View Single Post
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 13:56   #13036
Docmartin
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoin View Post
Another Ivory-billed Woodpecker sighting has been reported from the "Choc" (see Hill's update for 6 March 2008). One observer saw it at very close range and had an excellent digital SLR with 300mm telephoto lens at the ready, but just did not quite get the shot. As Snoopy would say, Curses, foiled again! This is another in a long line of missed opportunities to photograph the late 20th and early 21st century Ivory-billed Woodpecker--the phenomenon I call "auto-focus ate my Ivory-bill photo"--see an accounting of all these missed opportunities here.
Visitors to the Auburn site should follow the link to http://www.angelfire.com/id/wildscen...oodpecker.html

where there is a sketch *drawn from memory 2 days after the sighting* (does anyone EVER learn?) which shows an underwing pattern entirely wrong for IBWO - in a 3-4 second view I cannot see how anyone would not notice any white in the primaries, and/or, as a wildlife artist, not notice there is something wrong here. Also see the quote:

"Watch for my painting of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. I've been told that I am the first wildlife artist to see a live Ivory Bill since Don Eckleberry in the 1930's!" - i wonder if the plimage features will have been corrected by then??