• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

Crappy record shot of the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Patrington Haven this evening
sunday22Aug005.jpg

Crappy record shot of the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Patrington Haven this evening
sunday22Aug005.jpg

Andy is it tidal? Just wondered if is likely to be present during the day or whether it would be tomorrow evening, or is it more whether the Humber is low or high? Did a change in the river make it fly? Thanks.

Andy is it tidal? Just wondered if is likely to be present during the day or whether it would be tomorrow evening, or is it more whether the Humber is low or high? Did a change in the river make it fly? Thanks.

i would think if it still present in the same place tomorrow , i would say a high tide would probably be best time too see it, im not sure what made it fly, but there was a Peregrine in the area , which may have spooked it and the other waders ?? it seemed to fly towards the humber with a small flock of waders, while the rest of the flock returned to the pool , every one there had a good scan of the remaining waders on the pool, but it didnt appear to be with them?

Been scanning the weather websites and there's an interesting easterly blast increasingly predicted for thurs/fri. Not sure its long enough or starts far enough east but could give some good sea watching, if it goes on long enough saturdays pelagic could be worth a punt (see what I did there). They're not quite agreeing yet.

Attachments

• magsea.JPG
    magsea.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 81
  • xc.JPG
    xc.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I saw this - I have had to cancel my trip to the Moray irth because the favourable winds are too strong. Don't know if the Yorkshire Belle will get out. If you check XC weather for sat you want winds of less than 10-11mph otherwise it will be chunderful. A stint on the headland may prove more profitable.

Managed not 1 but three Turtle Doves on the wires at Hutton Cranswick this evening. Even managed a recognisable photo of one which is on the blog. Crossing to the darkside for a waterbird survey tomorrow. Fingers crossed for my own mega wader although a twitch or two is more likely. Went for the Sharp-tailed only to get negative news when I got to Keyingham and decided to turn round and go to work. How green was I when it turned up at Spurn?

I planned to go for the sharpy today but as the last news last night was negative, there has been no reports on Birdguides today and it is absolutely bouncing it down, I have decided to do some work instead.

On a different theme, I had my first trip down to the Rutland Birdfair on Friday. Saw Bill Oddie, Simon King, David Lindo and Johnny Kingdom! Couldn't believe the scale of it, massive. Watching a reed warbler and juv goldfinch be ringed and released was probably the highlight.

No idea, think there's a bloke who's been going down there for ages. Went a couple of months back and there was security near the layby, about 50yds before the gate, they said no access beyond full stop.

I thought that was the case. I've tried to find out before how to get in and I seem to remember being told it was just one guy with a key who watches the site. Just out of interest, where are the sewage works and where would you park?

Doesn't seem like a bad spot. I can recall water pipit and little stint being reported there as well as jack snipe and passage waders such as green sand. Shame access is restricted.

Sewage works; Go up Wakefield Cutting and take first right into Earlsheaton then take the right turn just in front of the Spangled Bull and follow Headland lane down to the bottom.

Hudds birders have recently set up a reserve behind Healey Mills which is a little further down river.

Cheers Jim, didn't know it was up that way. Would be interesting to find out what the access would be like if something serious dropped in. I'll keep listening out for anything turning up at Healey Mills.

Sewage works; Go up Wakefield Cutting and take first right into Earlsheaton then take the right turn just in front of the Spangled Bull and follow Headland lane down to the bottom.

Hudds birders have recently set up a reserve behind Healey Mills which is a little further down river.

It's not HBC that have set up the reserve at Healey but Kirklees/YWT. We don't have any reserves.

If you go down to Healey and park there then walk along the river towards Dewsbury you can access the SW that way. They do permit access but require you to wear a reflective vest. It's not as good as it once was (they seem to be more concerned with treating sewage than bird watching for some reason) but plenty of good birds can be found there. A single observer Golden Oriole this summer was a highlight, seen by John Hamilton (the "bloke who is there every day"). Plenty of Green Sands have been around and Yellow Wag is regular this time of year.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone in Bardsey "West Yorkshire" has a vivid imagination - 18 Balaeric Shearwater past today; also 7 Sooty Shearwater, 6 Arctic Skua, 4 Great Skuas, a Little Tern, 6 Arctic Terns and 30 Whimbrel acording to Birdguides!

You had a good day birding Lawts? Birguides reporting the following from Bardsey;

21:23 24/08/10 Balearic Shearwater W Yorks Bardsey
18 past today; also 7 Sooty Shearwater, 6 Arctic Skua, 4 Great Skuas, a Little Tern, 6 Arctic Terns and 30 Whimbrel

Think they missed the Island bit off?

Those of you who have their lists on the Yorkshire birding listers league please remember to send in updates so the list can be kept current. We know lots of people have seen the Sharpie but only 3 people have sent us updates. You don't have to send the whole list again just an e-mither with your latest additions.

Cheers

black tern showed well on top res at Wintersett this evening. Also there were 6 common tern, 3 little grebe and a common sandpiper on the jetty off the boat house. Reed warbler and reed bunting both in reeds near bridge and mistle thrush and sparrowhawk overhead. Didn't see the red cr pochard but then again, I didn't make much of an effort to either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back