• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

... and 22 plausible etymologies! (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s twenty-two small additional information regarding the possible Etymologies of some various, more or less, uncertain Bird Names that I´ve happened to stumble upon trying to understand various Swedish Bird Names …

Disclaimer! ALL of the explanations in this list are just plausible, I haven´t gone the full length in researching them, but I thought it might be a good idea to post my findings anyhow – just as small clues or little leads, if someone else feel like investigating these names further!?

The following might, could, maybe, add something new regarding the following various names:

No. 1 – nebouxii in …
● Blue-footed Booby Sula nebouxii MILNE-EDWARDS 1882
... probably the French Naturalitst and Dr (surgeon): Adolphe Simon Neboux (18061844*) a k a "Adolphe-Simon Néboux" (*sometimes his years are given as "1806–après/about 1847"), who sailed on the frigate Vénus between the years 1836 and 1839, visiting the Pacific coast of North America and the Galápagos Islands.

No. 2 – sousae in …
● The subspecies (Orthotomus) Artisornis moreaui sousae BENSON 1945
could be the portuguese Civil servant, doctor Américo Baptista de Sousa (xxxx-xxxx), Provincial Commissioner in Portuguese East Africa (today Mozambique) in the 1930's and -40's. (See attached type description)

No. 3 – "Loria" and loriae in …
● the Generic name "Loria" (syn. Cnemophilus DE VIS 1890) as in "Loria loriae" SALVADORI 1893/94 (today Loria's Bird-of-paradise Cnemophilus loriae a k a "Loria's Satinbird").
● the subspecies Pitta erythrogaster loriae SALVADORI 1890 as "Pitta Loriae".
● the subspecies Ptilorrhoa leucosticta loriae SALVADORI 1896 as "Eupetes loriae".
possibly the Italian Ethnologist, Naturalist and Collector (of birds, insects, plants and ethnographical materials): Dr. Lamberto Loria (1855–1913), who explored New Guinea in the 1880's and 1890's.

I doubt that that all of them (by the ending ae) should be commemorating any (however wonderful?) wife of his (as been claimed)? Also compare with, for example; the Loria's Mastiff Bat Mormopterus loriae THOMAS 1897 and Large Tree Mouse Pogonomys loriae THOMAS 1897 and many, many others.

No. 4 – richardi in …
● Richard's Pipit Anthus richardi VIEILLOT 1818
= the unknown French Naturalist M. (Monsieur) Mr. Richard ("c.1750–c.1820"*), from the township Lunéville – who collected the first specimen of this species in 1815 and another one, the year after.

*Anyway according to: Hobbs, J. 2012. List of Pipits with References. Version 1.2 (December 2012). See link (here).

Could this Mr. Richard, maybe, might be the French Botanist Louis Richard (1754–1821), whose full name was Louis Claude Marie Richard – commemorated in the today invalid Generic Plant Name Richardia (Syn: Zantedeschia) ... ??? He was, at that time, famous enough, not in need of any further presentation. HBW Alive (2014) tells us: " Louis-Claude Richard (fl. 1792) French ornithologist, collector (Anthus)" ...

No. 5 – beli in …
● the subspecies "Bel's Silver Pheasant" Lophura nycthemera beli MILNE EDWARDS 1897: "M. Marc Bel"
= Mr. (M. = Monsieur) Marc Bel – that personally brought these birds to Paris in 1897, after his visit to French Indochina.

This Mr. Bel could, might be (!?) the French Mining engineer Jean Marc Bel (18551930), that traveled the World (Northern Bolivia in 1888–1889 and 1896, Transvaal in South Africa in 1892, several Countries in South East Asia in 1893, 1895, 1896–1897 and African Kongo 1906–1908). Renown member of the two prestigious French Societies: Société de géographie and Académie des sciences d’outre-mer.

No. 6 – milleti in …
● Black-hooded Laughingthrush Garrulax milleti KLOSS 1919 (a k a "Vietnam Laughing-thrush"): "This striking species is named in honour of Monsieur F. Millet in charge of the forest of Langbian Province and a big-game hunter, to whom I owe thanks for much assistance, information, and hospitality during my visit to the Langbian Plateau." who shot the Types, a pair, in "South Annam. 2-4 May 1918"
most likely the almost totally un-known French Big-Game Hunter Fernand Victor Millet (xxxx-xxxxx)

No. 7 – navai in …
● Nava’s Wren Hylorchilus (sumichrasti) navai CROSSIN & Ely 1971
= the fairly unknown Mexican naturalist and ornithologist Juan Nava, whose full name probably was Juan Nava Solorio, and not, like in the type description: "We are pleased to name this subspecies for Juan Nava Solario, … ".

Juan Nava collected the type on the 4th January 1971 and was still alive and active in 1993 …

No. 8 – ruahae in …
● Tanzanian Red-billed Hornbill Tockus (erythrorhynchus) ruahae KEMP & DELPORT 2002 a k a "Ruaha Hornbill"
most likely Ruaha National Park, in Central Tanzania – where this species was discovered (in the Wild), after having been found for the first time (in 1991) in the Zoological Garden Jurong Bird Park, in Singapore! The NP, in its turn, is named after Ruaha Mkuu (in English called Ruaha - or Great Ruaha River), one of three larger rivers, that flows through this National Park.

