• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Dan,
They have a thin, one piece plastic cover that snaps into the objective tubes. There is an attachment point on the cover that you could use for a tether point if you wanted to keep them attached to your harness/strap.

When you say "don't have room for a tether" I'm not following you. Neither the ocular, nor the objective cover is tethered to the binocular as it comes from the factory. The barrels are cylindrical and as long as you could find an aftermarket objective cover that was the right size, they could easily be slipped onto the housing and used that way. ...hope that helps!

Dan,
They have a thin, one piece plastic cover that snaps into the objective tubes. There is an attachment point on the cover that you could use for a tether point if you wanted to keep them attached to your harness/strap.

When you say "don't have room for a tether" I'm not following you. Neither the ocular, nor the objective cover is tethered to the binocular as it comes from the factory. The barrels are cylindrical and as long as you could find an aftermarket objective cover that was the right size, they could easily be slipped onto the housing and used that way. ...hope that helps!

Great....thank you for explaining. The tether I referred to is the circular soft rubber ring that is placed over the end of each barrel. Attached to the ring is a rubber cover that fits over the ocular end. A picture probably explains it better....
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...tics-tethered-binocular-lens-cover-set-medium

PN - the problem is that there is a "bridge" connecting the two barrels at the objective end. Most objective covers "tether" with a rubber loop that slides over the barrel. You can't do that on the front (objective) end of the 32mm Sightrons because of that bridge.

FYI - @ Dan2nd: The Sightron's objective cover stays in place pretty well when you click it into place, but I wouldn't trust it in the field (i.e. it's best for storage between use). Also, the rainguard (ocular cover) is just... horrible. Maybe the worst thought out design I've ever seen in a binocular. It's one of the few flaws of these bins.

Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 vs. Zen Ray ZRS HD 8x42

Hello to all and thanks for all the info in this thread. I spent all morning reading threw the whole thread.

I'm looking for a pair of binos for my girlfriend in the $200 +/- range. Its time to step up from her Nikon Prostaff ATB 8x25's. That quest lead me to this thread. The idea is a 8x32 or 8x42 compact with long ER and as wide a field of view as possible. She is not that great at picking up birds or following them so the wider FOV the better.

After reading this whole thread i don't remember seeing any comparison between the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's and the Zen Ray ZRS HD 8x42's. I realize its 32 vs 42 but there similar sized, have similar FOV and ER , price.. etc. Any thoughts?

I have a question about ER.. I view with glasses and need lots of ER (think neanderthal with specks) I can just see the full view in Talon HD8x42's for reference (more like 98% really). I'm wondering if someone has both and can tell me what they see in the Blue Skys.. I know what she sees in her binos (she uses glasses as well) so i can make an educated guess if they will work for her. I'm also curious for myself as i might get a pair for the car.

Thanks for the help..

Bill...Seattle.

After reading this whole thread i don't remember seeing any comparison between the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's and the Zen Ray ZRS HD 8x42's. I realize its 32 vs 42 but there similar sized, have similar FOV and ER , price.. etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help..

Bill...Seattle.

The ZRS HD is about the same length as the Sightron, but it is a noticeable amount heavier, also somewhat bulkier as the barrels are larger diameter, but at something like 24 oz, it can't really be called heavy. As far as I am concerned, the ZRS has slightly better optics. So I suppose it gets down to what size a gal your GF is and how large or small her hands are. The ZRS has an additional potential advantage in that it will close to a narrow IPD of 54 mm, making it perhaps more adaptable to people who have closer set eyes. Either binocular will be quite satisfactory for the view you will see. Before I forget, some complaints have surfaced about focus tension being too stiff for some with the Sightron. I've handled mutiple pairs of ZRS HD (vs only one Sightron) and always thought the focus was pretty smooth.

I suppose that if push came to shove and if a Sightron, the Theron I chose over the Sightron, and the ZRS HD were placed in front of me and I found out I could choose only one of the three...I'd go ZRS HD (particularly if I were looking for a more all around use binocular).

BTW welcome to BF. But beware...this place can get expensive ;-).

