BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

Marcus Conway - ebirder Tuesday 6th March 2007 19:33

Green Woodpecker yaffling at the office todat and a party of 7 bullfinch in the scrub on sicklinghall lane.

The yaffle was an office tick.

johnnymac Tuesday 6th March 2007 21:27

Spring!

The first Sand Martins have arrived at Thrybergh CP on the 5th and today at Pugneys CP...the earliest records ever?

schiffornis Wednesday 7th March 2007 17:54

Wheldrake, NDCs etc

Hi everyone (Thanks for the info yesterday guys)

Just back from a good morning session at Wheldrake and North Duffield Carrs area.

Arrived at about 9am at Bank Island, not a lot and very wet (wellies advised!), then went on to the Wheldrake section (road underwater near the bridge, 4x4 or wellies advised again!) where we walked as far as Pool Hide before it was too deep to continue, returning to the car for about 12:30. After a brief lunch break we headed down to North Duffield Carrs. Water levels seemed very high throughout. The following were some of what was noted: (NB Weather beautiful, even warm in the am a bit cooler with increasing wind in the pm)

Barn Owl 1
Tawny Owl-calling at noon!
Black-necked Grebe (winter plum) from Pool Hide
Black-tailed Godwit and Snipe (from Wheldrake)
Ruff (at least 200 around NDCs on waters-edge and in field)
Dunlin c300
Redshank/Golden Plovers/Lapwing/Curlew/Oystercatcher a plenty
Teal and Wigeon c1000s
Whooper Swan (at least 6 scattered around)
Grey Herons (c5+)/Cormorants (3 on nests) blah blah...
Peregrine (1 male)
Marsh Harrier (a distant sighting not by me but by someone i met there)
Goldeneye/R$%^y Duck/Pintail (100s)/Gadwall/Shoveler/Mallard/Shelduck
Great Spotted Woody (4/5 seen + drummers)
Skylark (lots singing displaying, including several displaying over the water!)
Fieldfare and Redwing - a couple of large flocks moving along edge areas
Treecreeper (2)/Lotties (several)
Tree Sparrow (c10+)/Yellowhammer and Reed Bunts (lots)

Most interesting however was a Pipit from the Garganey Hide (the furthest of the two at North Duffield Carrs). I'm pretty sure it was a Scandinavian Rock Pipit. It was seen briefly very closely from the hide bathing then feeding along the left bank (for those who know the hide, it was just behind where the stepping-stone-like 'lumps of grass' come into the water from the left to right from the bank, say 25/30m from the hide).

Also lots of Ladybirds and a Peacock Butterfly were observed near the bridge at Wheldrake.

Nice day out! I think i might be going past again tomorrow so might see if i can re-find the pipit!

Cheers ANDY

Geoff Pain Wednesday 7th March 2007 18:31

Potteric Carr

Thinking of going to Potteric Carr on Sunday with the hope of getting Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.I see they are seen in Black Carr Wood is any one place better to view from or is it just pot luck?

Thanks

Geoff

Keith Dickinson Wednesday 7th March 2007 18:38

Pot luck I'm afraid Geoff.
The bird we saw in January during the Yorkshire Meet was in the middle of the wooded area, we had taken the path through the wood rather than around it. I know a few people have been since and failed to see it, whilst other folk have had good views.
I'm out birding tomorrow, haven't decided on where but Potteric is up there with Eccup and Blacktoft as one of the favoured destinations.

Richard Scott Wednesday 7th March 2007 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Pain
Thinking of going to Potteric Carr on Sunday with the hope of getting Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.I see they are seen in Black Carr Wood is any one place better to view from or is it just pot luck?

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff, its called Black Carr Wood, but think copse rather than forest. Its possible to walk through it in less than a minute, so I would suggest waiting half way along the path that runs through the middle. If you are at potteric on Sunday you might even bump into me.

birdieboy123 Wednesday 7th March 2007 19:12

I was at Potteric last weekend and they have put a sign on a fence at the spot it is usually seen, unfortunately I didn't see it

Keith Dickinson Wednesday 7th March 2007 19:41

Just seen on Birdguides that there are LEO at Fairburn, so I know now where I'm going birding tomorrow.

Hotspur Wednesday 7th March 2007 20:57

Hmm an early start prior to my tutorial sounds good.

Keith Dickinson Wednesday 7th March 2007 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspur
Hmm an early start prior to my tutorial sounds good.

PM me if you are going to Fairburn James, we can meet up. I think that there are smew still on the reserve.

Hotspur Wednesday 7th March 2007 21:06

I probably will but it wont be an extensive visit- ive gotta be in Hull at 2. Will send a txt if im going. Already got Smew this year - 2 white nuns and a redhead at Tophill ;)

Hotspur Thursday 8th March 2007 11:23

Just had my effing tutorial cancelled after i rushed from Fairburn to Hull. No worries though- 2 smart Long-eared Owls in a conifer by the pond dipping platform means there is only 1 species of regularly breeding owl for me to see in the UK- Tawny lol. Its an effort thing really. I did dip though- on a Keith Dickinson. Had to go before he arrived.

