as did my bird this morning.

Scott

cavan wood said:
Funny this question should come up today. I was looking at the 20 odd house finches at my feeder today and lementing the lack of purple finches this winter, when one landed on the feeder beside the house finches. Having not seen one for a year, the first thing that struck me was the overall "sparrow dipped in raspberry juice look". It doesn't just have red areas, but has shades of red almost everywhere. And in many cases, such as the first one linked by Jan, the male has that slightly crested look to it as well, as did my bird this morning.

Scott
LOL, got my first male about an hour ago too ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back