• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ASKING: CZJ 10x40 Notarem B/GA (1 Viewer)

leicaeddy

Life is hard. Play short
Does any aficionado know about the performance of CZJ 10x40 NOTAREM? Is it waterproof or not? Alas, is a brand new model worth a asking price of ~580 USD? Thx a lot. B :)

CZJ Notarem Opinions

The 10 x 40 Carl Zeiss Jena Notarem is not phase coated, and offers mid-80's roof prism optical performance, which is to say OK but bettered then and now by porros costing a fraction. The Notarem models also suffered from horrible build quality, with problems especially in the focussing mechanism and collimation integrity. Other than for a collector of DDR binos, I would not buy another Notarem at any price, and am delighted that my 10 x 40 has long ago moved on to another home.

Notarem binoculars

It is not all bad news with the Notarem. They can be good, if put together correctly, and many owners love them.
When I get a pair for servicing or repair, I always reinforce the prism units and put the focusing system together in a more reliable way. Then, with spot-on collimation and other adjustments, you have a handy binocular.
The problem was, in the East Germany days, the Zeiss (Jena) factory churned their binoculars out like sausages although they did not put them together as well as that! Numbers made was all that seemed to matter and the design of the binocular and the quality of its individual components was betrayed.
Then, when a Notarem went out of collimation (say), disreputable 'repairers' would simply adjust it externally and do nothing about the inside of it; one good shake and it was out of alignment again.
So, all you owners of Notarems, do not despair. When they need fixing, send them to a good repairer (e.g. www.opticalrepairs.com) (naturally) and they will improve the 'build quality' to what the designer intended.

Tony

Thank you for your quick responses. I wouldn't be after it for its build quality. BTW is there any other high-grade Roof made by CZJ?

In a word "No" (or as some in the U.S. would say - "Absolutely not".

Cheers

P.S. The CZJ Octarem 8 x 50 is a gem, so not all CZJ bins are bad.

I have a pair

I read your post regarding the CZJ 10x40 B/GA Notarem binoculars. I have a pair that I purchased new in 1987. They are not the quality (nor the price) of higher-end binoculars, but they have served me very well. Mine were recently collimated, cleaned and checked out throughly and I would be willing to sell them at a reasonable price if you're interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back