View Single Post
Old Thursday 12th January 2012, 01:19   #24
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Thanks for the patience, I should now be ready for the next installment

August 18: This morning found us driving from Inyanga lodge to Phalaborwa airport. Before leaving Grietjie we had the usual Warthogs and some common birds, but also one I regretted not getting a better look at: my best guess was Dark Chanting Goshawk. Along the main road were many Marabou Storks. Inside the Airport itself, we took place at a table and could enjoy views of Familiar Chat in addition to House Sparrow and Indian Mynah.

From there, we flew to Johannesburg and changed planes to go to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. After clearing immigration and getting our suitcases, we met the shuttle and were taken to Kingdom Hotel, seeing along the road just Vervet monkey and Marabou Stork.

Kingdom hotel is a circle of buildings around a pool area and some other (probably designed) wet areas with some trees and reeds in it. After getting installed in our room, I could not wait but had to get out and look for birds both inside the circle and outside the hotel, where we walked the road down in front of Victoria Falls Hotel next door. A few interesting birds were seen (incomplete list): Scarlet-chested Sunbird, Yellow-bellied Greenbul, Terrestrial Brownbul and Southern Masked Weaver were firsts, even though the id was only confirmed after coming home for a couple of these. Red-winged Starling looked out of place coming from Kruger, White-browed Robin-Chat looked just right, and there were a couple of Yellow-billed (black) Kites flying around. More surprising was the Warthogs that were scurrying around seemingly unconcerned with us and other people walking around close to them.

A few pictures:
White-browed Robin-Chat
Yellow-bellied Greenbul
Hotel garden Warthog

And attached below: several pictures mostly from inside the Kingdom Hotel (copyright Lene Larsen)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7821_resize.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	364502  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7822_resize.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	364503  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7823_resize.JPG
Views:	35