Last edited:
In general I tend to agree with Steve especially considering the model/configuration she used previously. The 8x42 ZRS HD would offer a notable optical difference in several key areas in comparison to the ProStaff 8x25. For one the field of view will be notably wider...about 60 feet IIRC. Second, most 8x42s tend to have better eye relief than any given 8x32 so if you are looking to maximize in that key area then an 8x42 is the safer bet.

In terms of pure image quality I would call it a bit of a toss-up. There is a higher comfort level associated with the larger exit pupil of an 8x42 model...plus the longer eye relief. The ZRS HD also has very good contrast and a flat field of view. The Sightron isn't lacking in either of those areas but I think the larger objective of the ZRS HD does give it a bit of an optical boost over the 8x32 Sightron.

The other side of the coin though is that there is a notable weight and handling difference between the two models. The Sightron is about 7 ounces lighter than the ZRS HD plus it has the open bridge design which makes it very ergonomic. These are important characteristics to consider for anyone but I would think that it may be more so for a member of the opposite s...

Just some things to think about.

Indeed it can be an expensive endeavor. I'm trying to mitigate that.

I spent a good deal of time researching spotting scopes and in the end got a Pentax PF 65 ED-A II with wx 10 and wx14 eyepieces. I am more than satisfied with the view and WOWed with the view in those eyepieces. Its so wide (70 degrees) and sharp to the edge with superb contrast.

This started me on a quest to upgrade my binos... I do love my Nikon 10x25 LX's but they are just not adequate for birding. I sold my Leica 8x32 BA's 6 years ago and switched to the LX's as i was traveling a lot and wanted something small to take with me. They worked well but I'm not traveling much and birding a lot more. My girlfriend is as well. Those Leicas never had enough ER anyway..:C

Getting the Pentax spotter and wx eyepieces started me on the 'bang for the buck' quest. That combo gives up nothing to the alphas at a the third the price (as long as you don't mind fixed eyepieces)... Now I'm looking for that equivalent in binos.

Having only just found out about the likes of Zen Ray, Vortex and other Chinese brand i have some hope i can find what I'm looking for at a reasonable price .... or maybe three!

For what ever reason I've always used 10x binos (except for the Leicas) and have been fine doing so. I have a photo of me with my first tasco 10x50 porros when i was a 12 yo birding nerd. I was so proud of those monsters.

Now with having a spotting scope for reaching out there and falling in love with the huge FOV in the scope, i want a big FOV in my binos. I'm tired of a 282' FOV at 1000yards. I want 400'+.

I was at a shop the other day and looked threw a Vortex Talon HD 8x42 and a Vortex Viper HD 8x42... loved the FOV in the Talons and could just see the whole FOV with the 18mm ER. It was super sharp in the center with a realizable sweet spot. The Viper's were a very relaxed view for me and sharper on the edges but i wish it had a wider view and the 20mm ER was perfect. I really liked these. I want BOTH in one..... *sigh* .... Im hoping the Talon HD 8x32's will come out soon and fit the bill....

I even looked threw the Diamondback 8x42 and was impressed over all. Inexpensive binos have come a long way sense the last time i really looked 20 years ago.

But i digress....

So for my gal.. it the Diamondback 8x42, Zen ZRS HD 8x 42, or Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32... now i have to make a decision.

But i digress....

Thanks for the comparisons and suggestions it helps a lot.

Bill...

...then there always is the Zen Ray 7x36 ED2. Super wide field of view. Good eye relief and I think they had some "demos" for around $300.

;)

I would venture to say that they fit into the "bang for your buck" category that you are looking for.

But i digress....

So for my gal.. it the Diamondback 8x42, Zen ZRS HD 8x 42, or Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32... now i have to make a decision.

But i digress....

Thanks for the comparisons and suggestions it helps a lot.

Bill...

Digression is a common occurrence around here ;).

The Diamondback is very comparable (maybe even identical) to the Zen Ray Vista, but the Vista is quite a bit less $$.

Having had everything on your list I rate them as follows:

ZRS HD
Sightron Blue Sky
Diamondback

The Zen ED 2 7x36 is the same basic optical design as the Talon. It is also superior optically to the others on your list.

Just picked up a demo pair of Zen ED2 7x36's for my gal for $275. Its a bit more than i wanted to spend but i think she will be happier with them.

