BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Bird Identification Q&A (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Grebe Wales (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=101737)

James S Friday 23rd November 2007 21:43

Grebe Wales

1 Attachment(s)
Is this a red necked grebe? sorry for poor picture,taken in pouring rain,just after I dropped and lost shutter relise cable in the sea!
2 Grebes at Aber Dysnni,Tywyn.

lewis20126 Friday 23rd November 2007 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by James S (Post 1060873)
Is this a red necked grebe? sorry for poor picture,taken in pouring rain,just after I dropped and lost shutter relise cable in the sea!
2 Grebes at Aber Dysnni,Tywyn.

James, this is a little grebe (aka dabchick) in winter plumage.

Alan

James S Friday 23rd November 2007 22:01

thanks.

J Moss Saturday 24th November 2007 00:05

Hi James. Yes, this is a Red Necked Grebe. Not a Little Grebe, due to large bill and general structure being wrong for Little. It is facing the camera slightly, making it appear smaller, but the head is clearly rather large.

Jason

nickderry Saturday 24th November 2007 00:22

I see a little grebe here, but would like to see more photos if there are any as we know they can be misleading. Reasons for little - clear cap with buff cheeks, RN should have a more blurred demarcation with cheek smudgings, the bill is all pale, RN should have a distinct yellow base contrasting with the rest.

lostinjapan Saturday 24th November 2007 07:11

I'd go with Little Grebe as well..for reasons Nick has given.

Sean

kungsfiskare Saturday 24th November 2007 07:54

Here'a a better shot of a different little grebe in winter plumage, your bird looks identical to me. http://www.pbase.com/kingfisher/image/54040344

Michael

lewis20126 Saturday 24th November 2007 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Moss (Post 1060967)
Yes, this is a Red Necked Grebe.

No. It is a little grebe.

a

RICHARD DAWKINS Saturday 24th November 2007 09:26

Hi James
Yes i agree with most and go with Little grebe too small for RN Grebe
Regards Richard

J Moss Saturday 24th November 2007 10:05

2 Attachment(s)
I'm sticking by RN Grebe. although 5 against 1 aint good! Have you got anymore pics James? You must have thought these were RNG for some reason?!

Heres a pic of a Red necked grebe for comparrison. Note head structure, which matches the bird in question, IMO.

lewis20126 Saturday 24th November 2007 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Moss (Post 1061103)
Heres a pic of a Red necked grebe for comparrison. Note head structure, which matches the bird in question, IMO.

The Eurasian Dabchick has "no" neck. It has no yellow bill base. It has a thickish short bill. I cannot see any similarity!! They are not even in the same genus. Both are grebes I suppose....

a

dan pointon Saturday 24th November 2007 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewis20126 (Post 1061109)
The Eurasian Dabchick has "no" neck. It has no yellow bill base. It has a thickish short bill. I cannot see any similarity!! They are not even in the same genus. Both are grebes I suppose....

a

Indeed - Little Grebe for me also.

Ghostly Vision Saturday 24th November 2007 10:39

How weird! Just shows that the two can indeed look similar! Never occurred to me before!

To support the Little grebe camp, to me the bird looks large-headed and small-bodied - a classic combination for small birds. The shortness and thickness of the bill, along with the colour, also rule out Red-necked in my opinion.

RNG has a long, triangular head shape, this has a bumpy look to it.

All scientific stuff, the way I identify birds.

Sean

J Moss Saturday 24th November 2007 10:45

Hi lewis20126. Chill out, yeah?

I think I may be reading too much into the angle here, and no-one else can see it, so I'll let it go.

I cant help wondering why the photographer questioned the birds in the field though. There almost impossible birds to confuse (unless its a funny angled pic of the bird sitting low in the water that is... :P)

Jason

Ian Hamiltan Saturday 24th November 2007 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Moss (Post 1061103)
I'm sticking by RN Grebe. although 5 against 1 aint good! Have you got anymore pics James? You must have thought these were RNG for some reason?!

i agree you j ,it looks to heavy to be a little grebe:t:

Steve Waite Saturday 24th November 2007 11:28

It's a Little Grebe. It really is, RN Grebe is not an option!

Hotspur Saturday 24th November 2007 11:28

I can see where your coming from but a little grebe for me.

DPR Saturday 24th November 2007 11:32

afraid I'm also in the Little Grebe camp on this one.

J Moss Saturday 24th November 2007 11:35

Bugger, looks like your all stacking up against me! Well, I gotta go to work. I expect you all to have changed your tunes by the time I get back ;)

Jason

ps thanks Ian

Xenospiza Saturday 24th November 2007 11:51

I think it's a "hybrid Little Red-necked Grebe", just like that "Pied-billed Grebe" in the Netherlands a month ago... I'm kidding (I'd bet on Little), but with such pictures, anything is possible apparently!

Dougie Preston Saturday 24th November 2007 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenospiza (Post 1061176)
I think it's a "hybrid Little Red-necked Grebe", just like that "Pied-billed Grebe" in the Netherlands a month ago... I'm kidding (I'd bet on Little), but with such pictures, anything is possible apparently!

What about an "Escape";)

Well I thought i'd just say it before anyone else!

Edward woodwood Saturday 24th November 2007 12:26

It's a Little Grebe!

James_Owen Saturday 24th November 2007 15:24

Had a spot of trouble myself with possible RNG recently, but from the picture the bill looks certainly too stubby. I just showed the layperson girlfriend comparison pictures and she could see the difference right away.
Sometimes, I think a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Colin Saturday 24th November 2007 17:51

My first impression was Little Grebe but I pondered on winter plumaged Pied for a second but it just doesn't look right so I will stick with my first.

marklhawkes Saturday 24th November 2007 18:53

As stated by just about everyone. A clear Little Grebe