• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painting from Photos - working with photographers (1 Viewer)

JessiBell

Hi everyone, I'm new. I've taken a long break from doing any bird painting but I want to get back into it again. My friends are encouraging me to put stuff in our local art gallery. Birds are my favorite subject matter but I'm not a super keen photographer. I'm looking to work with some photographers in getting permission to use their photos. I have some questions for those of you who have done this.

Do most photographers require payment? I only ask because this is just a hobby, I have another job and this is just basically something different for me to do and if I sell a few pieces a year it's a bonus. Also I may paint a piece and not sell it for years or even never (I have a few of those hanging up!) And should permission be granted in writing or is online permission appropriate?

Thanks.
I havn't figured out how to post a photo yet but I have a facebook page with some of my work on it : https://www.facebook.com/petportraitsprincerupert/

Hi Jessi, there are heaps of good copyright free photos out there. There are a number of groups on facebook that have photos especially for artists, two of the best ones are called "Photos for Artists" and "Artists Reference Photos".

There is also a website called Paint My Photo, that have a lot of photos.

And of course there is Flickr, just search for bird photos with a creative commons licence. Or do what I have done many times and just send an email to the photographer on Flickr and explain you would like to use their photo as a reference, and they almost always say yes.

Another option is websites like Shutterstock :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back