• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (1 Viewer)

...well it's as close to a full review that you can get until next month ;)

The comparison shots with the Sony might interest some of you, as might the full ISO range samples. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still happy with my FZ150, but some interesting developments with the FZ1000

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz1000/panasonic-fz1000A.HTM

Thanks for this link. Looks like Sony has a decided edge regarding picture quality! A bit disappointing for a Leica lens. Or is the difference creeping in at the processing level as indicated by the noise in the ISO 3200 comparison?

Last edited:
Thanks for this link. Looks like Sony has a decided edge regarding picture quality! A bit disappointing for a Leica lens. Or is the difference creeping in at the processing level as indicated by the noise in the ISO 3200 comparison?

I suppose there might be improvements in IQ with later Firmware, as this was only a 0.3 version tested.

The faster AF (not properly tested yet), EVF, faster max shutter speed, and a few other improvements are pluses IMHO. I still think the 400mm f/l isn't enough for wildlife, though I think it's 592mm if you use the 4k video stills option (only 8mb images, but enough resolution for most of us I'd guess).

I suppose I might be interested in something like a 1/1.7in sensor and more than 400mm f/l; even the 600mm I've got would be fine with the faster AF and better low light performance. Although I'm happy with ISO800 with the FZ150, it would be nice to go a stop lower (or should that be higher? ) when needed.

I'll be interested to see which way Canon goes with the SX60; it's either longer f/l or bigger sensor, or maybe something in the middle...

I'll be interested to see which way Canon goes with the SX60; it's either longer f/l or bigger sensor, or maybe something in the middle...

Hopefully it won't be too long before we find out! After a lot of speculation, I hope it's not a disappointment.

You are going to have to get close to birds to get the best out of this camera. If you can then I'm sure that the results will be superb.
As for the canon SX60? Which I was told here was coming out late 2013 and still no show! As every day goes by you start to feel that something may of gone wrong with this camera or that there's had to be a big re-think. Was and still am looking forward to its release but feel that I would give it 4/6 months after it does come out now!

[...]

Hopefully it won't be too long before we find out! After a lot of speculation, I hope it's not a disappointment.

They always hold something back for next time, so there's always people disappointed ;)

You are going to have to get close to birds to get the best out of this camera. If you can then I'm sure that the results will be superb.
As for the canon SX60? Which I was told here was coming out late 2013 and still no show! As every day goes by you start to feel that something may of gone wrong with this camera or that there's had to be a big re-think. Was and still am looking forward to its release but feel that I would give it 4/6 months after it does come out now!

You do well enough with the SX50, Tom, so I wouldn't rush either if I was you ;)

Several years ago, I went to Costa Rica with my FZ18 superzoom, and got utterly frustrated by the poor performance inside the rather dark forests. That led to my upgrade to the GH2 + 100-300 mm lens. Had the FZ1000 been available back then, that might have been the camera I had upgraded to: looking at those 100% crops, the main advantage I have in my current combo is extra reach (which definitely is nice to have!).

Niels

It'll will be interesting to see the result of 8mp 4k video stills, Niels, and using the Extra Optical Zoom feature at the same 8mp resolution. I still don't think it'll be enough reach for me to consider though.

According to what I read somewhere recently. At a 3MP picture size the FZ1000 can zoom out to 64x which equates to 1600mm EFL. The FZ200 at 3MP equates to 47x or just a shade under 1200mm. So if these figures are correct, then the FZ1000 can outreach the FZ200 when both are using the extra optical zoom feature to extend their focal length.

Getting 8mp stills off the 4k video is something else again and I'll be very interested to see how well this works in practice.

Niels, I went to Costa Rica earlier this year and took my FZ200. I must say it performed pretty well in most circumstances. It was a bit slow in the darker areas and I used a shoulder pod to help steady the camera for those low shutter speeds. Fortunately most of the time we weren't in dark areas and the light wasn't a problem.

I think part of the difference is that the FZ200 is several generations newer than my old fz18. On my camera iso 400 was the absolute limit for me, where on the newer superzoom I would probably be able to go a bit higher. For comparison, my personal limit for the GH2 is iso3200, and if I were to switch to a camera like the GH4, I would be able to add one to two stops of sensitivity if needed.

Niels

According to what I read somewhere recently. At a 3MP picture size the FZ1000 can zoom out to 64x which equates to 1600mm EFL. The FZ200 at 3MP equates to 47x or just a shade under 1200mm. So if these figures are correct, then the FZ1000 can outreach the FZ200 when both are using the extra optical zoom feature to extend their focal length.

If this really works, then I might reconsider my aversion against this model.

I have a FZ1000 pre-ordered, so I will be testing that extra optical zoom aspect very early in the piece. I will be upset if it doesn't turn out to be correct, as I made my decision to buy one based on that piece of information.

Niels, you're right about the improvement in sensor technology. I'm getting excellent results with the FZ200 at ISO 800, but after that the quality starts to drop off a bit.

Niels, you're right about the improvement in sensor technology. I'm getting excellent results with the FZ200 at ISO 800, but after that the quality starts to drop off a bit.

I think you have understood what I meant, but for any later comers: when I said I used up to iso 400 with the fz18, what I meant was "iso 400 was lousy, but I would live with it rather than get no pictures at all".

Niels

The "extra optical zoom" in the FZ200 is not optical. It's just a cropping. Shoot in raw and look at the resolutions. If you enable the "intelligent zoom" you will see that the number of pixels is lower -> cropping.

I imagine that the FZ1000 does the same. It's not necessarily bad, and in the FZ1000 you have more pixels to spare, but it's better to be aware of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back