• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Travelscope (1 Viewer)

Sorry woodwolf - didn't see your post until just now.

We've had a further delay in the inbound shipment and stock doesn't now arrive with us until this Friday which means we'll miss yet another weekend :-(

Cheers, Pete

Sorry woodwolf - didn't see your post until just now.

We've had a further delay in the inbound shipment and stock doesn't now arrive with us until this Friday which means we'll miss yet another weekend :-(

Cheers, Pete

Thanks, I'm hoping to get my hands on one by the weekend afeter next, fingers crossed

I guess Birdwatch will post it in a month or so - that seems to be the typical delay from print to web for them.

Cheers, Pete

I just received a loaner MM3 courtesy of Opticron USA. It arrived yesterday afternoon. I have not had a chance to tinker with it much but what I did find so far is that it is very well made. Excellent feel to the dual focusing knob and extremely "petite" in size. the body reminded me very much of the Nikon 50 ED in style but with a non-"plastic" feel to it.

I plan on testing it this weekend while hitting several local waterfowl hotpsots.

What's the verdict then FrankD? I'm itching to try one out myself.

Sorry for the delay Moocher. I am still evaluating it. I just go inundated with new optics to try/evaluate. I do like it quite a bit. I will be sure to post more as time allows over the next week.

I have taken my new MM3 out in the field today.

I have 2 eyepieces for my larger Opticron ES 80 GA ED Scope.The one I use least with the big scope is the HDF Zoom 4062 which with the MM3 gives 13-36 Zoom.
The other eyepiece is the 40809 which gives 32x with the 80, 18x with the MM3

Today I took the MM3 out with the zoom eye piece, attached to a Manfrotto monopod. I recommend a cover for the MM3, I opted for the Green one with the neoprene strap.

With heavier zoom eyepiece and green case, the whole thing weighs only 1022grams

Although light was not great this morning, I was extremely impressed with the image and portability. Even when pushed through to maximum zoom, there was no comparison to the image quality of my previous MM2. Bright, crisp and the fine focus wheel really pulls in sharpens up the bird. Used the scope in a variety of situations including picking up distant raptors.
With my WW eyepiece, I think I will get 18x on the MM3. Will try this out next, but so far totally impressed with this little scope.:eek!:

Just out of interest is the eyepiece on a thread or bayonet fitting? I only ask as i have several other scopes, Kowa and Bushnell and wonder whether these would be suitable if i buy a body and case but leave the Opticron lens until a later date?

Maybe somebody from Opticron could answer with regard to compatibility?

Looking forward to some more 'in the field' reviews.....

Laurie:t:

Just out of interest is the eyepiece on a thread or bayonet fitting? I only ask as i have several other scopes, Kowa and Bushnell and wonder whether these would be suitable if i buy a body and case but leave the Opticron lens until a later date?

Maybe somebody from Opticron could answer with regard to compatibility?

Looking forward to some more 'in the field' reviews.....

Hi Laurie,

It's a screw thread fitting. I've know some Kowa eyepieces to be compatible, but it's really a case of trying them out.

Cheers
Rob

I've been mulling this over and thinking that I've got to go and see it ,and then someone comes into hide this morning with one. I'll be ordering very soon as it was very impressive with hdf eyepiece . Much brighter than I expected and very sharp with very nice controls.
My Swaro is just too heavy for me now and this will be great replacement.

Sorry for the delay Moocher. I am still evaluating it. I just go inundated with new optics to try/evaluate. I do like it quite a bit. I will be sure to post more as time allows over the next week.

Hi Frank. No problems. The more you use it the better your feedback will be.

Regards

Moocher

All very positive feedback so far. Very encouraging. I really need to get my hands on one for a while and see first hand how it performs. I hope to make arrangements to do this soon.

Rob - cheers for that.

I think i will probably end up with the HDF zoom and see if my Kowa 27xWA fits as this is a nice lens. If i pop down to Brians @ Worcester i can test his and try mine and see, literally, the difference - if any. If the Opticron seems better with the scope then i will buy them it's not the funds it's just whether i can utilise another lens.

