• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Titchwell & Choseley full of birds today. My highlights:
Dotterel x5, red c pochard x2, Garganey, Y Wag (h), 1st sum Med Gull, LRP x2 and many other waders, L Terns, C Scoter, Warblers, Wheatears and Swifts
Not big numbers of migrants but certainly good range of sps
After I left ... Hobby and Channel Wag seen

I realise Penny has already highlighted this but in case anyone interested or actively involved in birding in northwest Norfolk hasn't seen this message from Mark Bradberry about the closure of a section of the Snettisham coastal footpath:

There is an interesting article in the May 'Hunstanton Town Around' on page 6. Many birders will know how good the birding can be from this path in Snettisham as the Greater Sand Plover was viewed from it, also there was a Broad-billed Sandpiper one year. The birding is good there as it is one of the first places to reveal mud after a spring tide, so many waders go there. It would be great if you could inform Norfolk birders that the path may be opened again if enough people support it by contacting any Snettisham parish councillor or by phoning the S.P.C. clerk on 01485 543721.
Many thanks,
Mark.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION and SHARE on Facebook, Twitter, Email etc. Thank you and together united, we will keep this path OPEN!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-petition-stop-closer-of-our-footpath-please

Titchwell May 8th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl - 1 in/off sea @ 16:00
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 4 drakes on grazing meadow pool
Garganey - pair in reedbed
Ruff - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell May 9th

Today's highlights

Green sandpiper - 1st of the year on the fresh marsh
Garganey - pair in reedbed
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh all afternoon
Peregrine - 1 over saltmarsh this morning
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh

Paul

I realise Penny has already highlighted this but in case anyone interested or actively involved in birding in northwest Norfolk hasn't seen this message from Mark Bradberry about the closure of a section of the Snettisham coastal footpath:

There is an interesting article in the May 'Hunstanton Town Around' on page 6. Many birders will know how good the birding can be from this path in Snettisham as the Greater Sand Plover was viewed from it, also there was a Broad-billed Sandpiper one year. The birding is good there as it is one of the first places to reveal mud after a spring tide, so many waders go there. It would be great if you could inform Norfolk birders that the path may be opened again if enough people support it by contacting any Snettisham parish councillor or by phoning the S.P.C. clerk on 01485 543721.
Many thanks,
Mark.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION and SHARE on Facebook, Twitter, Email etc. Thank you and together united, we will keep this path OPEN!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-petition-stop-closer-of-our-footpath-please

Cor the grammar on it though!

County Recorder Role

I’m writing as Norfolk Bird Report Editor and also on behalf of Tony Leech in his role as Publications Manager for the Norfolk & Norwich Naturalists’ Society, the organisation which publishes, finances and distributes the Bird Report.

After seven years of tremendously hard work, Dave and Jacquie Bridges are seeking to relinquish their role as County Recorders. We have much to thank them both for - the fact that the Bird Report still appears today is due entirely to their efforts.

However, NNNS now needs to plan ahead and find a replacement County Recorder so that the Bird Report can continue to appear in future. In broad terms the role is likely to continue in its present format, working with Tony as NNNS link and with myself as Editor, though of course there will be plenty of opportunity to develop new approaches and ways of working as well. The new Recorder will be at the heart of any decisions on these matters.

The basic requirements are a good knowledge of the county’s birds and a familiarity with IT and data handling issues. The ability to work well with all sections of the birding community will also be an asset. A (small) honorarium is paid by NNNS and all incidental expenses are covered.

I would be really grateful if you could give some thought to identifying anyone in the county who you feel may be able to undertake the role and who might be interested in taking it forward and developing it. Please feel free to spread the word amongst your contacts and encourage them to do the same in turn.

The change to a new Recorder will be a managed one, and Dave and Jacquie have emphasised that they will work for as long as is necessary to ensure a smooth and orderly transition. The aim will be to publish details of the new arrangements in the next Bird Report, due out in the autumn.

If you would like any further details about the role or can identify anyone who might be interested please let either Tony or myself know. We are both happy to discuss the role on a ‘no obligation either way’ basis though any final decision over the appointment and its future direction rests with NNNS.

Thanks very much for your interest!

Andy Stoddart
Tony Leech

11 Dotterels at Choseley today. 5 Yellow Wagtails on the Eye Field, Cley and the Temminck's Stint showing nicely from Dauke's Hide this evening – last saw it at 7.45pm;)

Penny:girl:

Hundreds of Swifts this afternoon at Claxton Marshes, against a dramatic backdrop of dark stormy skies. A Turtle Dove at Langley this morning was new for the patch, although I had better not be too precise in terms of location as it appears folk are twitching them this year! A sign of the times in more ways than one.

Quick questions- Burgh Castle. How would I get there, where do I view from? Breydon Water- access again from ASDA is good?

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim
Burgh Castle. Head for the Roman Fort, there's an official car park on Butt Lane, you can view from the fort itself or there's a handy view point with information board just to the north. To get down to the estuary, there are some steps just a little beyond that or head for the church and take the track between it and Church Farm. This will bring you to the footpath that runs along Breydon South shore.
Breydon Water. Access is back to normal from ASDA for the North shore, or if you want to get to the South shore at its east end, take the turning shortly before the bridge and park at the Rugby club

1 Yellow Wagtail on the Eye Field, Cley along with 2 Wheatears. The Temminck's Stints x 2 this evening from Dauke's Hide, Cley NWT are different ones from those that were seen yesterday (according to ETM).

