• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

I don't get this ugly stuff. This must just be a matter of tradition or something. They look cool to me. The only bins that look ugly to me are the old Porros. I keep envisioning some Nazi General holding one and can't get that image out of my head.

I used to think that old porro's were real ugly so never considered them always bought and used roofs. But I was wrong and as the years have rolled by I've now started to appreciate them and now I've even bought my first set, some Ross Stepruva 9x35 and they are beautiful and have so much character.

Sightron SII BS 8X32 lacking focus rotation?

I just received a Sightron SII Blue Sky 8X32 model, the primary subject of this thread. The first thing I did was to set up the focus/diopter adjustment focusing on an object out at infinity. I most always use binoculars without glasses, so the new Sightrons were focused with my glasses off.

Once finished, I was for all practical purposes right at the focus wheel travel stop when going in the direction toward infinity. The focus wheel had only about 3 degrees of rotational travel remaining. (I had no issues with the diopter ring setting.)

I then compared this with several other roof prism binoculars that I have:
- Theron Wapiti LT 8X32: about 25 degrees of rotation remaining
- Alpen Apex 12X50: about 30 degrees of rotation remaining
- Bushell Elite 10X43: about 90 degrees of rotation remaining
- Zen-Ray ED2 7X36: 150 degrees of rotation remaining

I am definitely going to return this pair of Sightrons. There is just not enough focus over travel remaining should my eyes change in the "wrong" direction over time. However, I am trying to decide if the lack of focus over travel of the Sightron I received is typical of this model or if I received an exception. If typical, I do not want to exchange them for another pair.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this issue. For others who have the Sightron SII 8X32, how does the amount of over travel compare relative to other roof prism binoculars you own?

Other than this one, but important issue, my first impressions of this binocular were very positive.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
They are out in the car at the moment but I will go check.

One thought though, aren't the specific condition of your eyes going to be a factor in this? Since you need corrective vision and I do not then what I find as "overtravel" may not necessarily be beneficial to you. Maybe someone with a similar prescription to yourself that owns the Sightrons would be more helpful.

Frank .... Thanks for the followup.

I agree with what you say. The "absolute" amount of "overtravel" (for lack of a better term on my part) for me will be different than than what you find because I do normally wear glasses for distance correction. That is why I would like to know "relative" to your other roof prisms, is the overtravel of the Sightron less than other makes.

I am thinking the design specs of the Sightron allow for less travel compared to other models. If other Sightron owners notice that the travel is less between the point of infinity and the stop compared to their other binoculars, then it will indicate to me that it is the nature of the beast and I will not gain anything by exchanging this particular unit for another Sightron SII Blue Sky.

Between me and my brother, we have about 15 different roof prism binoculars and I have never come across this issue before where I am right against the stop when focused at infinity. Some have more remaining travel than others, but none have been right up against the limit.

As far as I know the focus overtravel can be adjusted. I talked to Sightron a while back and asked them about focus adjustments regarding cold weather stiffness, and happened to ask them about focus overtravel as well. The reply was basically yes, that was a simple enough warranty covered issue. So if you like the optics of the one you have, I'd send it to Sightron and specifically ask them to give you some focus past infinity. That may come at the expense of loosing a couple of feet in close focus ability. If I liked the optics well enough, I'd send it in rather than chance getting a subpar sample on the exchange.

Vortex did that for me once on a Viper 10x42 that ran out of focus right at raching infinity.

FWIW, I had Frank's binocular for a month or so. but I don't remember how the focus overtravel was. That makes me think there was a little, and I was satisfied with it. I usually check focusing wheel movement at varying distances, and usually note if I run out of focus at infinity. No notes on that here though. Oops.

Last edited:
RE: Sightron SII BS 8X32 lacking focus rotation?

As far as I know the focus overtravel can be adjusted. I talked to Sightron a while back and asked them about focus adjustments regarding cold weather stiffness, and happened to ask them about focus overtravel as well. The reply was basically yes, that was a simple enough warranty covered issue. ...............

Steve ..... That is great information. I was wondering if that was possible but didn't think I would be that lucky!

I called Sightron but all of their techs left for the IWA Outdoor Show in Nuremberg, Germany. They will not be back till next Wednesday. The lady handling the phone said they will be responding to e-mails, so I will give that a try and see what they want to do. I really like the view and the focus mechanism is smooth on the unit I received (but it is warm here).

IWA Show Link:

http://www.iwa.info/en/

Bruce
I went out and focused both the 8x32 Sightrons & Theron LT's at some clouds without glasses, and still had about 65° overtravel left on the Therons and about 45° overtravel left on the Sightrons. My eyeglass prescription is about +1/2 diopter left eye and +1-1/2 right eye.

Tom

I just checked my Theron Wapiti LT. There is about 160* of travel past infinity. There is 90* from close to infinity. I did not remember that quickness of focus or that amount of overtravel past infinity.

I don't wear glasses with binoculars and my 64 year old eyes typically find a diopter spot about -1 or thereabouts, sometimes less, never on the plus side of zero.

lilcrazy2/Tom .... Even though our actual numbers are different due to eyesight differences, we are consistent in that the Sightron appears to have about 20 to 25 degrees less travel past infinity than the Theron. That helps confirm my assumption that the Sightron SII BS 8X32 is somewhat lacking (compared to other manufacturers) in focus adjustment for non eyeglass viewing with less than perfect eyes.

