BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

James Thomas Friday 23rd February 2007 22:23

If I'm not mistaken, Loshpotts is SE 414 507

Lawts Saturday 24th February 2007 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtw521
If I'm not mistaken, Loshpotts is SE 414 507

Probably more SE 417512 - the pylons on the map cut across it.

Keith Dickinson Sunday 25th February 2007 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts

Anyone seen two Shelduck recently in the Wetherby area (dropping to one for a while) - they leave Losh and go somewhere and recently one stayed on Losh for a while? Trying to track down their other haunt.

Hi Steve, don't know if these were your birds but when travelling North on the A1 today, just before the A59 junction there's a flooded field on the west and there were a couple of shelduck on there. This was about 9.15 this morning.

Lawts Monday 26th February 2007 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson
Hi Steve, don't know if these were your birds but when travelling North on the A1 today, just before the A59 junction there's a flooded field on the west and there were a couple of shelduck on there. This was about 9.15 this morning.

Yes, Keith that'll be them. I've been told this weekend that birds move between Losh and the lakes at Allerton Park, which would fit in with your location.

As an aside, now 5 Ringed Plover on Losh.

Cheers.

DenisG Monday 26th February 2007 13:07

Quote:

Yes, Keith that'll be them. I've been told this weekend that birds move between Losh and the lakes at Allerton Park, which would fit in with your location.

As an aside, now 5 Ringed Plover on Losh.

Cheers.

Now, does anyone have a de-code Yorkshire dictionary for those of us relatively new to the forum.............|;|

............and, "Losh" is what, where............. please nicely?|:$|

Denis.

Ben M Monday 26th February 2007 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenisG
"Losh" is what, where.............

"Losh" is the shortened name for "Loshpotts", which is Steve's (Lawts's) local patch. It's near Wetherby... there's a grid ref in a post at the top of this page |=)|

Gary14 Monday 26th February 2007 15:26

Quote:

Now, does anyone have a de-code Yorkshire dictionary for those of us relatively new to the forum.............|;|

............and, "Losh" is what, where............. please nicely?|:$|

Denis.

Hi Denis, Have had a quick browse through your gallery... absolutely stunning! It has given me a haven of beauty and tranquility on an otherwise frantic Monday. Thank you.

Lawts Monday 26th February 2007 19:34

Does anyone know if the landfill site at Seamer Carr is viewable? There are two Hooded Crow there "still" according to Birdguides yesterday. A difficult Yorkshire bird, and certainly one I need.

I vaguely remember working the lakes there some years back and getting both white-winged gulls, but the landfill site looked miles away and inaccessible.

Lawts Monday 26th February 2007 20:29

Quote:

Well I had an odd day. Not really birds but please read on. I had a walk along the river at Tadcaster. Saw a Grey Heron fishing. Not much else as far as birds go but.......I was examining where the flood water had been and looking at what it had deposited as it had receeded and I found a fossilised jaw. I don't know what the animal is, but I suspect it has been hidden and preserved in the mud of the river bed for years. There are still a set of large teeth, and the bone is so old it actually looks like wood. Now it could just be a horse from about 1984, or it could be some dinosaur. Anyone know where I might take it to have it aged and examined?

I have also just noted that the PD flew off this morning. Remarkable, I thought it would be there for ages. I spent all of yesterday trying to photograph it. Rubbish shots but a lovely day in the sun chasing it up and down. I certainly couldn't blame my poor attempts on the weather. I'll check out Losh. just in case.

What about my Lawtosorus Rex. Please let me know if you know any natural history contacts.

Well the mystery has been revealed - very much an anti-climax. The Natural History Museum have confirmed the jaw belonged to a ........cow, and it could have died as recently as 10 years ago! Ah well you've gotta try. It might be 100 years old - can't really tell without further tests, but the fact is nothing special I'm afraid, and not worth doing the tests.

DenisG Monday 26th February 2007 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary14
Hi Denis, Have had a quick browse through your gallery... absolutely stunning! It has given me a haven of beauty and tranquility on an otherwise frantic Monday. Thank you.

Wow Gary, thank you for your comments, you have no idea how appreciated they are|:$|, pleased to have brightened your Monday!.

I figure that you guessed I'm not a fully 'fledged' (pun intended!) birder yet but it's not for the want of trying.................|=)|

Thanks again.

Denis.

DenisG Monday 26th February 2007 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben M
"Losh" is the shortened name for "Loshpotts", which is Steve's (Lawts's) local patch. It's near Wetherby... there's a grid ref in a post at the top of this page |=)|

Thanks for that Ben, must get some new glasses...........how'd I miss that!!|:$|

Denis.

bitterntwisted Monday 26th February 2007 23:53

Denis,

Those photos are superb. I looked at some common birds in a whole new light there. Love the magpie. Many thanks for linking. Where do you go from Selby to get those shots? The Black Swans are Fairburn, right? But where are the feeders?

Graham

PS - seems churlish but I know you'll want them labelled right - pic 13, the mystery wader is a Sanderling, and pic 87 is a Reed Warbler rathre than a Reed Bunting.

bitterntwisted Tuesday 27th February 2007 00:06

Anyhoo, finally got out to look at some birds today. First time in ages after my splurge at the start of the year. Decided on one last trip to finally nail Lapland Bunting. Did it work? Did it ####. I give up.