Sense i have been such a good boyfriend i think i need to treat myself!

Hmmmm....... now what shall i get? Maybe the Vortex Viper HD 8x42's but i wish the FOV was wider. Maybe i should wait for the ZEN Prime HD to come out (some time this year!?). The specks sound good but I'm skeptical of buying before reviewed but they extended the 'special offer' until the end of June.

Anyhow.... must stop thinking with the keyboard.

Thanks all again for the help.

Bill...

My ZR ED3 8x43 are in for service right now but I am seriously considering selling them, as for a combined total of well under $300 the Fury and Sightron could cover everything I need and are much more compact to boot.

one more resurrection of this thread o:)

in reference to the above, I can update and note that my suspicion was correct and I ended up selling my 8x43 ED3's. This is not to say the Sightrons are quite as good optically as the ED3's -- they aren't -- but the differences were so minuscule that the other factors (namely size/weight and cost) in favor of the Sightron ended up winning out. If I had unlimited cash I would happily have kept both but for my current lifestyle, I've come to really love the practical utility of the 32mm format.

bullet point summary of the Sightron 8x32 vs. ED3 8x43:

Zen-Ray pros:
- Brighter, cleaner, wider view. The brightness advantage is slight in daylight but it's still there, and in dusk and other low light conditions it's more obvious. Just as you would expect given the differences in price, objective size (42mm vs 32mm), and coatings.
- The ED3's just have this view that I can only term "dazzling" or "brilliant", the combination of the coatings, light transmission, and color bias just make them sparkle. The Sightrons have an exceptionally "clean" view but it doesn't have that dazzling feel of the Zens. But this is something (stop me if you've heard this before) that is really only visible in direct A/B comparisons.
- ED3's have better build and overall quality, from the superior eyecups to the rainguard, ocular covers, focus knob, etc.
- ED3's have a much "easier" view, the combination of larger exit pupil, much larger oculars, and wider FOV (plus the aforementioned brightness advantage) gives them this "walk in" quality to the view. The Sightrons are a bit more finicky for me with eye placement and have a more "tunnel like" feel. I know the specs say there isn't much difference in FOV "on paper" but in my actual experience the difference FELT pretty substantial subjectively. The Sightrons also lose out to the Vortex Fury 6.5x32 in this regard, as they have just about the "easiest" view I've ever experienced.
- Slightly better control of CA, especially outside of the center. The Sightrons have no CA in the middle but it appears pretty quickly off axis, although it is slight even at its worst. The Zens are just better in this regard, CA is nonexistant in the middle 30-40% and very slight outside.

Sightron pros:
- SO MUCH more compact. I took my Sightrons with me on a vacation last week to North Carolina, using them in a variety of conditions from the Great Dismal Swap to a pelagic trip out of Hatteras in the teeth of Tropical Storm Beryl (where everything I had got soaked to the bone). I never felt like I was missing a thing having only the Sightrons along for the ride. Considering I also have an 11-month-old and am often toting her and the associated baggage around with me frequently, there was something just so nice about having these tiny, featherweight bins with me. The weight difference is just massive, and for me that 20-oz-or-less 8x32mm format is just the sweet spot in every-day practicality.
- "Flatter" field... the excessive pincushion of the ED2/3 has long been one of my biggest gripes, and the Sightrons have much reduced pincushion relative to both the ED3 and the Vortex Fury.
- Better fit to my hands... the Zen's of course are also open bridge but the barrels are so much fatter that I find I can't really slip my fingers in between in actual use. The Sightrons really fit me like a glove, they are so easy to hold (1 handed or 2) with those thin barrels, my fingers just wrap around them and the focus knob is in the perfect spot.
- Price price price!
- Wonderful optics... again, not quite up to the ED3 but it's such a clean, sharp, contrasty view with no real annoying aberrations that get on my nerves. Pincushion and CA are there but only slight and well controlled.

Bottom Line: I am willing to trade off the extra brightness, FOV, and ease of view of the Zen's for the massive reduction in size, weight, and cost. The Sightrons are probably 95% as good as the ED3's optically and I actually prefer the reduced pincushion (although I wish it had a bit wider FOV).

