BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

schiffornis Saturday 5th February 2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2053042)
attached pictures are grim! light distance etc etc (thats my excuse!)

Hi Zing, glad you had a good day, these 'tits' look like Coal Tits. Where was the flock of Redpoll? Was this at Allerthorpe?
Cheers, Andy

zing Saturday 5th February 2011 22:41

great day

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis (Post 2053046)
Hi Zing, glad you had a good day, these 'tits' look like Coal Tits. Where was the flock of Redpoll? Was this at Allerthorpe?
Cheers, Andy

I started at East cottingwith (on the trail of an otter) then went to Allertorpe woods then Wheldrake ings,(Cormorants) The Allertorpe woods is the one no where near Allerthorpe its well past woodhouse grange cricket club,Redpolls were in abundence in these woods plus all the tits.treecreepers etc GSW was at East cottingwith.let me know if you need more info.

some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

DOC REED Saturday 5th February 2011 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2053033)
Good and bad news had a great day today at wheldrake ings and allerthorpe woods GSW X2 , Cormorants x5 on Wheldrake ings stacks of widgeon mutes Teal ,Treecreepers x 2, long tailed tits x 10 and then as i was leaving Allerthorpe woods i took pity on an over friendly robin and threw it some bread!!!!! within 2 seconds over 30 Tits decended on the bread Marsh,Willow, Blue and Great never seen anything like it they must be really hungry!!

sorry Doc now the bad news also spotted 10+ Redpolls in the birch trees a fellow birder with much more knowledge than me confirmed that Arctics were in there.
and to cap it all a wonderful dual barn owl fly past.

The birder will need to provide photo evidence....i HOPE there is arctic there..gods sake have had my suspicions....

Did u get Barn owl at redhouse..would be nice to know my 'pair' survived??

Paul

zing Saturday 5th February 2011 23:16

Redpoll

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOC REED (Post 2053071)
The birder will need to provide photo evidence....i HOPE there is arctic there..gods sake have had my suspicions....

Did u get Barn owl at redhouse..would be nice to know my 'pair' survived??

Paul

Barn Owls were at Thorganby Nr Wheldrake Redpoll spotter i had no reason to doubt very experienced birder.

DOC REED Saturday 5th February 2011 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2053075)
Barn Owls were at Thorganby Nr Wheldrake Redpoll spotter i had no reason to doubt very experienced birder.

But are you saying arctic redpoll at redhouse??Or some other site??

Don't care if they at Allerthorpe..well do, but don't if know what i mean. Any birder finfing arctic should be reporting it...allerthorpe or wherever...

Paul

zing Saturday 5th February 2011 23:22

Arctics

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOC REED (Post 2053076)
But are you saying arctic redpoll at redhouse??Or some other site??
Paul

Redpolls at Allerthorpe woods nr pocklington East Yorks

i suspect the high winds have blown them eastwards

if you need more info let me know.

Lawts Sunday 6th February 2011 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by aythya_hybrid (Post 2052885)
Greetings everyone, I'm a newcomer to this neck of the woods, having moved to Leeds late last year.

Today I managed to fit in my first birding trip in West Yorks, at Fairnburn Ings. Couldn't get over the numbers of tree sparrows and willow tits. Tremendous.

Anyway, late morning I was one of small group of birders scrutinising a sizeable flock of redpolls (I reckoned maybe 60-70) outside the village bay hide. There were quite a few really smart pale mealies, in fact I got the impression the flock seemed to be mostly mealy, but obviously hard to work out ratios. I very briefly got on one bird which I thought looked pretty good for arctic - markedly paler than the others and head and bill shape looked good - but it scarpered within seconds, and eventually the whole flock disappeared.

Slightly confused to read on birdguides that the earlier report of an artic from Fairnburn was with a flock of lessers, and the flock I and others were dealing with definitely had a sizeable number of mealies in with them. In any case, a really nice flock, just a pity the light was so bad. And Fairnburn is superb, will no doubt be heading down there regularly from now on....

