• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Christmas Wish Competition 2016 (2 Viewers)

Birdforum

Administrator
Some of you would have received a newsletter from Zeiss if you didn't you can still enter the Competition here.

At ZEISS we value our customers, and would like to invite you to enter our Christmas Wish competition 2016, by providing us with feedback on our products, for a chance of winning a pair of the brand new black ZEISS Victory SF 8x42 binoculars.

Christmas Wish Competition 2016

Everyone has a Christmas wish list. Regarding ZEISS Optics, what would you put on yours?
• What would make birding with our optics a better experience?
• What improvements or features would you like to see?
Please send us your Christmas wish list for ZEISS Optics by December 31st 2016 to [email protected] Every wish list will be looked at by our team and a winning entry will be picked at random. The winner will be informed on 5th January 2017, by email, and a post will be made on Birdforum.

All of us at Zeiss hope 2016 has been a great birding year for you, and wish you a very happy and successful 2017.

Yours sincerely
Your ZEISS Birding Team

Some of you would have received a newsletter from Zeiss if you didn't you can still enter the Competition here.

At ZEISS we value our customers, and would like to invite you to enter our Christmas Wish competition 2016, by providing us with feedback on our products, for a chance of winning a pair of the brand new black ZEISS Victory SF 8x42 binoculars.

Everyone has a Christmas wish list. Regarding ZEISS Optics, what would you put on yours?
Please send us your Christmas wish list for ZEISS Optics by December 31st 2016 to [email protected] Every wish list will be looked at by our team and a winning entry will be picked at random. The winner will be informed on 5th January 2017, by email, and a post will be made on Birdforum.

All of us at Zeiss hope 2016 has been a great birding year for you, and wish you a very happy and successful 2017.

Yours sincerely
Your ZEISS Birding Team

Santa Zeiss,

You change the staff quicker than you change your models. Where is your long term vision on HR worldwide?

The Victory scope, the Range and the SF 32 are far overdue. Get your priorities right, please. Why a Japanese Gavia and no German Victory?

Jan van Daalen

There is no Zeiss dealer near me that stocks the SF binoculars so I cannot test them.

I am myopic necessitating strong prescription spectacles. As best I can tell, I need an effective eye relief of 15mm as a minimum. There are BirdForum members who indicate that the SF binoculars have longer eye relief than the Swarovski Els, but even these are tight for me.

Critical for me is to know what the effective eye relief is, the eye relief in accordance with the latest ISO standard and the lomgitudinal distance from the rim of the eyepiece to the apex of the ocular lens. If you published these figures it would help me and, I suspect, others also.

So, if you think the 8x42 SF model would suit me I would appreciate winning.

sincerely,

The-Wanderer

Wandy and Jan

If you want your wishes to be considered by the Zeiss team it looks as though you need to send them to the email address in the original post, not post them here.

Wouldn't want your suggestions to not reach the right folks.

Lee

Wandy and Jan

If you want your wishes to be considered by the Zeiss team it looks as though you need to send them to the email address in the original post, not post them here.

Wouldn't want your suggestions to not reach the right folks.

Lee

Suggesting they want to read my post;)

BTW, you "belonging" to the sub-team of Zeiss; I wish that Zeiss would promote you to the official team. Zeiss could need a ambassador for its brand in the UK.

M

Suggesting they want to read my post;)

BTW, you "belonging" to the sub-team of Zeiss; I wish that Zeiss would promote you to the official team. Zeiss could need a ambassador for its brand in the UK.

M

Thank you for your kind words but I am enjoying reviewing not only Zeiss but also brands like Kowa and Meopta (and others are coming too) too much to tie myself down.

Lee

I sent the following to Zeiss:

I hope that Zeiss might:
Introduce an 8x32 SF. My 8x32 FL works fine but it is a decade old, surely there are some improvement available.
Not get caught up with the open bridge design.
Use lightweight material as was done in the Victory FL line
Happy bird watching,
Arthur

The 8x32 FL is very short compared to the x42 full-sized FL, making it competitive with the Leica 8x32 Ultravid when it comes to pack space dimensions. I'd like to see Zeiss do the same with the 8x32 SF. If the SF is long, it'll be another Swarovski 8x32 ELSV or Nikon 8x32 EDG, leaving Leica alone in the category of smallest no compromises birding optics. I'd be satisfied if Zeiss just added an astigmatism corrector to the FL.

--AP

Last edited:
If the SF is long, it'll be another Swarovski 8x32 ELSV or Nikon 8x32 EDG, leaving Leica alone in the category of smallest no compromises birding optics.

