BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Yorkshire (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Yorkshire Birding (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=61534)

BirdFlower Wednesday 23rd May 2012 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by HnehpetS (Post 2446192)
Anybody know if there are likely to be Nightjars at Skipworth? I went several years ago to see/hear them and thought it was about time to make another trip.
Cheers

If you mean Skipwith near York, the last I heard was that they had died out there, but there may be 1 pair if you are lucky

Chris-Leeds Wednesday 23rd May 2012 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by metcow333 (Post 2445922)
I don't think we have, at least I havent, and not heard otherwise from others. Just facebook is a bit quicker, especially if you're on it anyway. Apart from that, the temminck's werent $ound by Tim, me or any students or ex-students, but by some local birders, so credit where its due and not too much else to say.:smoke:

Hadn't seen any posts since your disagreement with a certain poster and I thought you'd given up as some others have.

Keith Dickinson Wednesday 23rd May 2012 08:31

Quote:

Anybody know if there are likely to be Nightjars at Skipworth? I went several years ago to see/hear them and thought it was about time to make another trip.
Cheers

Wykeham would be your best bet for 'jars.

andy hood Wednesday 23rd May 2012 08:39

Quote:

Cheers

Had a churring Nightjar in the clearing across from the Wykeham raptor watchpoint car park last year, didnt see it though :(

HnehpetS Wednesday 23rd May 2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdFlower (Post 2446280)
If you mean Skipwith near York, the last I heard was that they had died out there, but there may be 1 pair if you are lucky

Thanks Birdflower, Keith and Andy.
Slightly disappointing. Wykeham is a bit out of my way for the moment, but if I visit Skipworth in the next couple of weeks or so your advice will temper how late I stay - depending on how the weather is, how my companions feel (might hear/see is different to should see/hear), you know how it is I'm sure.;)

Ingsbirder Wednesday 23rd May 2012 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HnehpetS (Post 2446339)
Thanks Birdflower, Keith and Andy.
Slightly disappointing. Wykeham is a bit out of my way for the moment, but if I visit Skipworth in the next couple of weeks or so your advice will temper how late I stay - depending on how the weather is, how my companions feel (might hear/see is different to should see/hear), you know how it is I'm sure.;)

Nightjars haven't been present on Skipwith for many years now - I'd suggest going to some of the more reliable, well publicised, sites even though they're a bit further away.

Ingsbirder Wednesday 23rd May 2012 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by metcow333 (Post 2445922)
Apart from that, the temminck's werent $ound by Tim, me or any students or ex-students, but by some local birders, so credit where its due and not too much else to say.:smoke:

The first Temms was found by a Sir and a Prof, so, for once, the students and ex-students were lagging on this one:eek!:.

Sandra (Taylor) Wednesday 23rd May 2012 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingsbirder (Post 2446341)
Nightjars haven't been present on Skipwith for many years now - I'd suggest going to some of the more reliable, well publicised, sites even though they're a bit further away.

It's many years since we saw nightjars at Skipworth but we could see their days were numbered as the site wasn't been managed to their advantage. It was being allowed to become overgrown with trees and shrubs.

Sandra

Chris-Leeds Wednesday 23rd May 2012 11:16

There are ponies at Skipwith now so maybe they'll improve the habitat as they are free roaming and eating plenty of vegetation.

timmyjones Wednesday 23rd May 2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingsbirder (Post 2446344)
The first Temms was found by a Sir and a Prof, so, for once, the students and ex-students were lagging on this one:eek!:.

Indeed beaten to them this time!

Pictures for anyone that interested on my blog here

http://timsbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/wow.html

Richard G Wednesday 23rd May 2012 18:05

2 Attachment(s)
A couple from Timble Ings last night.

Richard

Neil Birdy Wednesday 23rd May 2012 19:25

Cuckoo today above Bolton Abbey, Osprey getting some grief off the Peregrines at Malham early this morning.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/21441...=group_comment

Chris-Leeds Wednesday 23rd May 2012 19:54

Cycle ride this evening with at least 6 corn buntings Showing well and singing by the roadside.

