BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

andy hood Monday 27th February 2012 18:14

Red-necked Grebe

Scarborough Harbour yesterday

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...e027edited.jpg

joespy Monday 27th February 2012 18:48

Tophill Low

Had my first day here today.... a good looking reserve with development still underway.
It started well with Goldcrest in the conifers in front of the car as we arrived.
Reports for the day showed Med Gull on the "D" pond and Red head and Pintail on the Watton reserve pond.... we dipped on those :-C ... but did see c45 Curlew on the same pond. :t:

Dint See It Monday 27th February 2012 19:58

I'm working at clifton moor, york + i've seen sightings of iceland +glaucous gull posted for upper poppleton. I'm hoping to get out in my break to try and get them. Does anyone know the exact location?

Thanks Paul

timmyjones Monday 27th February 2012 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dint See It (Post 2375210)
I'm working at clifton moor, york + i've seen sightings of iceland +glaucous gull posted for upper poppleton. I'm hoping to get out in my break to try and get them. Does anyone know the exact location?

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

You can park in the Laybys along newlands lane off the a59 and view into the fields should be obvious where they are but roughly se548540

Best of luck

Lawts Monday 27th February 2012 21:15

Glauc - Hornsea

Has anyone been to see the Glauc. at Hornsea. The reports keep saying it's on the jetties. I'd have thought that would mean it's showing very well, and would have expected some pic's. by now.

Are there other more distant jetties - just wondering if worth the trip. Clearly it's in and out, but some kind of pattern emerging.

Lawts

birdieboy123 Tuesday 28th February 2012 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts (Post 2375311)
Has anyone been to see the Glauc. at Hornsea. The reports keep saying it's on the jetties. I'd have thought that would mean it's showing very well, and would have expected some pic's. by now.

Are there other more distant jetties - just wondering if worth the trip. Clearly it's in and out, but some kind of pattern emerging.

Lawts

I saw it on Saturday along with the Iceland, It seems to arrive early afternoon (1 o'clock on Sat) and sits on the jetties, there are some photos on THIS BLOG

Lawts Tuesday 28th February 2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdieboy123 (Post 2375495)
I saw it on Saturday along with the Iceland, It seems to arrive early afternoon (1 o'clock on Sat) and sits on the jetties, there are some photos on THIS BLOG

Cheers John - not showing too badly then!

tyson7 Tuesday 28th February 2012 14:11

I saw a raptor at around 10am in Alwoodley, North Leeds. Too big to be a sparrowhawk & too small for a buzzard or kite plus the wings were too sharp at the ends for those 2 birds?

Any ideas?

Chris

Lawts Tuesday 28th February 2012 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson7 (Post 2375764)
I saw a raptor at around 10am in Alwoodley, North Leeds. Too big to be a sparrowhawk & too small for a buzzard or kite plus the wings were too sharp at the ends for those 2 birds?

Any ideas?

Chris

Was it souring quite high, circling and giving the occasional flap to keep it up?

tyson7 Tuesday 28th February 2012 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts (Post 2375766)
Was it souring quite high, circling and giving the occasional flap to keep it up?

No it was just above tree height & it flapped afew times. Definatley a bird of prey.

liverpool_bob Tuesday 28th February 2012 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson7 (Post 2375871)
No it was just above tree height & it flapped afew times. Definatley a bird of prey.

Peregrine?

tim@Grimston! Tuesday 28th February 2012 20:09

Lesser Pecker sightings

Hi all,

can anyone please P M me if they know of any 2012 Lesser Pecker sightings in Yorkshire, cheers Tim

Keith Dickinson Tuesday 28th February 2012 20:14

Lesser pecker seen almost every month at Potteric Carr, but it is just a small handful of sightings.
Learn the call and the drumming pattern and get out now in any and every patch of old woodland, you'll stand a good chance of finding your very own.

tyson7 Tuesday 28th February 2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by liverpool_bob (Post 2375927)
Peregrine?

Possibly. Its wings were straight & sharp at the ends. I always think of Peregrines as having their wings bent like when they dive. I thought it looked bigger than a Peregrine but maybe it just looked bigger because it had its wings fully extended.

