BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

zing Sunday 20th February 2011 18:15

Allerthorpe woods
 
1 Attachment(s)
Freezing wind, rubbish light but plenty of great tits (20+) coal tits (5-7) blue tits (10+) marsh and/or willow tits (10-15) chaffinch (5) plus plenty of robins and blackbirds. and the star performer of the afternoon.(thumbnail) but even he got fed up after 5 minutes!!

Andrew Gibson Sunday 20th February 2011 18:16

Had two reports of red kite from Holderness today.
First was mid week in Welwick and the next was this afternoon over Otteringham, both from differnt people.

Saggitarius serpentarius Sunday 20th February 2011 18:23

1 Attachment(s)
Two pairs of bullfinches at Strensall Common this afternoon. It was blinking chilly and light was pants so unfortunately not the best of shots.

Attachment 309412

awhitehead2011 Sunday 20th February 2011 18:56

Great Grey Shrike at North Duffield Carrs
 
Second Shrike species in 9 months...amazing! The bird appeared to go to roost in the hedge to the left of the Geoff Smith Hide. Great weekend B (:

More on my Blog...

DOC REED Sunday 20th February 2011 19:04

E Yorks Barn Owls
 
Had 2 today, one at Emmottland(1140) the other between N Frodingham and ?Beaford 1230.
Loads Sanderling Fraisthorpe beach but it was coooooold!!!!

zing Sunday 20th February 2011 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by awhitehead2011 (Post 2066656)
Second Shrike species in 9 months...amazing! The bird appeared to go to roost in the hedge to the left of the Geoff Smith Hide. Great weekend B (:

More on my Blog...

Top notch Alan nice one,this idiot (me) decided to give the GS hide a miss today even though its just about walking distance from my house.

Love the blog!!

awhitehead2011 Sunday 20th February 2011 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 2066739)
Top notch Alan nice one,this idiot (me) decided to give the GS hide a miss today even though its just about walking distance from my house.

Love the blog!!

Very kind. Would have missed it myself except for help from a couple of fellow Birders! Thanks again lads...
Might be worth a peep first thing tomorrow?

schiffornis Sunday 20th February 2011 21:00

Great afternoon at North Duffield Carrs - Great Grey Shrike sat right in front of the hide - good to meet some of the locals - thanks for the mention in the blog alan.
Further details of the Great Grey Shrike and some AMAZING photos on my blog now...

joespy Sunday 20th February 2011 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson (Post 2065749)
Joe, stormcocks are mistle thrushes in Leeds as well

Have you got Seven coloured Linnets (Goldfinch) and Cuddies (Dunnock) there as well Keith....?
Will expect some decent pics now thro' your Ramblings with the new Camera Keith...! :t: Cheers Joe

awhitehead2011 Sunday 20th February 2011 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis (Post 2066838)
Great afternoon at North Duffield Carrs - Great Grey Shrike sat right in front of the hide - good to meet some of the locals - thanks for the mention in the blog alan.
Further details of the Great Grey Shrike and some AMAZING photos on my blog now...

Thanks again Andy for the shout!

naturenorth Sunday 20th February 2011 22:41

Just found out this morning when doing a trudge round Staveley YWT in the mud and rain that Nosterfield NR had a Shore Lark by the main lake last weekend.

Highlight at Staveley today was Pintail on West Lagoon.

schiffornis Sunday 20th February 2011 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturenorth (Post 2066951)
Just found out this morning when doing a trudge round Staveley YWT in the mud and rain that Nosterfield NR had a Shore Lark by the main lake last weekend.

Shame that didn't come out - unless I missesd it!???

Jono L Monday 21st February 2011 13:52

Great Grey Shrike still from Geoff Smith Hide, North Duffield Carrs, this morning 8.10-20am at least. The bird favoured bushes around the scrape.
Also, 70+ Whooper Swans first thing and a Barn Owl.
I will bung some shaky shots on the blog tonight.
Cheers Jono

pete seaman Monday 21st February 2011 15:59

I don't think the Shore Lark at Noster stayed around for long,it went on their web over a week ago.Good news about the Staveley Pintail,might get there tomorrow,usually plenty on interest there and only a short drive from home.

andy hood Monday 21st February 2011 18:28

No sign of the Shrike at North Duffield Carrs mid/late morn (spent about 50 mins in the Geoff Smith hide) so i headed off to Blacktoft Sands, had great views of 2 Long Eared owls roosting by the Xerox hide
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...redOwls001.jpg

schiffornis Monday 21st February 2011 20:25

I managed to get 10 minutes with the Great Grey Shrike this morning, some more useless pictures on my blog. Good to meet up with some more local birders today.