Keith Dickinson Thursday 8th March 2007 12:43

Got stuck in traffic James, reached Fairburn at 10.25. Not the best of views of the birds, what I wouldn't have given for a pair of exremely long-handled pruners. The sun was very awkward when trying to get a photo, still to download and photoshop them but they are probably no good. It was made more enjoyable by my being able to show someone their first LEO, through my scope
Had a good walk around the main lake though, 2 groups of long-tailed tits, 7 birds in one group and at least 5 in the other. There were still good numbers of goldeneye on the lake, but I failed to find any smew. In the birches on the riverbank trail tracked a willow tit for 5 minutes by song until it finally decided to show itself. Heard a GSW but couldn't find it.

Hotspur Thursday 8th March 2007 16:07

I saw a handfull of Willow Tits around the kids screen as well as long-tailed as i was the only person there before the blue rinse brigade were bought round en masse for the owls then everything cleared off as they were dead noisy- "I still cant see them. Where are they in relation to the short brown branch?"

"They are the short brown branch!!!!"

GSW flyover in the car park was nice.

Mike Richardson Thursday 8th March 2007 16:22

After several birdless weeks (apart from quick visit to see some Waxwings) I've decided to spend all of Sunday birding. Not decided on a location just yet, although Wheldrake Ings was a possibility (especially after Andy's report).

However, all this talk of LEO's has made me green with envy. Not been to Fairburn before so was wondering how easy the owls are to find. Also, how far are they from the visitors centre/ carpark? (just in case I can fit in a visit saturday afternoon after work).

Cheers

Hotspur Thursday 8th March 2007 17:06

100 yards from visitor centre- dead easy to find if they roost in the same tree (apparently they have been doing). Past the visitor centre, left on the second boardwalk. Right when you get to the far side of the ponds. You will see the kids viewing area for some feeders. Coming back from that is a couple of benches. Sit on the second one from the viewing area (ie nearest) and look into the conifer opposite. About 2/3 of the way up on the left hand side will be 2 LEOs. I hope.

peterpiper Thursday 8th March 2007 18:18

Spot on directions James, the bare tree to the left of the conifer has a thin branch positioned horizontally, the L.E.O's are in line with this, apparantly they use the same tree every year, though I haven't seen them before. No show from Buzzards either.
I also dipped with the K.D. although I was there at the same time, (app 10.am - 12.00)
sorry Kieth, if I did see you I didn't recognise you.
pete

Keith Dickinson Thursday 8th March 2007 18:28

Hi Pete,
I was the grey haired chap with the green waistcoat and plaid shirt, toting a Kowa scope. You may have heard me cursing the sun, no chance of a decent photo, took a few but they are all totally cr*p. After a circuit of the main lake the area was empty of people so I was able to settle down and enjoy the birds with the scope, that was when i got talking to the chap who had never seen LEO. He was most grateful that I was there as he had seen all the people earlier but didn't want to ask what it was. Not something I would do, but it takes allsorts.

peterpiper Thursday 8th March 2007 18:51

Kieth, I think you might have been just to my left and back a bit, I was the bloke in the grey fleece and green R.S.P.B. cap, no 'scope just bins, quite a few people were offering views through their 'scopes, totally agree about the sun,suppose we should have got there earlier
pete

Keith Dickinson Thursday 8th March 2007 19:10

Right Pete, I'm usually wearing a BTO baseball cap but forgot it today. I'll be having another bash at pictures tomorrow morning on my way to work in Castleford. The sun should be well out of the way at 7.30 am

Marcus Conway - ebirder Thursday 8th March 2007 21:13

raptor for lunch

3 Attachment(s)
clocked five raptors in a 1 hour walk at lunch! Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard (3), Red Kite (10+) and a female peregrine, which was the firest since one last March so maybe they trickle throught this way to higher ground.

The Red Kites were dancing in the sky and passing food to each toher fantastic.

Within the work recording area I also had two grey wags, which I can't rememebr seeing before, but I'm sure I have. And a colleague had a little owl on their car yesterday! Seems its all going on.

180 degree panarama showing office buildings far right

Hotspur Thursday 8th March 2007 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpiper
Kieth, I think you might have been just to my left and back a bit, I was the bloke in the grey fleece and green R.S.P.B. cap, no 'scope just bins, quite a few people were offering views through their 'scopes, totally agree about the sun,suppose we should have got there earlier
pete

Did i give you directions up to the spot? I was the 25 year old bloke shuffling off at 10.15

liverpool_bob Thursday 8th March 2007 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy2faces
clocked five raptors in a 1 hour walk at lunch! Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard (3), Red Kite (10+) and a female peregrine, which was the firest since one last March so maybe they trickle throught this way to higher ground.

The Red Kites were dancing in the sky and passing food to each toher fantastic.

Superb! How times have changed eh.

Cheers,
Bob.

peterpiper Friday 9th March 2007 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspur
Did i give you directions up to the spot? I was the 25 year old bloke shuffling off at 10.15

Yup!, that was me, by following your directions I was able to point the birds out to quite a few others, thanks mate.
pete

peterpiper Friday 9th March 2007 04:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson
Right Pete, I'm usually wearing a BTO baseball cap but forgot it today. I'll be having another bash at pictures tomorrow morning on my way to work in Castleford. The sun should be well out of the way at 7.30 am

Will be at the gym at that time, but will kep my fingers crossed for you,looking forward to seeing the pics.
pete