I did have a cracking day, though, although the lifer was rather underwhelming. A drab female Velvet Scoter roosting in heavy swell about 600 yards off the churchyard in Marske-by-the-Sea. They all count, and I've saved the sunlit male at 40 yards for next time.

Spent a good hour with the Waxwings at Skelton. Gotta love them. Could have spent all day there. And the Long-tailed Ducks on Scaling Dam are starting to look good. The male is not far off a decent spring plumage - if he hangs around a few more weeks he should look mighty fine. And his lady friend is blossoming too.

And I know all this is Cleveland but that's really Yorkshire from a birding PoV, right?

Cheers,
Graham

PS - I am gyr-tempted, may be off to Cornwall for the weekend. PM if interested although there's so much to pick up down there it may have to be a long weekend.

DenisG Tuesday 27th February 2007 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitterntwisted
Denis,

Those photos are superb. I looked at some common birds in a whole new light there. Love the magpie. Many thanks for linking. Where do you go from Selby to get those shots? The Black Swans are Fairburn, right? But where are the feeders?

Graham

PS - seems churlish but I know you'll want them labelled right - pic 13, the mystery wader is a Sanderling, and pic 87 is a Reed Warbler rathre than a Reed Bunting.

Thanks Graham, your comments are very much appreciated |:$|.

Yes, the blacks are at Fairburn along with a few other pics, but not the feeders!!. That has to be the worst feeding station I have ever seen on any reserve I have visited, anywhere, IMHO of course. Of the photo's you have seen very few are at feeding stations but the ones I think you mean are at my "lazy spot", that I often frequent when time is short or weather not condusive to decent photography. It is a couple of gate posts in Bishops Wood, Selby where there is a deeply set-back gate for the forestry folk. It can be amazing (to me, new birder!) just what species a handfull of chopped nuts and grain mixture can induce, with instant response and at only around 8-10ft distance. Less if I am the only car there!

To help with location and things seen threabouts there are a couple of ways my gallery can help but not immediately obvious. Pick a photo, to the left of the file ref at the top of the pic, click on the i icon and scroll down to the information panel, the location is normally there. Now, if you click on 'Search' and put in that location (copy and paste if you like) it will bring up all pics taken at that location. Hope that helps |=)|.

Regarding the 'churlish' comment, not at ALL!!. I'm relatively new to birding in particular but any corrections of mis-identifications of ANY subject would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your input Graham |=)|.

Denis.

schiffornis Tuesday 27th February 2007 09:29

Quote:

Thanks Graham, your comments are very much appreciated |:$|.

Yes, the blacks are at Fairburn along with a few other pics, but not the feeders!!. That has to be the worst feeding station I have ever seen on any reserve I have visited, anywhere, IMHO of course. Of the photo's you have seen very few are at feeding stations but the ones I think you mean are at my "lazy spot", that I often frequent when time is short or weather not condusive to decent photography. It is a couple of gate posts in Bishops Wood, Selby where there is a deeply set-back gate for the forestry folk. It can be amazing (to me, new birder!) just what species a handfull of chopped nuts and grain mixture can induce, with instant response and at only around 8-10ft distance. Less if I am the only car there!

To help with location and things seen threabouts there are a couple of ways my gallery can help but not immediately obvious. Pick a photo, to the left of the file ref at the top of the pic, click on the i icon and scroll down to the information panel, the location is normally there. Now, if you click on 'Search' and put in that location (copy and paste if you like) it will bring up all pics taken at that location. Hope that helps |=)|.

Regarding the 'churlish' comment, not at ALL!!. I'm relatively new to birding in particular but any corrections of mis-identifications of ANY subject would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your input Graham |=)|.

Denis.

Hi Denis

Just had another look at your site, really impressive stuff, i think the following is a Southern Screamer Chauna torquata

http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/disp...album=4&pos=95

I really liked your non-bird galleries too though i think the Tawny Owl shots are my favourite!

Cheers

ANDY

DenisG Tuesday 27th February 2007 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis
Hi Denis

Just had another look at your site, really impressive stuff, i think the following is a Southern Screamer Chauna torquata

http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/disp...album=4&pos=95

I really liked your non-bird galleries too though i think the Tawny Owl shots are my favourite!

Cheers

ANDY

Thanks guy's, it gets your names in print too as a thank you!! |=)|

Denis

Keith Dickinson Tuesday 27th February 2007 18:38

Quote:

And I know all this is Cleveland but that's really Yorkshire from a birding PoV, right?

Cheers,
Graham

PS - I am gyr-tempted, may be off to Cornwall for the weekend. PM if interested although there's so much to pick up down there it may have to be a long weekend.