Jonathan

Jonathan don't read the Wetherby News birding round-up - you'll be even more confused. According to this, there are "scores of Arctic" at Fairburn.:-O

Re Zing's post and the birder he met, I think we do need to regain some perspective re Arctic Redpoll. It was only a few years ago it was a BB rarity. He shouldn't be making throw away comments like that - I wonder if he meant Common? There are too many reports of Arctics being called across Britain. I'd still prefer it to be a BB rarity with the redpolls being such a tricky family. I wouldn't pay too much attention to anyone who glances up at a tree and claims Arctic moments later. If he's a regular at the site and has been studying them, and will be submitting them to the county recorder then fair enough. We'll see what transpires.

During that big influx of Commons - over ten years ago, I've an in-hand photo of an Arctic that was trapped at Wintersett Res. late in the afternoon and was roosted overnight. It was a first winter bird. I won't show it to the Doc as he may need one afterwards. You'd have never suspected Arctic in the field - I'll have to dig out the photo and try and post it. From memory its back tones were more like a Lesser. Neat bill though.

However, sometimes the redpolls can play ball - see next post......

Lawts Sunday 6th February 2011 05:07

Redhouse

3 Attachment(s)
I went up to see the Doc's "patients" yesterday. There must be at least fifty birds still in the flock. They don't settle for long as the Doc says, so it's hard to grill them. Based on my views yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if the mix was fifty/fifty, perhaps slightly more Lessers. It's hard to grill them to check for an Arctic.

I got them coming down to the ground for the first time during my visits. It's just a theory, but given Friday's winds, more seed may now be on the floor, so hopefully we'll see more of this behaviour. The light was hopeless and I was needed at home, so I was only there very briefly.

However, I just wanted to emphasise from these poor shots, (light - camera going back to shop so everyone else gets sun) how easy Common and Lesser can be to tell when seen together on the ground without sky behind. I've not cropped the shot where they are by the tree to give an "in the field" appreciation.

Trystan Sunday 6th February 2011 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadsbyClareScott (Post 2052950)
bumping the hawfinch post....

Hi Clare,

Belated (and now probably useless reply), it was around 10am when I arrived at clumber, the Hawfinch were on their way out, the lesser spotted woodpecker was around about 30 minutes after that.

Still toying with heading to welwick today, via south ferriby but I think this weather might keep all the raptors down :( . Thanks for the info on parking Andrew.

Hotspur Sunday 6th February 2011 07:54

Going down to Patrington Haven/Welwick Saltmarsh on Weds so for work so will report back then. My boss had 200ish Pale-bellied Brent down there last week as well as 4 SEOs roosting in the plantation behind the floodbank at Pat Haven, Merlin, male Hen Harrier and 2 Peregrines.

James Thomas Sunday 6th February 2011 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts (Post 2053170)
During that big influx of Commons - over ten years ago, I've an in-hand photo of an Arctic that was trapped at Wintersett Res. late in the afternoon and was roosted overnight. It was a first winter bird. I won't show it to the Doc as he may need one afterwards. You'd have never suspected Arctic in the field - I'll have to dig out the photo and try and post it. From memory its back tones were more like a Lesser. Neat bill though.

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2011/01/...-redpoll-no-3/

BeadsbyClareScott Sunday 6th February 2011 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trystan (Post 2053236)
Hi Clare,

Belated (and now probably useless reply), it was around 10am when I arrived at clumber, the Hawfinch were on their way out, the lesser spotted woodpecker was around about 30 minutes after that.

Still toying with heading to welwick today, via south ferriby but I think this weather might keep all the raptors down :( . Thanks for the info on parking Andrew.

Hi Trystan,

Thanks so much... I appreciate it. We`re hopefully going Tuesday.
re the RLB - My friends tell me the weather is still yucky in that part of the world... I`d probably go another day, its a long drive... I was over at South Ferriby on Thurs, it was pretty windy, the RLB was flying/hovering, but at a distance... managed a record shot, in the loosest sense of the term.