Penny:girl:

Titchwell May 12th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 along beach this morning
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Went to Rush Hill scrape at Hickling today. Between 11-12.30 there were lots of dunlin and ringed plover, common terns, 1 greenshank, 1 redshank, 3 common sandpipers, 1 crane flew over and several more were heard.
On the walk there and back I saw 1 buzzard, a few marsh harriers, sedge and reed warblers, blackcap, willow warblers, chiffchaffs.

No sign of any Temmink's stint though.

Viewing was hampered at times by strong heat haze.

Hi Jim
Burgh Castle. Head for the Roman Fort, there's an official car park on Butt Lane, you can view from the fort itself or there's a handy view point with information board just to the north. To get down to the estuary, there are some steps just a little beyond that or head for the church and take the track between it and Church Farm. This will bring you to the footpath that runs along Breydon South shore.
Breydon Water. Access is back to normal from ASDA for the North shore, or if you want to get to the South shore at its east end, take the turning shortly before the bridge and park at the Rugby club

Cheers Alison. Will give it a look over the next few weeks.

Jim.

Had a nice mix of local and broadland birding today that began with a Turtle Dove, Little Owl, Lesser Whitethroat, singing Reed Bunting and four Bullfinches on a common near my village. The Little Owl was being mobbed by a pair of Treecreepers while it sat in its chosen tree looking slightly bemused about the harrasment. This owl should be re-named Mischievous Owl as whenever I see one, they always seem to have an aura of cute abandonment about them.

Went over to Buckenham Marsh late morning and had barely got out the car when a familiar chipping noise overhead, had me looking skyward. Expected to see one or two Crossbills going over but was surprised to count a nice late spring flock of 21 flying west. Very pleasing for the time of year and the site.
A juvenile Mistle Thrush perched on a telegraph wire and a scan over the marsh showed that it was alive with Swifts. Barely 30 minutes later and was halfway down the track and I could here Cranes calling in the distance. I picked up three of these majestic birds circling over the other side of the river. They gradually drifted over to the Buckenham side and then headed off in a northerly direction.
A Hobby was hawking over Claxton Marsh and three Common Buzzards were on the wing also. Back over Buckenham, a virtually tail-less female Sparrowhawk was circling and the lack of a tail made her look just like a miniature Buzzard which was interesting to see. The Mute Swan numbers were up to at least 120.
A Cuckoo began calling in the distance and a group of five Common Terns flew up-river followed shortly after by the regular 1st summer Little Gull which was hawking insects over the river. A Snipe drummed briefly, the Redshanks were very active and there were several Lapwing chicks. Nice to have some first hand evidence of waders breeding on site.

I thought that was the end of my birding day but this was not the case as a Red Kite low over the A140 back near home proved, putting the final icing on a very good days birding which came out of nowhere.

Steve.

Last edited:
Buckenham

Ah! I must've chatted to you Steve: were you on the riverbank with two ladies? Here's a couple of photos!
David

Attachments

• LG best.jpg
    LG best.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 108
  • LG best 3.jpg
    LG best 3.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 123
  • C calling.jpg
    C calling.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 132
  • LG best 2.jpg
    LG best 2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
That's what I call a days birding !

Had a nice mix of local and broadland birding today that began with a Turtle Dove, Little Owl, Lesser Whitethroat, singing Reed Bunting and four Bullfinches on a common near my village. The Little Owl was being mobbed by a pair of Treecreepers while it sat in its chosen tree looking slightly bemused about the harrasment. This owl showed be re-named Mischievous Owl as whenever I see one, they always seem to have an aura of cute abandonment about them.

Went over to Buckenham Marsh late morning and had barely got out the car when a familiar chipping noise overhead, had me looking skyward. Expected to see one or two Crossbills going over but was surprised to count a nice late spring flock of 21 flying west. Very pleasing for the time of year and the site.
A juvenile Mistle Thrush perched on a telegraph wire and a scan over the marsh showed that it was alive with Swifts. Barely 30 minutes later and was halfway down the track and I could here Cranes calling in the distance. I picked up three of these majestic birds circling over the other side of the river. They gradually drifted over to the Buckenham side and then headed off in a northerly direction.
A Hobby was hawking over Claxton Marsh and three Common Buzzards were on the wing also. Back over Buckenham, a virtually tail-less female Sparrowhawk was circling and the lack of a tail made her look just like a miniature Buzzard which was interesting to see. The Mute Swan numbers were up to at least 120.
A Cuckoo began calling in the distance and a group of five Common Terns flew up-river followed shortly after by the regular 1st summer Little Gull which was hawking insects over the river. A Snipe drummed briefly, the Redshanks were very active and there were several Lapwing chicks. Nice to have some first hand evidence of waders breeding on site.

I thought that was the end of my birding day but this was not the case as a Red Kite low over the A140 back near home proved, putting the final icing on a very good days birding which came out of nowhere.

Steve.
Great days birding there Steve
I would be happy if i just had half of that lot in me note pad ,come end of day!
Happy birding,
Shaky

ladies man

Had a nice mix of local and broadland birding today that began with a Turtle Dove, Little Owl, Lesser Whitethroat, singing Reed Bunting and four Bullfinches on a common near my village. The Little Owl was being mobbed by a pair of Treecreepers while it sat in its chosen tree looking slightly bemused about the harrasment. This owl showed be re-named Mischievous Owl as whenever I see one, they always seem to have an aura of cute abandonment about them.

Steve.

Sounds fantastic Steve, some of the numbers are brilliant - where have they all come from!

Some good falls of common migrant through Dungeness and Portland especially Spotted Flycatcher so should be filtering up in the next few days

Hopefully there will be some photos of an interesting looking yellow wagtail subspecies seen in the Eye field at midday. Couldn't really scrutinise the images due to work commitments and watching with some joy one John Miller struggle lifting something out of his car.

Two cuckoos last night calling last night near Kettlestone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back