The Leica 8x32 isn't a "no compromises birding optic". The short focal length of the objective system means they have shortish eyerelief, and the Leica also suffers from readily visible CA. To keep the glare down (also more difficult in compact binoculars) they had to use fairly aggressive baffling, and this in turn means the bins aren't quite so "easy on the eye".

Hermann

The Leica 8x32 isn't a "no compromises birding optic". The short focal length of the objective system means they have shortish eyerelief, and the Leica also suffers from readily visible CA. To keep the glare down (also more difficult in compact binoculars) they had to use fairly aggressive baffling, and this in turn means the bins aren't quite so "easy on the eye".

Hermann

And if you don't have pudgy little fingers the Leica aren't easy on the hands either. Swarovs much more comfortable to hold for a perfectly proportioned person like myself o:)
Sorry, don't know about the Zeiss as I haven't held a new pair in 25 years or so. But if anybody ever built a pair of bins that had all the advantages of modern optics, waterproof design and lightweight materials, that were otherwise as downright fabulous as my original Zeiss Jenoptem 10X50s from c.1981 then that would be top of my wish-list. You felt like a proper tank commander with a pair of them round your neck and they'd definitely win in a fight with any of these namby-pamby modern jobs.
Dudes' bins the lot of 'em.

Hermann

I was glossing the details to keep my post brief. When birding, I almost always use full-sized bins (In the past, the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP; currently, the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV) to gain many subtle advantages over even the best midsized bins. But when I'm traveling/hiking and juggling camera etc with bins, I am perfectly happy using compact midsized bins (In the past, the Leica 8x32 BA; currently, the Zeiss 8x32 FL which does better on eye-relief and CA but worse on ease of viewing). I call them "no compromises" overall because I feel they are good in the hands, easy on the eyes, and reliably deliver the view (resolution, FOV) needed to make IDs, and because I don't feel they have any competition from other brands. Although I own and use them on occasion, I am not so enamored with long midsized bins (e.g. the Swarovski 8x32 EL). They pack and handle similarly to full-sized yet have all the optical disadvantages of mid-sized.

It concerns me that Swarovski left the x20 format, leaving that niche to Leica and Zeiss. I am surprised they didn't retain the 8x20 pocket alongside the new x25 models. I won't be surprised if in the next year or two they come out with a totally new 8x20 design with, e.g. better placed focus knob than the old model, and with flat-field optics.

I hope Zeiss doesn't leave the compact 8x32 format. Currently, the FL and Leica Ultravid are the only good (or should I say "no compromises" :) choices, so if the SF is a long design (maybe even longer than the EL SV!) and the FL is discontinued, that niche will be left to Leica alone.

--AP

Last edited:

Yours sincerely
Your ZEISS Birding Team

Steve:

Who is the winner ?

I didn't win, but FYI here's my list:
For better birding experience: a no-fault warranty
For improvements: 1) decent neck strap (ala Vero Vellini); 2) return to composite frame; 3) included winged eyecups; 4) great glare/flare control.

So who won these?! Lucky buggers!

Unless I'm getting scammed, I did! :t:

I got an email from Petra Kregelius-Schmidt at Zeiss informing me that I had won this morning. I didn't respond until after business hours in Germany so I have yet to confirm it. IF it *is* true this is an amazing stroke of luck as I never win anything. I'm a new birder currently using a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks which I really like and I've never even touched a high end pair of binoculars.

I'll post up here when I can confirm that they are on their way! :clap:

I can confirm that you Indeed did win them, Congratulations! I have deleted your name, your username is K9gromit.

Dear Steve,
Thank you very much for your emails and your contributions, which are very valuable for us.
We are happy to announce the winner of this competition, which is xxxxxxxxxx from Rochester, NY.
He will receive a brand new Victory SF 8x42 binocular. Congratulations!

Wishing all of you a happy new year Birding!
Sincerely,
Your ZEISS Birding Team

Unless I'm getting scammed, I did! :t:

I got an email from Petra Kregelius-Schmidt at Zeiss informing me that I had won this morning. I didn't respond until after business hours in Germany so I have yet to confirm it. IF it *is* true this is an amazing stroke of luck as I never win anything. I'm a new birder currently using a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks which I really like and I've never even touched a high end pair of binoculars.

I'll post up here when I can confirm that they are on their way! :clap:

Well done! They're fantastic bins. I'm happy they've gone to a new birder too! Enjoy. :)

W00t!!! Thanks for the confirmation, Steve! I was holding off on REALLY believing that I had won. I feel a bit unworthy of the quality of these binoculars but promise to use them a LOT. I'm retiring in less than six months and these will be a very welcome perk as I start the next phase of my life.

In celebration, I have now become a BirdForum supporter!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back