BirdForum

BirdForum (http://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Insects, Dragonflies, Arachnids, Beetles & More (http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   Insects from Bahrain (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=80384)

AJDH Saturday 10th March 2007 18:15

Insects from Bahrain
 
I went out on Friday morning to do some bird photography. Unfortunately there were few birds around at the first location so I photographed a few insects. If anyone can identify the linked pictures I'd appreciate it.

1. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._2760_800w.jpg

2. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._2781_800w.jpg

3. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._5273_800w.jpg

aeshna5 Sunday 11th March 2007 07:19

1 Violet Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa sp.
2 Marmalade Fly , Episyrphus balteatus
3 Slender Skimmer, Orthetrum sabina

AJDH Sunday 11th March 2007 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeshna5
1 Violet Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa sp.
2 Marmalade Fly , Episyrphus balteatus
3 Slender Skimmer, Orthetrum sabina

Thank you very much for that, it's greatly appreciated.

paul mabbott Sunday 11th March 2007 17:27

2 certainly looks like E. balteatus but I was surprised to hear of it from Bahrain (not from any knowledge but because middle-eastern insects don't normally extend their range into NW Europe and vice versa). Can't find any detailed info on this.
http://www-biol.paisley.ac.uk/bioref...balteatus.html says Europe & Asia (it spreads eastwards to the Pacific, for sure) while http://www.syrphidae.com/specie.php?...ntinent=Europe suggests it doesn't go SE in Europe (I've never seen it in Greece for instance) and therefore probably wouldn't spread over Arabia?
Might it be a similar species? Anyone got a tame syrphid expert?
Cheers, Paul
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeshna5
1 Violet Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa sp.
2 Marmalade Fly , Episyrphus balteatus
3 Slender Skimmer, Orthetrum sabina


paul mabbott Sunday 11th March 2007 17:29

Don't be so apologetic about photographing insects - some of us here only photograph birds when there are no insects around!
Nice pics.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJDH
I went out on Friday morning to do some bird photography. Unfortunately there were few birds around at the first location so I photographed a few insects. If anyone can identify the linked pictures I'd appreciate it.

1. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._2760_800w.jpg

2. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._2781_800w.jpg

3. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20..._5273_800w.jpg


AJDH Sunday 11th March 2007 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul mabbott
Don't be so apologetic about photographing insects - some of us here only photograph birds when there are no insects around!
Nice pics.

I'm now glad I photographed them. ;)

BTW was that a pun about the marmalade fly not spreading to Arabia? :-O

paul mabbott Sunday 11th March 2007 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJDH
BTW was that a pun about the marmalade fly not spreading to Arabia? :-O

Groan ......

Dranzer Monday 19th March 2007 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJDH
I'm now glad I photographed them. ;)

BTW was that a pun about the marmalade fly not spreading to Arabia? :-O

It's actually Saudi Arabia, not Arabia. Not to offend you or anything by the way


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:58.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2014