I just love the clean, sharp views and feather light weight and compact package. It's great that there is something so cheap and light that I feel I can tote it around with me anywhere I go and whip it out and have near-alpha optical quality. Yes, I have a few gripes -- I wish the eyecups were softer and more rounded, I wish the FOV was a bit less "tunnel vision" and more easy, and I wish the rainguard was better. But considering the price/size/weight difference I can live with it for now.

So, maybe one day Vortex will actually release the Talon HD 8x32's and I will get the compact size, light weight, open bridge feel of the Sightron with the dazzling wide field, dielectric brightness of the ED3's, but until then I'm a pretty happy camper with the Sightrons and Fury's. B :)

Very nice, Eitan!

Your comparison is very valuable for me, because I'll probably buy an ED3 somewhere in the future, and I have the Fury 6.5x.
Soooo annoying the Sightrons focus backwards :-C
I'm generally not fond of the 8x format and therefore I'll get the 7x43, hoping it will be even better than the Fury - which is a more ambitious task than most people would believe. And there will be days when I wonder why I torment myself with the weight and size of the ED3s, but the view you describe seems very addictive ;)

//L

Last edited:
I thought it might be more appropriate to post some further comments about the 8x42 configuration of the Sightron SII Blue Sky in this threade. Stets was over my home a week or so ago and we compared a variety of models. I will post a pic of most of them below.

He brought along many of his favorites and I had mine out as well. The one model that I ket grabbing was the Sightron 8x42. I had a brief experience with it a few months ago when John first bought it. My initial impressions were that it was very similar overall to the 8x32 version with a slightly different color bias. The 8x32 shows a bit of a reddish color bias. The 8x42 is more of a green/yellow. The interesting part after using the 8x42 extensively for the last week is that both share that same level of excellent contrast that sets the Sightrons apart from many of its competitors.

Apparent brightness is slightly better withe 8x42 under all viewing conditions. Apparent sharpness is at least equal to the 8x32. It may be a bit better. It is difficult to make that determination. Comparing the 8x42 directly to several very good porro prism models reveals an apparent sharpness level that appears to be as good.

The field of view is very flat except for a moderate amount of field curvature in the outer 20-25% of the image. The sweet spot size is close to but not equal to that of the 8x32. Certainly comfortable in my opinion. Only when searching for edge performance do you begin to notice the image out of perfect sharpness in the outer 25% of the field of view.

I have taken it out on several excursions over the last week and they have yet to disappoint me under a variety of conditions. For the $170-something that they sell for would certainly recommend them over a variety of more expensive but competing models.

Attachments

• 7174850315_1d668e884d.jpg
    7174850315_1d668e884d.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
The group we compared. A good mix of roofs and porros..

Attachments

• 7352167642_360a39b2d3.jpg
    7352167642_360a39b2d3.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 289
The center diopter has not moved on me since I purchased a week or so ago and I have been using it daily. It appears identical to the one on the Bausch and Lomb discoverers. No lock but it does require some effort to move.

The center diopter has not moved on me since I purchased a week or so ago and I have been using it daily. It appears identical to the one on the Bausch and Lomb discoverers. No lock but it does require some effort to move.

That's why i asked, i had a Discoverer and a Meade Montana and the diopter looked the same! Never had a problem with the BL but the Montana's it loosened up and any little bump it would move then it loosened internally or something and i kept having to add diopters every time eventually would have run out i would have thought? Gave them to a younger guy and he is still using them??? Bryce...

Glad to see your enjoying them Frank. Interesting way to bird, from a kayak. Imagine you could get to some out of the way places with that.

Also, the rainguard (ocular cover) is just... horrible. Maybe the worst thought out design I've ever seen in a binocular. It's one of the few flaws of these bins.

I agree about the rainguard. When I had my Swarovski 8x32 ELs, I sent them in for a cleaning without the ocular cover and they returned them with a cover. I use the extra Swarovski "ratchet" cover on my Sightrons.

I tried the Zen Ray 7x36 EDII awhile back and returned them. I was never so disappointed in a hyped up pair of bins. My 8x32 Sightrons don't compare with my Zeiss, Leica, or even the Leupold Gold rings but for the price they are a fantastic bin to keep in my truck all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back