• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Waterproof 10x42 (1 Viewer)

clevels

I have recently bought a pair of Bushnell Waterproof Roof Prism 10x42 binoculars and I would like to say to anybody who is thinking of buying a decent, low priced with the added bonus of being waterproof would do very well with a pair of these.
They are very good optically and are very comfortable to hold they also have the rainguards which are particularly handy when you are caught in a downpour.
For more info have a look on Warehouse Express - this is where I bought mine from.

Yes bird brain they are. Stops them from steaming up when moved from different temperatures, which you probably already know that anyway.
But yes I think H20 is a perfect name for them.

Great thanks for that insite thinking of bying some cheap bins for my father for his birthday will have a look on warehouse express.

I think a review last year put them top in their price range and I remember their brightness and sharpness being commented upon very favourably.

Hope you see some cool birds with them - Bushnell's have always been "okay" but these new ones seem to be exceptional.

I managed to get to see Little Ringed Plover for the first time this year at Lee Valley with these binoculars and it was quite drizzly over the weekend - I was chuffed.
Also Chiff Chaffs, Reed Bunting, Bullfinch and many overs at Rye Meads.

clevels said:
I managed to get to see Little Ringed Plover for the first time this year at Lee Valley with these binoculars and it was quite drizzly over the weekend - I was chuffed.
Also Chiff Chaffs, Reed Bunting, Bullfinch and many others at Rye Meads.

never seen a Bullfinch at Rye Meads. Was the LRP there as well?

Hello clevels just thought id say there are two pairs of Bullfinch at Rye Meads which are seen regular and in the same place this is common once you see them thay are normally seen not far from where you first saw them hope that helps next time you are there happy hunting.

Was that me?

scampo said:
I think a review last year put them top in their price range and I remember their brightness and sharpness being commented upon very favourably.
Hello Steve
I was just looking at some old threads and I read the one above. I bought a pair of 10x42 Bushnell H20's last year and I did send a little message about them, so that 'review' you were thinking about may have mine. Maybe. They are pretty good, just not quite as bright as those Nikon Sporters we've all be 'talking' about.
marcus

I'm thinking of buying these Bushnells and have read lots of posts here about the Sporter been the one to get at this price but does anyone have any comments on the fact the Sporter is only x36 but the Bushnells are x42?
Does it make much difference in practical terms?

I've also posted on a different thread asking if people had contrasted the porros vs roofs of the Bushnells H20 as there's hardly anything in the price anymore.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself there but all advice appreciated ;)

Cheers.

I read the Bushnell review in a Birdwatching magazine review, about a year ago I think, and the reviewers praised the binoculars as being very good within their price range if I recall.

But the Nikon Sporters are in a different class. They are being sold at less than half retail price by Warehouse Express, perhaps because they are being discontinued soon? Their retail price is well over double that of the Bushnell binoculars so they should be significantly better. And from the above, it seems that despite the 36mm objective, they are still brighter than the Bushnells - which shouldn't be a surprise as you tend to get what you pay for in optics (except when a massive reduction like this is offered!).

Last edited:
boyinthebush said:
I'm thinking of buying these Bushnells and have read lots of posts here about the Sporter been the one to get at this price but does anyone have any comments on the fact the Sporter is only x36 but the Bushnells are x42?
Does it make much difference in practical terms?

I've also posted on a different thread asking if people had contrasted the porros vs roofs of the Bushnells H20 as there's hardly anything in the price anymore.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself there but all advice appreciated ;)

Cheers.

Try them out. I don't have those, but I thought even 10x36 Nikons were fine, so 8x36 anything should give a pretty broad angle. There will be a WEIGHT difference.

scampo said:
But the Nikon Sporters are in a different class. They are being sold at less than half retail price by Warehouse Express, perhaps because they are being discontinued soon? Their retail price is well over double that of the Bushnell binoculars so they should be significantly better.
The 10x42 Roof Bushnells are rrp £150, selling at £99 so the Sporters rrp price is not double but, as you say, it's still puts them up a notch on the price scale.

Seems to me it's fully waterproof vs slightly better optics for your £100.
And as Tero said, the best answer is go out and try them anyway or send them back to WarehouseExpress and swap them.
In truth, I think I'll get on just fine with either of them :t:
Thanks for all your help.

The Nikons sold for over £200 when launched and have only recently been reduced; I have never seen the H2Os above £100.

I own a pair of Bushnell H2O 8x42 ( cost £79 about 3 years ago ). They are great and the optical performance is fantastic for that kind of dough. They are robust, waterproof and are great for all round use... no probs whatsoever. Just away to buy some Swaro 8.5x42's though........ ;-) Gotta see how the other half live !

Lindsay

I have had the Swaros for a couple of years but my brother just bought the Nikon 8x42HGs. I have been more than surprised by the quality of the Nikons although both are very fine optics - if I were buying again, I'd definitely think hard about the Nikons.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back