=)

David Adamson Sunday 6th February 2011 10:05

Hi Clare,
Sorry about the delay, didn't log on yesterday. The Hawfinches at Clumber are definitely early birds. I have never seen one after 11-o clock even though I have stood about three or four hours after that.

aythya_hybrid Sunday 6th February 2011 10:09

Thanks for everyone's responses, all very interesting, especially the claim that there were "scores" of Arctic Redpolls at Fairburn! Lawts, lovely photos of Mealy, really smart birds...

BeadsbyClareScott Sunday 6th February 2011 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Adamson (Post 2053322)
Hi Clare,
Sorry about the delay, didn't log on yesterday. The Hawfinches at Clumber are definitely early birds. I have never seen one after 11-o clock even though I have stood about three or four hours after that.

Thanks David, i`ll get everyone to go early... I`m going to be popular =)

James Thomas Sunday 6th February 2011 15:30

River Aire currently filling Fairburn Ings via Roman Road (closed) and Hicksons after going over near Allerton Bywater (now full). Aire also over near Woodlesford.

Bumped into Lawts at Redhouses, only a few Redpoll seen, all flyovers. Ouse very wide there.

andy hood Sunday 6th February 2011 18:00

Had a ride out of county this morn to Clumber Park , had 2 Hawfinch (nice lifer for me:t:) at the top of a big tree about 150 yards from the Chapel just after 10am , a Mistle Thrush flew into the tree and scared them off, and they flew of in the direction of the car park, didnt see any LS Woodies tho, will def go again sometime

Martin Standley Sunday 6th February 2011 18:49

Beacon Ponds

3 Attachment(s)
Had a cracking day at beacon Ponds today-some common wildfowl, plenty of brent geese and a few common waders. Star bird was this cracking slavonian grebe.Nothing at all on beacon Lane on the way back though.
For anyone interested there is a full account on the blog.

zing Sunday 6th February 2011 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Standley (Post 2053798)
Had a cracking day at beacon Ponds today-some common wildfowl, plenty of brent geese and a few common waders. Star bird was this cracking slavonian grebe.Nothing at all on beacon Lane on the way back though.
For anyone interested there is a full account on the blog.

fantastic stuff martin and the blog is very helpful.

very interested in the digiscoping angle, have just taken the plunge myself.

somepics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

zing Sunday 6th February 2011 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by joespy (Post 2053803)
Three decent pics ( considering light) of Coal Tits

thanks for the comments still getting my head round the B****y camera,the odd thing was that when i threw the bread down for the robin i have never seen so many tits fly to the ground to clean up the bread.

Lawts Sunday 6th February 2011 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Thomas (Post 2053252)

That's the bird. I was there that morning. My photo is the same as the top one, which is why I remember it as not a classic - the others say Arctic a bit more.

When it was released it did sit in a tree for ages and fluff up the rump, which suddenly appeared large and white. Not easy!

There were Commons being netted in the morning as well.

pete seaman Sunday 6th February 2011 19:05

We managed to catch up with local Waxwings yesterday following a pre breakfast phonecall from a friend who lives near our local Morrison's here in Ripon.At least 52 birds showing well in her garden and surrounding area,well worth missing breakfast and a first decent sighting of them for the wife.

Lawts Sunday 6th February 2011 19:08

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Thomas (Post 2053568)
River Aire currently filling Fairburn Ings via Roman Road (closed) and Hicksons after going over near Allerton Bywater (now full). Aire also over near Woodlesford.

Bumped into Lawts at Redhouses, only a few Redpoll seen, all flyovers. Ouse very wide there.

Yes sorry Jim - the sun had come out for you then I turned up:-O

After I left you even the Marsh Tits failed to show. I checked the path a couple of times for the redpolls and gave up as the light closed in.

Got back to the lay-by and..............................you gotta laugh!

James Thomas Sunday 6th February 2011 19:26

Marvellous!

joespy Sunday 6th February 2011 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts (Post 2053822)
Yes sorry Jim - the sun had come out for you then I turned up:-O

After I left you even the Marsh Tits failed to show. I checked the path a couple of times for the redpolls and gave up as the light closed in.

Got back to the lay-by and..............................you gotta laugh!

They look like the ones that Doc has "tamed"..............:-O