• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2014 List Going? (1 Viewer)

I'm suffering from the flu today, so I didn't have the opportunity to go birding. However, while soaking up the warm sun on my deck, a new bird for the year flew over.

125. Barn Swallow

Dave

Saw a Lesser Whitethroat today in a park; also heard some birds I could not determine so I'll wait to see if someone will determine them.

So in the last week I had:
77. Common Swift - downtown city center (my friend saw them few days prior so I knew where to look for them; I missed them that first day by few hours)
78. Little Egret (E.garzetta) - they were all over the riverbank
79. Wood Warbler
80. Lesser Whitethroat (both in the same park)
x. I saw some flycatcher-y bird but it was very elusive so I couldn't identify it.
81. Scops Owl - tonight I woke up early as I planned to go birding up the local mountain and see buntings and warblers and whatnot
82. Cirl Bunting - the only new species for 2014 I found on said mountain, in gardens just below the tree line (here the tree line is upside down - forest on top, open space below, because it is how it was cultivated). There were many birds I already saw, a nice assemblage.

It is so silly that I still miss Whitethroat and Yellowhammer

A quick storm surge led to a couple birds lazing around the trees:

APC NWR, 14 April
166. Indigo Bunting
167. Dickcissel
168. Blue Grosbeak
169. Baltimore Oriole

and one I seem to have forgotten:

Brazos Bend SP, 5 April
170. Sora

Thinking about taking a weekend trip to High Island the weekend of 26/27 April. Decisions decisions...

Justin

Last edited:
Weekend bird blitz. 3 crazy SoCal birders, 4 counties, 161 species, 4 lifers, 17 year birds.

221. Black-throated Gray Warbler (LA Co.)
222. Hooded Oriole (LA Co.)
223. Elegant Tern (lifer) (LA Co.)
224. Lesser Yellowlegs (LA Co.)
225. White-faced Ibis (LA Co.)
226. Long-billed Curlew (lifer) (Orange Co.)
227. Horned Lark (Orange Co.)
228. Loggerhead Shrike (Riverside Co.)
229. Yellow-headed Blackbird (Riverside Co.)
230. Northern Pintail (Riverside Co.)
231. Ash-throated Flycatcher (San Bernardino Co.)
232. Black-chinned Hummingbird (San Bernardino Co.)
233. Pygmy Nuthatch (San Bernardino Co.)
234. Golden Eagle (lifer) (San Bernardino Co.)
235. Bell's Sparrow (lifer) (LA Co.)
236. Nashville Warbler (LA Co.)
237. Great Horned Owl (LA Co.)

Last edited:
This morning while running errands, I stopped by a nearby pond to see what was around and picked up a new bird for the year.

129. Osprey

Dave

Finally a few to report. A morning at High Island yesterday turned up:
173 Broad-winged Hawk
174 Inca Dove
175 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
176 Eastern Wood-Pewee
177 Warbling Vireo
178 Red-eyed Vireo
179 Blue-winged Warbler
180 Golden-winged Warbler
181 Blackburnian Warbler
182 Chestnut-sided Warbler
183 Black-throated Geen Warbler
184 Summer Tanager
185 Indigo Bunting
186 Painted Bunting
187 Orchard Oriole
188 Baltimore Oriole
189 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
190 Blue Grosbeak

Just now at work:
191 Western Kingbird

Jeff

Birding around the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, this morning, I added three species to this year's Missouri List:
115. Yellow-rumped Warbler
116. Stilt Sandpiper
117. Lark Sparrow

Coming back to the office from lunch, finally got great close-up views of perched:
238. Mitred Parakeet (lifer)

I hear them flying over every day, but for my first sighting didn't want to make any assumptions. These are not ABA countable currently, but they're established in LA enough for my purposes. 235 ABA official year list (sans Mitred/Yellow-chevroned/Rose-ringed Parakeets).

Last edited:
18-04-14. Hoylake Langfields, Wirral

390 Tree Pipit
391 Common Whitethroat

Red Rocks, Wirral

392 Eur. Reed Warbler

Finally got time to do my whole patch this morning. :t: There were at least 5 male Grasshopper Warbler reeling away, 7 Northern Wheatear and 2 Lesser Whitethroat with 4 Willow Warbler, 3 Common Chiffchaff and 3 Blackcap in song. Hirundines were mainly Barn Swallow but a single House Martin in among 20+ Sand Martin was good. I rounded off by calling into Red Rocks, hoping for a Ring Ouzel, where there were more Groppers and my first Reed Warbler of the year. Having a bacon butty and cup of coffee now and debating whether to nip over to Leasowe, just in case something has dropped in there.

My Dorset list is now up to 96 with three new birds for the year.
94 Kingfisher
95 Reed Bunting
96 Mandarin Duck = male & female

Last edited:
Six new birds for the year this morning bring me up to 135.

130. Blue-headed Vireo
131. Black-and-white Warbler
132. Savannah Sparrow
133. Black-throated Green Warbler
134. Pine Warbler
135. Chimney Swift

Dave

Long overdue year tick today:

291. Meadow Pipit

Also heard a Spotted Crake, which would be a lifer but I don't tick on call so it remains off the list... For now!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back