Cheers

Chris

DOC REED Wednesday 29th February 2012 00:26

York and suoundings

2 Attachment(s)
At several undisclosed sites today i have had repoll, siskin ,buzzard,red kite,little owl,barn owl, seo and red kite.

schiffornis Wednesday 29th February 2012 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim@Grimston! (Post 2376164)
Hi all,

can anyone please P M me if they know of any 2012 Lesser Pecker sightings in Yorkshire, cheers Tim

On the subject of Lesser Peckers this may be of interest.

Cheers Andy

WACCOE Wednesday 29th February 2012 13:06

Had a walk around Wood Hall on Gale Common this morning, with a flock of 40+ Redpolls putting in appearance, first time I have seen this species at this site.

Lawts Wednesday 29th February 2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson7 (Post 2375871)

I only ask as I saw a similar sized raptor at c.12.00 o'clock yesterday in Wetherby - circling high. It completely threw me - no bins with me, but it was too big for Sprawk, too small for Buzzard or Red Kite, which are the three regulars.

It was behaving like an accipiter - possible Gos, or more likely large female Sprawk.

BirdFlower Wednesday 29th February 2012 17:45

Hope it's not too posh to mention on here, but for the next 3 days you can hear Andy R on the Radio 3 iPlayer on 'Inspired by Birds'. A programme about how & why composers have been inspired by birdsong. Luckily, it's not all Messiaen, who I just don't get. There's a great piece about the Whooper Swans which inspired Sibelius etc: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cj1c9

Andy R is about 38 mins in (if you can't bear to listen to the full thing!)

roger1234 Wednesday 29th February 2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOC REED (Post 2376384)
At several undisclosed sites today i have had repoll, siskin ,buzzard,red kite,little owl,barn owl, seo and red kite.

in the march edition of bird watching magazine there is an article and featured on the front page entitled "owls close up", where to WATCH barn owls,short -eared owls and more on a feeding frenzy,plenty of good pictures,and more importantly there is a map showing exactly where to see them. just thought you might be interested in that doc?:t:

tyson7 Wednesday 29th February 2012 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawts (Post 2376867)
I only ask as I saw a similar sized raptor at c.12.00 o'clock yesterday in Wetherby - circling high. It completely threw me - no bins with me, but it was too big for Sprawk, too small for Buzzard or Red Kite, which are the three regulars.

It was behaving like an accipiter - possible Gos, or more likely large female Sprawk.

I was thinking Goshawk when I saw it. I'm sure that I saw a Goshawk in Alwoodley as well in Autum.

schiffornis Thursday 1st March 2012 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger1234 (Post 2377111)
in the march edition of bird watching magazine there is an article and featured on the front page entitled "owls close up", where to WATCH barn owls,short -eared owls and more on a feeding frenzy,plenty of good pictures,and more importantly there is a map showing exactly where to see them. just thought you might be interested in that doc?:t:

Presumably that is a wintering site??? otherwise seems rather irresponsible!!! (unless on a heavily wardened nature reserve I guess?)

Trystan Thursday 1st March 2012 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Dickinson (Post 2373453)
Driving home last night I was coming down Selby Road towards York Road and noticed 2 large flocks of birds in the distance flying North. As there were cars behind me at the time I couldn't slow down and get a better look, so I'm wondering if any of the Leeds posters saw these birds, as I'd be interested in what they were. They would have been over the area of Gipton and Seacroft I reckon, all I got from them was that they weren't gulls, wrong flight action and looked to be too small for geese. It's crazy but if I had to pick a species from the flight action and flocking I'd have said lapwing but the size of the flocks would have been about a couple of hundred birds, hardly likely over suburban Leeds.

Back when I was in Uni at leeds I used to go in on the bus down the A62. I used to see lapwings often actually perched on warehouse rooves coming in towards the Wheatsheaf pub.

Always found that bizarre but lapwings seems highly possible to me.

Alan Tilmouth Thursday 1st March 2012 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by schiffornis (Post 2377447)
Presumably that is a wintering site??? otherwise seems rather irresponsible!!! (unless on a heavily wardened nature reserve I guess?)

It is indeed on an RSPB Reserve at Parkgate Marsh

schiffornis Thursday 1st March 2012 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare Visitor (Post 2377566)
It is indeed on an RSPB Reserve at Parkgate Marsh

An excellent location for viewing these birds.