BirdFlower Wednesday 23rd May 2012 20:36

1 Attachment(s)
Some slightly better record shots of one of the Spurn Golden Oriole's on the blog: www.eybirdwatching.blogspot.com Photo (c) 2012 Tony Robinson

mezza95 Thursday 24th May 2012 00:36

Hi just wanted to ask some of you more experianced birdwatches on a good beginer place in yorkshire to watch the wildlife As ive been to fairburn inns and wanted to get to know more hides to use my new canon 100 to 400mm lens thanks ricky :)

northernloon Thursday 24th May 2012 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezza95 (Post 2446988)
Hi just wanted to ask some of you more experianced birdwatches on a good beginer place in yorkshire to watch the wildlife As ive been to fairburn inns and wanted to get to know more hides to use my new canon 100 to 400mm lens thanks ricky :)

Hi Ricky and welcome. Fairburn Ings is a great place to start. The staff are very helpful and will point you in the right direction. The Kingfisher screen is always worth a look. You never know. The hide nearest to the visitor centre (Pickup?) often provides very close views.

Potteric Carr near Doncaster is nearly always worth a visit.

WACCOE Thursday 24th May 2012 16:34

Saw three Grass Snakes at work today in Wakefield.

Trystan Thursday 24th May 2012 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy hood (Post 2443631)
Showing well at Thornwick fishing pond this evening, 2nd record for Flamborough

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...l001edited.jpg

Just back from Samos. Seems all the birds came here while I was gone!

My only lifer of the trip was citrine wagtail!

Report will follow.

sid ashton Thursday 24th May 2012 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by WACCOE (Post 2447467)
Saw three Grass Snakes at work today in Wakefield.

Quite lucky they have a job ;)

northernloon Thursday 24th May 2012 21:35

Nice one Hissing Sid. It made me chuckle.

clairey Thursday 24th May 2012 21:49

Quote:

We go to Old Moor, between Barnsley and Doncaster quite a lot and also really like Adel Dam too. Another shout for Potteric Carr

harrym Friday 25th May 2012 06:03

Spoonbills

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspur (Post 622812)
Did an hour at Bank Island today for some birdtrack counts. Reasonably quiet but a high count of 106 Lapwing. Also of note was a female Teal which was a surprise due to lack of water. A single Redshank and also my first Bullfinch since the spring. For a couple of years i have been gripped off by my where to watch birds in Yorkshire book. It mentions categorically that Kingfisher are present on the Derwent between Bank Island and Wheldrake Ings so EVERY time i get to a likely spot out the back of the Cheesecake hide i always take a few minutes to watch for one zooming by. I had never seen anything remotely Kingfisher shaped zoom by and after 2 years i had pretty much given up. Today was watching a tit flock on the far bank and through my bins a blue whoosh. Not a great view but an overwhelming sense of relief. I did have the right spot afterall! :D So patch tick, not county though because i had a pair at tophill low 2 weeks ago. Happy man. Might go to Blacktoft tomorrow for the Spoonbills seeing as i dipped one at Filey a month ago when i decided to drive past the dams to the brigg.

Are there Spoonbills at Blacktoft? Am intending going on Sunday.

BirdFlower Friday 25th May 2012 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrym (Post 2447892)
Are there Spoonbills at Blacktoft? Am intending going on Sunday.

Nothing on the latest Blacktoft Blogpost: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/pla...ing-birds.aspx

They usually turn up at Blacktoft mainly in July & August, as per my Yorkshire Wildlife Calendar

BirdFlower Friday 25th May 2012 06:43

Quote:

Of course, you could also join either my Tuesday or Friday afternoon sessions & try out your lens over a wide variety of local East Yorkshire hotspots throughout the year ;)

pyenester Friday 25th May 2012 06:49

Quote:

Take a look at Rodley Nature Reserve
Regards
John