Cheers, Andy

zing Monday 21st February 2011 23:50

Todays efforts
 
4 Attachment(s)
No show shrike, but will be back tomorrow, plenty of whoopers,widgeon, teal and lots of lapwing,coots,moorhen,grey lags ,shovelor,mutes but bird numbers in general down on recent days. both north duff hides open not flooded,

Then onto north cave, loads of redshank,widgeon,mutes,tufted, siskin on feeders but no water rail.

Secret Twitcher Tuesday 22nd February 2011 18:34

Interesting Cormorant in Mirfield
 
Not sure of how much interest this will be but whilst at Sand's Lane today (Ring-Bill present at 1.30) I came across an unusaul Cormorant which I think shows features of the continental race Sinensis. Not really sure how unusual this is but after doing a bit of research I am now aware of the difficulties involved in splitting Carbo and Sinensis in the field. Still thought this was an interesting bird though and worth a mention.

Can't upload pics for some reason so if anyone is interested, photos of the bird are on my blog...

David Adamson Tuesday 22nd February 2011 19:55

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Long Eared Owls are still present at Blacktoft, cannot make it until tomorrow but would be nice to know if they are sticking around. I'll keep my fingers crossed and make do with the Harriers if I miss out.
Cheers
Dave.

pete wragg Tuesday 22nd February 2011 20:05

Carcroft Tip
 
Does anyone know where Carcroft Tip is ?

A Glauc and a Caspian Gull were reported from there today.
Wondered if anyone knows where you view from and what sort of numbers of Gulls it's been getting.
Would be good to have somewhere local to look at Gulls ,now that Poolsbrook and the Sheffield tips aren't doing it.

Pete.

andy hood Tuesday 22nd February 2011 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Adamson (Post 2068893)
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Long Eared Owls are still present at Blacktoft, cannot make it until tomorrow but would be nice to know if they are sticking around. I'll keep my fingers crossed and make do with the Harriers if I miss out.
Cheers
Dave.

2 birds roosting next to the Xerox Hide yesterday :t:

Andrew Tongue Tuesday 22nd February 2011 20:33

Request for photos
 
Hull Valley Wildlife Group is looking for photographs of birds and other wildlife, rare or otherwise, taken in the area during 2010 for a forthcoming small annual report.
Any pictures would be gratefully received.
The HVWG recording area is shown here: http://www.hullvalleywildlifegroup.co.uk/page3.html
Please PM me if you would like to contribute.
All published photographs will be credited.

Thank you

Andrew

David Adamson Tuesday 22nd February 2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete wragg (Post 2068901)
Does anyone know where Carcroft Tip is ?

A Glauc and a Caspian Gull were reported from there today.
Wondered if anyone knows where you view from and what sort of numbers of Gulls it's been getting.
Would be good to have somewhere local to look at Gulls ,now that Poolsbrook and the Sheffield tips aren't doing it.

Pete.

HI Pete,
Carcroft tip is on Bentley Moor Lane, DN6 7BD.
best of luck
Dave

pete wragg Wednesday 23rd February 2011 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Adamson (Post 2069066)
HI Pete,
Carcroft tip is on Bentley Moor Lane, DN6 7BD.
best of luck
Dave


Thanks for that Dave,

Might have a look on Friday, Unless I finally give in and go for the pigeon.

Pete.

DOC REED Wednesday 23rd February 2011 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Tongue (Post 2068934)
Hull Valley Wildlife Group is looking for photographs of birds and other wildlife, rare or otherwise, taken in the area during 2010 for a forthcoming small annual report.
Any pictures would be gratefully received.
The HVWG recording area is shown here: http://www.hullvalleywildlifegroup.co.uk/page3.html
Please PM me if you would like to contribute.
All published photographs will be credited.

Thank you

Andrew

Hi Andrew
just wondered exactly what you are interested in.eg I have some fab pics of Kingfisher at Tophill..but guessing u might have tons of these.Can you narrow it down slightly....I would like to contribute

Paul


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2014