• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mockingbird Night Behavior with Chicks (1 Viewer)

SpiffWilkie

World's Greatest Chicken Farmer
Today my wife discovered a nest with 3 baby mockingbirds in a bush in our front yard (I saw the parents eyeing me while I was mowing a few days ago). I set up one of my surveillance cameras in the bush and have been enjoying watching the birds all afternoon. The chick appear to only be a day or two old.
Now here's my question: Do the adult mockingbirds nest with the chicks during the night to keep them warm? Currently it is dark and the parents are not around/in the nest. The camera gives off a very, very faint red light at night and I want to make sure that this is not driving off the adults if they are needed to keep the young ones warm at night.

Today my wife discovered a nest with 3 baby mockingbirds in a bush in our front yard (I saw the parents eyeing me while I was mowing a few days ago). I set up one of my surveillance cameras in the bush and have been enjoying watching the birds all afternoon. The chick appear to only be a day or two old.
Now here's my question: Do the adult mockingbirds nest with the chicks during the night to keep them warm? Currently it is dark and the parents are not around/in the nest. The camera gives off a very, very faint red light at night and I want to make sure that this is not driving off the adults if they are needed to keep the young ones warm at night.

It depends on the age of the chicks. Until they are completely feathered, the chicks are unable to regulate their body temperature & the female broods them at night (& during inclement weather during the day). After thermo-regulation is achieved, she normally roosts separately.

Last edited:
It depends on the age of the chick. Until they are completely feathered, the chicks are unable to regulate their body temperature & the female broods them at night (& during inclement weather during the day). After thermo-regulation is achieved, she normally roost separately.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really not 100% sure of the age. My guess was based off raising chickens. Just to be safe, I cut off the camera for the night. Daytime viewing will have to suffice right now.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back