• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

That's not fog - killer smog according to the news last night. Take your inhalers if you brave the walk to the beach.

Steve

According to the Daily Mail, it was the over use of foreign deodorant cans, applied by illegals. Also, it's likely to give you cancer and decease the value of your home.

Hope everyone one is well and getting a few birds,

Kieran

Do willow tits appear at Lynford? I have always assumed that the birds there are marsh tits. Thanks

I think there is the odd report from lynford, last year i had them at santon downham, down river from the bridge but only 1-2 birds on a couple of occasions in c15 visits march-early april. They are bloody rare in norfolk away from swaffham town centre!

So much emphasis is placed on using the call to distinguish between these two species but not enough emphasis is placed on the variation in Marsh Tit vocalisation types. Sure the classic 'pi-choo' of Marsh Tit is a world apart from the typical nasal call of Willow Tit, but what some people don't seem to realise is that Marsh Tit will also give a more drawn out, repeated call that has a reasonably nasal quality. It is quite different from Willow Tit, but it's not all that different from how Willow Tit is described (and perhaps remembered, if you've not heard a real one for a while).

I'm afraid I don't find Willow Tit reports credible purely because the observer heard it call. I think nowadays it would be wise for anyone finding Willow Tit away from the Brecks to sound record it, if at all possible - and it should be easy for anyone with a smartphone (thanks to Andy for advice about the PCM recorder app).

Still not seen a hirundine this year. A whole lot better than last year mind.

Well the staff and volunteers at Sculthorpe said they had them and I suggest perhaps they should know.....

Well the staff and volunteers at Sculthorpe said they had them and I suggest perhaps they should know.....

Emphasism on the word 'had'. Went to Sculthorpe a few weeks back and the main warden reckons he hasn't had a confirmed bird himself there since Jan 2012.

Just on a single walk around the mass of Marsh Tit's that are present would make you wonder how likely a Willow Tit would even be able to compete. I was caught out once on my visit but it was definitely a Marsh.

Maybe one day they'll come back strong, but I'm not too hopeful.

Jake

Emphasism on the word 'had'. Went to Sculthorpe a few weeks back and the main warden reckons he hasn't had a confirmed bird himself there since Jan 2012.

Jake

You mean the same guy who will tell you they don't have any Lesser Spots, despite the fact that juvenile birds were seen on feeders last year and they have been heard drumming and SEEN in the last 3 weeks AT Sculthorpe!

Ask the volunteers and you get different information than what the wardens will tell you!

Regarding the Brecks and Brandon, I've not seen or heard any Willow's so far this year in over 12 visits since early March - neither has anyone else I've spoken with there... disappearing rapidly.

That's not fog - killer smog according to the news last night. Take your inhalers if you brave the walk to the beach.

Steve

Don't believe the media hype Steve ;)

Funny how the killer smog was only on the coast being pulled in by the NE wind that has just started blowing and was nowhere to be seen a couple miles inland...

Yet another light news day!!

Worth a look!

I do realise that the Storks at Thrigby are about as wild as the Tigers nearby, but they are certainly worth a look-at if you're in the area...
Decent views of Bittern at Strumpshaw today and a GWE flew down-river at Cantley.

Attachments

• Storks.jpg
    Storks.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Storks 2.jpg
    Storks 2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 83
  • B best 3.jpg
    B best 3.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 84
Anybody know of a singing Pallas's warbler in "west Norfolk"? Per LRGE on twitter so I am told. Still a few Willow tits about in the Brecks, many not submitted at county level, but details are passed to BTO. I've never seen one in Swaffham mind.

Titchwell April 3rd

Today's highlights

Another unpleasant day on the coast but a surprising number of summer migrants reported

Little ringed plover - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Sandwich tern - 2 offshore
Common tern - 3 offshore
Whimbrel - 2 west
House martin - 3 reported over carpark
Willow warbler - 1 singing in carpark
Bittern - 1 showing well form Fen Hide this afternoon
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Little gull - 1st yr on fresh marsh
Nuthatch - 1 near visitor centre was on the 6th reserve record

Paul

Perhaps they should*, and they should certainly ensure that if and when they do record rare species like Willow Tit and Goshawk they obtain sufficient documentation to allow the record to be accepted by the county records committee and published in the annual county bird reports. If this is happening, well and good; if not then I think it entirely appropriate that the records should be doubted.

*Actually I'm not convinced they should know - there must be a lot of jobs that need doing that don't require identification skills and if it was down to me I would hire staff and volunteers who had the competencies to do what needed doing - ability to identify Willow Tits wouldn't be high up on my selection priorities. If being able to identify difficult birds had been a prerequisite I doubt if they would have been able to recruit enough people to make the reserve the fantastic place that it is today.

For what it's worth I think it's perfectly feasible that there are still a few Willow Tits hanging on in the area. In the mid 2000s I was still seeing them at several different sites within a 10 mile radius of Sculthorpe and some of the later ones were after some people would have you believe they were already extinct. I haven't seen one in the area since January 2009 but if there are a few odd birds left, perhaps including one or two close enough to pay the occasional visit to Sculthorpe Moor, it wouldn't surprise me a great deal.

Don't know anything about the singing Pallas's Warbler Daniel, though I've been asked the same question this week. I was told NARVOS area - we are members and have no idea!

Why Swaffham town center or am i missing something?

You're not the only one...

Thanks for that Dawn, it'll be interesting to find out whether it is string, suppression or other. Only time will tell. Out of interest I wonder how long that Dusky warbler was hanging around Lynford for a year or two ago...;)

meds and migrants

A brief visit to pentney yesterday I had a little ringed plover and a single yellow wagtail. Along with a stunning adult med gull flyover. Also 2 pinkfeet. Then just east of east winch in a pig field n of the A47 two more adult med gulls. Then up to snettisham cp lots of willow warbler, 3 sedge and 2 swallows. And a further 2 adult med gulls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back