View Single Post
Old Sunday 24th October 2004, 16:46   #13
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurgrosset
Thanks for all that input which was leading me to a tentative conclusion until I started to check Ridgely's "Birds of Ecuador" Volume 1 (on taxonomy, etc.)

Here he mentions 2 races for Ruddy Pigeon: ogilviegranti and berlepschi.

For Plumbeous Pigeon he mentions 3 races in Ecuador: chapmani, pallescens and bogotensis. But bogotensis is a sub-species of Ruddy not of Plumbeous according to my references.

Checking all this with John Penhallurick's Bird Data Project at http://worldbirdinfo.net/ I find no mention of bogotensis under Plumbeous and furthermore the fact that ogilviegranti is a synonym for bogotensis.

I also wonder if the pallescens sub-species occurs in Ecuador since all other references seem to restrict this race to "southern tributaries of the Amazon from river Purus (which is at least 1000km east of Ecuador) to Para"

Which leads me to wonder how reliable Ridgely's "Birds of Ecuador" is with regard to these 2 species.

Googling "Columba plumbea bogotensis", the only hit is a Field Guides Trip List for Ecuador in 2003, presumably using Ridgely as its source.

I am confused.
I believe Ridgely's argument is that he (or a source he used) checked the type specimen of bogotensis and discovered it had been mis-ID'ed and actually was a Plumbeous (similar cases are discovered on an almost monthly basis). Thereby the name second in line would be the correct one for this taxon of Ruddy and that is ogilviegranti. Actually, the type-specimen of bogotensis was originally (more than 100 years ago) described as a new race of Plumbeous, only to be re-examined and then placed under Ruddy. The final word has not been said in this matter, I am sure. In any case, if this assumption is true, this is a nothing but a taxonomic discussion, involving the ID of the type-specimen. Thereby it has no importance for ID of the birds we see today - same bird, different names!

Last edited by Rasmus Boegh : Saturday 30th October 2004 at 05:47.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation