BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

zing Sunday 13th February 2011 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis (Post 2060031)
A nice evening at North Duffield, looked a bit like the north sea in the wind and rain. Highlight being 104 Whoopers, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Redshank, lots more seen, further details on my blog

Andy
top stuff on the blog as usual, i wanted to raise this one with you went for a stroll between east cottingwith and hagg bridge saturday but was saddened to see 5 dead mutes mainly young birds, 3 had been heavily predated but two seemed to be fully in tact,could not get close enough to identify rings etc,
is this normal? and should i report it to anyone?

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

northernloon Sunday 13th February 2011 20:42

BF meet
 
2 Attachment(s)
The Med Gull from Holbeck today

zing Sunday 13th February 2011 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernloon (Post 2060256)
The Med Gull from Holbeck today

top shot ken nice one!

brianr Sunday 13th February 2011 20:58

Hello i met a group of Leeds RSPB members at Cresswell pond Northumberland yesterday. I hope the rest of your day went well, and i hope you caught up with some of the local species i mentioned.

regards brian r

naturenorth Sunday 13th February 2011 21:36

A little video I took at lunchtime of the long-staying Ring-billed Gull at Sands Lane GP, Mirfield:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jr_studio/5442884022/

14 Goosander present plus Tufties, Mallard, Mute, BH, Med, Common Gulls etc.

schiffornis Sunday 13th February 2011 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2060216)
Andy
top stuff on the blog as usual, i wanted to raise this one with you went for a stroll between east cottingwith and hagg bridge saturday but was saddened to see 5 dead mutes mainly young birds, 3 had been heavily predated but two seemed to be fully in tact,could not get close enough to identify rings etc,
is this normal? and should i report it to anyone?

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Hi Zing - glad you liked the blog post.

Might be worth ringing the Natural England Office up at Wheldrake to inform them where they were so they can check them for rings and establish how/why they died (eg check for illegal hunting/hitting overhead wires etc). With them being Swans they might also need to be sent off to check for bird flu (although very unlikely i guess). If they are ringed they might be able to gather some usful information from the bodies.

Cheers, Andy

zing Sunday 13th February 2011 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis (Post 2060333)
Hi Zing - glad you liked the blog post.

Might be worth ringing the Natural England Office up at Wheldrake to inform them where they were so they can check them for rings and establish how/why they died (eg check for illegal hunting/hitting overhead wires etc). With them being Swans they might also need to be sent off to check for bird flu (although very unlikely i guess). If they are ringed they might be able to gather some usful information from the bodies.

Cheers, Andy

thanks Andy also looked a

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/anima...-dead-bird.htm


will give them a ring tomorrow. i know the last three months have been rough for them but it just seems wrong that 5 birds have perished in the space of three miles.

BeadsbyClareScott Sunday 13th February 2011 22:15

1 Attachment(s)
Spent yesterday over at Harewood for the red kites, then made our way over Hull way... Marsh Harrier, RLBuzzard again, Bitterns, SEO`s, Barn Owl... this one will take some beating.

=)

DOC REED Sunday 13th February 2011 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadsbyClareScott (Post 2060361)
Spent yesterday over at Harewood for the red kites, then made our way over Hull way... Marsh Harrier, RLBuzzard again, Bitterns, SEO`s, Barn Owl... this one will take some beating.

=)

WoW!!!!!

BeadsbyClareScott Sunday 13th February 2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOC REED (Post 2060365)
WoW!!!!!

I couldn`t wait to get back home to start editing my pics! I`m SO sad.

haha

DOC REED Sunday 13th February 2011 22:25

Redhouse
 
3 Attachment(s)
Glad some are realising other stuff is there.sat had the redpolls as usuall;(they now have own site, Please check it thos who are interested, there are some interesting birds amongst them(.However saturday , as mentioned, the woodpeckers were frisky, marsh tits coming down too 4 feet at times on feeders, and this sprawk came through, literally was chasing redpolls aroound my head!

Think it got the only Arctic on site ......before i got the photo!!!:smoke:

Paul

zing Sunday 13th February 2011 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadsbyClareScott (Post 2060361)
Spent yesterday over at Harewood for the red kites, then made our way over Hull way... Marsh Harrier, RLBuzzard again, Bitterns, SEO`s, Barn Owl... this one will take some beating.

=)

brilliant!!! ok when,where,how what kit etc etc

Ben M Sunday 13th February 2011 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadsbyClareScott (Post 2060361)
Spent yesterday over at Harewood for the red kites, then made our way over Hull way... Marsh Harrier, RLBuzzard again, Bitterns, SEO`s, Barn Owl... this one will take some beating.

=)

That is one great photo! Well-done!

BeadsbyClareScott Sunday 13th February 2011 22:47

thanks guys... my friend lent me his 1D mkIV and 500mm f4... i`m one lucky laydeee =)

northernloon Sunday 13th February 2011 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2060341)
thanks Andy also looked a

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/anima...-dead-bird.htm


will give them a ring tomorrow. i know the last three months have been rough for them but it just seems wrong that 5 birds have perished in the space of three miles.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, that's a link for Northern Ireland ;)

zing Monday 14th February 2011 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernloon (Post 2060405)
Just in case you hadn't noticed, that's a link for Northern Ireland ;)

doh!!! must rediscover my ability to read, cheers Ken

liverpool_bob Monday 14th February 2011 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdFlower (Post 2059609)
The people who monitor the Red Kites have sent me out an email below about monitoring the current Barn Owl population via the Wolds Owl Group. I have checked with them & they are interested in ALL sightings of Barn Owls in East Yorkshire. Please give a date for your sightings, if at all possible a grid ref, but if not, a precise description of the location, and of course if you see more than one Owl at the same time, please include that information.

Two different birds have been seen fairly regularly around Kelk over the last month.

knocker7800 Monday 14th February 2011 12:31

Barn owls
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by liverpool_bob (Post 2060682)
Two different birds have been seen fairly regularly around Kelk over the last month.

2 birds also just outside wheldrake on the elvington road.

Duckwoman Monday 14th February 2011 13:57

Single red kite circling over Headingley stadium around 2.30pm today

David Adamson Monday 14th February 2011 14:10

Hi All,
Went down the garden this morning and found a half broken eggshell from a Collared Dove. Surely in this cold winter this has got to be a record of some kind to have young in the nest by Feb 14th.
Dave

DOC REED Monday 14th February 2011 16:35

Iceland gull
 
2 Attachment(s)
couple images from BF meet sat.(Scarboro harbour).
Anyone else interested could take a look at latest redpoll 'contender' on redpoll forum.

schiffornis Monday 14th February 2011 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOC REED (Post 2060962)
couple images from BF meet sat.(Scarboro harbour).
Anyone else interested could take a look at latest redpoll 'contender' on redpoll forum.

Nice pics Doc

Keith Dickinson Monday 14th February 2011 19:11

Tyke Meet report now on thread HERE

zing Monday 14th February 2011 20:17

Ldv
 
4 Attachment(s)
a pleasant afternoon at the duff carrs,pintail,widgeon,redshank mutes and black swans dunlin,100s of lapwings geese etc and then this fellow turned up,
any ideas anyone.
sadly could not get any closer.



some more pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Keith Dickinson Monday 14th February 2011 20:24

it's a dabchick zing, or if you want the posh name a little grebe.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2014