Looking forward to more thoughts from those fortunate enuff to have taken delivery of one.

I had a nice, detailed write-up on my impressions of the MM3 all set up and I was just uploading pictures to the site when I accidentally hit the "x", thinking it was another program, and now all is lost. :(

Still, I will take another stab at rewriting my thoughts and impressions of the scope at this point.

I have had the MM3 for about two weeks now. I have taken it out to several local lakes, quarries and rivers in search of waterfowl at this time of the year. I also spent all afternoon yesterday comparing it directly with an inexpensive 50 mm ED spotter I picked up this past December.

One of the most commonly accepted bits of wisdom shared here in the spotting scope forums is that practically any scope can look good at lower magnifications. It isn't until you move up the magnification scale that you can begin to notice the difference between an average scope and an exceptional one. This was certainly the case here. The other scope performs at an acceptable level at/up to about 30x. Once beyond that obvious optical aberrations start degrading the image. This wasn't the case with the Opticron.

Physical Impressions:

The Opticron MM3 is a physically small scope, even for a 50 mm class model. A comparison pic posted below will bear this out. It is basically the same size as the Nikon ED 50 but with rubber armoring. The review unit was provided with the HDF zoom eyepiece. With this combination the scope is exceptionally light and portable. When I mounted it on my lightweight, travel tripod I was pleasantly surprised by how light and portable the combination is. The title "Travelscope" certainly applies to the MM3.

Quality control on this unit is excellent. The rubber armor is flawless and all mechanical components (dual speed focuser, eyecup extension, zoom speed/tension) function perfectly. The feel of the focusing mechanism, in particular, clearly illustrates the attention to detail placed into this scope.

Another interesting point of discussion worth mentioning is the eye relief. This became particularly evident in comparison to the less expensive ED spotter especially when attempting to Iscope with my Iphone 4. The MM3's level of eye relief was greater at all magnification settings in comparison to the less expensive spotter.

Optical Impressions:

The MM3 is a stunning little performer. The word "transparency" is often used when most folks try to describe optical performance. I have always understood the term to refer to a combination of two factors....light transmission (usually the result of the quality of lenses coupled with the quality of antireflective coatings) and low levels of aberrations and distortions (usually the result of high quality glass and a well designed optical system).

The MM3 displays true transparency of the image. This comes from a variety of optical performance areas. For one the color representation is entirely neutral. This will be born out in the comparative pics I will post below. The less expensive ED scope has a warm bias (red-purple) in comparison to the neutral color of the MM3.

The MM3 displays excellent apparent sharpness at all points throughout its zoom range. I believe part of this is the result of its excellent chromatic aberration control. While the less expensive scope displayed CA in high contrast situations and at maximum magnification CA was practically absent under the same conditions in the MM3.

Contrast and color saturation in the MM3 are also excellent. Only in comparison to a similar quality 82 mm spotting scope did I notice a subtle difference in performance in this area.

Apparent brightness was excellent, again, throughout the entire zoom range.

The sweet spot size at all magnifications was extremely generous. I would rate it at close to 95% of the field of view. Only in the outer extremes of the image could one notice the slightest hint of field curvature and, even then, only to a very small degree.

Lastly, since the image is so well corrected in a variety of areas, my eyes had very little difficulty refocusing on various objects in front of and behind the object in focus. Many may refer to this as depth of field but the effect was the result of the flexibility of my eyes not the actual depth of field of the scope itself. I don't think this would be possible if the scope wasn't well corrected in the areas mentioned previously.

The pictures that follow will illustrate a physical comparison between the two 50 mm spotters. Six Iscoped pics of one of my backyard bird feeders will be included also to demonstrate the difference in color bias and other performance areas throughout the zoom range.

Lastly, I did take some pics with the MM3 of some of the birds that have been frequenting my yard at this time of the year. Conditions weren't conducive to excellent image quality and keep in mind that all images are with my Iphone 4 handheld to the MM3's eyepiece.

Attachments

• 50mm2.jpg
    50mm2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back