You and I have just the opposite situation. My left eye is worse than my right eye. If I read the prescription properly, it is a -2.25 diopter for me. Since base focus on the Sightron is established with the left eye, I guess that explains why you have so much more travel past infinity where I am just about touching the stop. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve C .... My travel between infinity and close with the Theron Wapiti LT 8X32 is almost 370 degrees. I never thought about this before, but due to differences in eyesight, what is a fast focusing binocular to one may be a slow focusing binocular to someone else when viewing without their glasses.

So, if someone considering the Sightron has poor vision in their left eye (in my case -2.25(?)) and wants to view without glasses, they may run out of travel trying to focus at infinity without some kind of adjustment by Sightron.

A couple of side notes: 1) I was thinking that less travel of the Sightron would result in a closer focus distance than the Theron, but in a very quick test, it appears the Theron focuses about 5 inches closer. 2) No response yet from Sightron to my e-mail yesterday about adjusting the travel past infinity.

The one area that I don't the Sightron 8x42s compete with the ED3s is in apparent brightness. Assuming silver vs dielectric here. In terms of apparent brightness I would rate them at the level of something like the Nikon Monarch (original, not updated) .

Am considering buying a 8x42 model, but the "apparent brightness" comment has me worried a bit.
Do I understand correctly? Would you consider the Monarch better in low light?

My comparative comment was directed at implying the Sightron appeared to display Nikon Monarch (Generation 2) level of brightness. I have not handled the current Monarch ATB with the dielectric coatings. I am not sure if there is much of a difference in terms of apparent brightness between the Gen 2 Monarch and the Monarch ATB Dielectric. Since my experience with the Monarch line is basically only with the Generation II model I thought the comparison to it was the most appropriate.

In truth I find that apparent brightness, apparent contrast and overall color representation are often difficult to distinguish and are therefore very interconnected. I prefer the color bias and contrast of the 8x32 Sightron to that of the 8x42 configuration. I don't know if I would necessarily call it brighter but the contrast and color representation make it more useful for me to pull out fine details.

Hope that answers your question.

Ok. I'm more concerned with low light performance, dusk and dawn situations. I guess it's overall % of light transmission I'm after. Allbinos.com shows 90% light transmission for the Vixon 8x32, so if the Sightron bins have similar glass.

I received an e-mail back from Sightron in response to my inquiry about adding to the focus travel past the point of infinity. Looks like no such luck. Here is the key sentence in their response:

"At this time we cannot change focusing range in the SII BL binoculars. Sorry for the Inconvenience."

So, keep that in mind if you want to use the binocular without eyeglasses and your left eye requires correction. You may not have enough focus adjustment, depending on the amount and direction (-) of your correction. The Sightron appears to have less over travel than other common models.

Last edited:
Ok. I'm more concerned with low light performance, dusk and dawn situations. I guess it's overall % of light transmission I'm after. Allbinos.com shows 90% light transmission for the Vixon 8x32, so if the Sightron bins have similar glass.

I compared the Sightron 8x42's and the Zen Ray 7x43's tonight in a wooded area until 35 mins after sunset and they both preformed very well. The Zen's had a very slight edge, but the Sightrons worked very well in my opinion. I really enjoyed using the Sightrons.

One thing I do notice with more use is that the Sightron 8x42's do not handle glare as well as the 8x32's. They have a tendency to get the cresent veiling glare at the bottom easier than any bin I have. Sometimes to the point where it bothers me. Even tonight at dusk in the woods I was bothered by it. The focuser is also causing a slight annoyance. As mentioned earlier, the wheel does not have deep ridges and is made of a slick rubber, along with the stiffer focusing, my finger keeps slipping, especially when trying to focus from near to far fast. Roughing it up with sandpaper would probably help.

It's a shame, because these are really nice binoculars. I just love the view and they handle wonderfully.

John

But if I wear my glasses 100% of the time there would be no issue . . . ?

If you are wearing your glasses when viewing with the binocular, then there is still plenty of travel past the point when focused at inifinity. This is also true if you do not need corrective lens (glasses) for distance viewing. There may also be no issue when viewing without your glasses, depending on the amount and type of correction of your prescription.

Here is my understanding. If you do not have perfect vision and have a negative dioptor prescription for distance, then when viewing without glasses, it is nessary to adjust the focus further in the direction toward infinity before something at infinity will be in focus. In my case with a -2.25 for the left eye, I am against the travel stop. If my prescription were say -4.25, then I would not be able to focus on objects at infinity unless I were to view them while wearing glasses.

I prefer to use binoculars without wearing my glasses for various reasons. Due to the more limited focus travel of the Sightron, this puts me right up against the travel limit of the focus knob rotation. It is not a problem if I use the binocular while wearing my glasses. This has never been an issue for me in the past because all the other binoculars that I own are designed with more focus travel than the Sightron.

I was just informed from Sightron that a shipment of 8x42 BlueSky's are on their way to OpticsPlanet -- for what ever that's worth.

I am in no way connected to either organization - I just want some bins -- that's all I want... some bins. Oh, the humanity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back