Hi Graham, so long as the bird is South of the Tees then according to the Yorkshire Birding magazine rules the bird is a Yorkshire tick. Even if the observer is North of the Tees. The old Watsonian Vice-Counties are used for this, VC 61, 62, 63, 64, 65. Having just checked the numbers for this I have noticed that VC 65 actually goes into County Durham, I'll need to check things as that might mean that my black grouse location might be in VC 65 and thus a county tick.

geoff dobbs Tuesday 27th February 2007 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson
Hi Graham, so long as the bird is South of the Tees then according to the Yorkshire Birding magazine rules the bird is a Yorkshire tick. Even if the observer is North of the Tees. The old Watsonian Vice-Counties are used for this, VC 61, 62, 63, 64, 65. Having just checked the numbers for this I have noticed that VC 65 actually goes into County Durham, I'll need to check things as that might mean that my black grouse location might be in VC 65 and thus a county tick.

VC 65 extends into both Durham and Cumbria, and 64 into Greater Manchester/Lancs. The YNU gave these extensions "away" in past bird reports between 1974 and 1982, as these areas are officially recorded by other counties in the national system, but continues to include VC 62 up to the Tees...after all, the author of Birds of Yorkshire Thomas Nelson lived in Redcar and birded in today's Cleveland. We acknowledge Teesmouth Bird Club's official recording position within the Cleveland area, and follow their decisions etc.

But the YNU also includes parts of today's Yorkshire not in the VC's listed above e.g the area west of Todmorden, and areas south of Sheffield that Sheffield City Council "captured" from Derbyshire in 1934 and 1968, and Finningley/Harworth from Notts in 1974. Not many realise that Rother Valley CP is not in VC 63 but VC 57.

Whether to count a rarity at Stocks Res now in Lancs may be a debate.
My feeling now is we can list in modern Yorkshire plus Cleveland south of the Tees but forget the extensions. Otherwise, Derbyshire will be claiming Rother Valley back!

Geoff Dobbs, Editor YNU Bird Report

Lawts Wednesday 28th February 2007 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff dobbs
VC 65 extends into both Durham and Cumbria, and 64 into Greater Manchester/Lancs. The YNU gave these extensions "away" in past bird reports between 1974 and 1982, as these areas are officially recorded by other counties in the national system, but continues to include VC 62 up to the Tees...after all, the author of Birds of Yorkshire Thomas Nelson lived in Redcar and birded in today's Cleveland. We acknowledge Teesmouth Bird Club's official recording position within the Cleveland area, and follow their decisions etc.

But the YNU also includes parts of today's Yorkshire not in the VC's listed above e.g the area west of Todmorden, and areas south of Sheffield that Sheffield City Council "captured" from Derbyshire in 1934 and 1968, and Finningley/Harworth from Notts in 1974. Not many realise that Rother Valley CP is not in VC 63 but VC 57.

Whether to count a rarity at Stocks Res now in Lancs may be a debate.
My feeling now is we can list in modern Yorkshire plus Cleveland south of the Tees but forget the extensions. Otherwise, Derbyshire will be claiming Rother Valley back!

Geoff Dobbs, Editor YNU Bird Report

Geoff are you saying that using Yorkshire Birding rules, we would exclude Rother Valley?

I agree with you - modern Yorkshire plus up tp the Tees. However, I wouldn't want to be at odds with what YB use.

Hotspur Wednesday 28th February 2007 16:58

Went for the Waxwings in Pickering today. Not in the front garden-must be in the back me thinks. No one in-dammit!! Went to thornton dale for dipper and grey wagtail. Dipped dipper-inevitable really. So only Grey wag for the year today.

Mike Richardson Wednesday 28th February 2007 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspur
Went for the Waxwings in Pickering today. Not in the front garden-must be in the back me thinks. No one in-dammit!! Went to thornton dale for dipper and grey wagtail. Dipped dipper-inevitable really. So only Grey wag for the year today.

Went for the same birds yesterday and they were just as advertised on Birdguides - in the front of 52. There was even a delivery guy about a metre away totally oblivious to the birds.
After a couple of minutes the Waxwings flew into the top of a tall tree at the end of the close opposite to 52. They stayed there for the rest of our visit. This is probably where they were today???

bitterntwisted Wednesday 28th February 2007 22:03

Going to Cornwall overnight Fri/Sat for WBD & Gyr, plus others if there's time. Back Sun PM latest. There may be a space. Please PM.

This rules out Black Grouse / Goshawk for this weekend. Re the Black Grouse Nature's Calendar implied lekking not until April? I thought it began around now?

Ben M Wednesday 28th February 2007 22:42

Quote:

Re the Black Grouse Nature's Calendar implied lekking not until April? I thought it began around now?

Here's a thread on that issue, which might help:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61133

Lawts Thursday 1st March 2007 11:43

Quote:

Going to Cornwall overnight Fri/Sat for WBD & Gyr, plus others if there's time. Back Sun PM latest. There may be a space. Please PM.

This rules out Black Grouse / Goshawk for this weekend. Re the Black Grouse Nature's Calendar implied lekking not until April? I thought it began around now?

We've plenty of time to re-arrange. April is usually the best month for this lek.

Marcus Conway - ebirder Thursday 1st March 2007 15:00

Quote:

Good luck Graham. WBD is not new for me so will give it a miss, cornwall is just a bit far for me for the gyr, but I am sure it will be a blocker.