No. 9 – sabini in …
● Sabine's Spinetail Rhaphidura sabini GRAY 1829: ”Bluish black; belly and rump white. Afrika. Capt. Sabine.” a k a " Sabine’s Spine-tailed Swift "
possibly the British Explorer and Naval Captain Sir Edward Sabine (1783–1883).

Also commemorated in for example:
● Sabine's Gull (Larus) Xema sabini J. SABINE 1819
● Sabine's Puffback Dryoscopus sabini GRAY 1831: ”Capt. EDWARD SABINE"
● as well as the invalid "Sabine's Snipe Scolopax Sabini” J. SABINE 1818 (= melanistic Common Snipe Gallinago gallinago)

No. 10 – wakoloensis in …
● the hard-to-place, long-debated species (or subspecies) Wakolo Myzomela Myzomela (chloroptera/boiei/sanguinolenta) wakoloensis FORBES 1882 "Wakolo Honeyeater"
most likely derives from the word Wakolo meaning lake, by the Alfuro (Alefuro) people on the Island Buru, Indonesia. This word was applied by Forbes (1882) to the lake itself as "lake of Wakolo" or "Lake Wakolo" – literally meaning the "lake of lake" or "the lake Lake" (today's Rana Wakolo or Lake Rana).

No. 11 – Buddinghia in …
● the invalid generic name Buddinghia SCHLEGEL & POLLEN 1867 (syn: Philepitta Saint-Hilaire 1938)
possibly (Note: I haven´t seen the OD!) the Dutch civil servant and amateur naturalist Johan Adriaan Buddingh (1840–1870), who collected in today's Java, Indonesia.

No. 12 – Clark's in …
● the Common name Clark's Nutcracker Nucifraga columbiana Wilson 1811 a k a "Clark's Crow"
probably the well-known US explorer William Clark (1770–1838), one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1803–1806) when this species was discovered.

No. 13 – cairnsi in …
● the subspecies "Cairns's Warbler" (Dendroica) Setophaga caerulescens cairnsi COUES 1897
most likely the US field naturalist (of Scottish Heritage) and collector John Simpson Cairns (1862–1895), of Weaverville, North Carolina – who first discovered this Warbler, and collected its type specimen.

He was killed in the line of duty, misshappened to shot himself while trying to knock down fungus from a log!

No. 14 – Batchelder's in …
● the out-dated Common name of the today invalid "Batchelder's woodpecker" Dryobates pubescens "oreœcus" BATCHELDER 1889 [Syn: subspecies (Dryobates/Dendrocopos) Picoides pubescens leucurus HARTLAUB 1852]
most likely the US naturalist, ornithologist, collector and its describer Charles Foster Batchelder (1856–1954).

No. 15 – ramonianus in …
● the debated subspecies (or species?) Trogon (violaceus) ramonianus DEVILLE & DES MURS, 1849
probably the Spanish, Franciscan missionary Ramón Busquet (1772–1846), that missioned in Peru in the beginning of the 1800's.

No. 16 – bondi in …
● the subspecies Tyto alba bondi PARKES & PHILLIPS 1978 [Two New Caribbean Subspecies of Barn Owl (Tyto alba), with Remarks on variation in other Populations, Annals of the Carnegie Museum 47 (article 20) pp. 479-492]: "It is a pleasure to name this distinctive form for our friend James Bond of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, collector of the first Bay Island specimen of Barn Owl, whose interest in the Caribbean Islands has long included those of the periphery, such as Isla Cozumel, the cays off Belize, and the Bay Islands. "(on pp. 487-488). Link to volume (here)
most likely the well-known ornithologist "Mr. Bond, James Bond" (1900–1989)

No. 17 – willisi in …
● the subspecies Habia fuscicauda willisi PARKES 1969: "Etymology: it is most appropriate that this subspecies of ant tanager should be named for Dr. Edwin O. Willis, who has contributed so much to our knowledge of the biology of the tanagers of the genus Habia."
most likely the US ornithologist, resident in Brazil, Dr Edwin O’Neill Willis (1935– )

No. 18 – raimondii in:
● Raimondi's Yellow-Finch Sicalis raimondii TACZANOWSKI 1874
● Peruvian Plantcutter Phytotoma raimondii TACZANOWSKI 1883
most likely the Italian naturalist and explorer Antonio Raimondi (1826-1890)
Born 19 September 1826, in Milan (Milano) … resident in Peru from 1850 till his death 26 October 1890

No. 19 – wedeli in:
● the subspecies Lophostrix cristata wedeli GRISCOM 1932
possibly the Latin-American ornithologist and collector Hasso von Wedel (xxxx- xxxx) that collected in Panama 1926-1930 and 1940-1941 – who might have collected the Type , a female adult, dark phase; in "Permé, Caribbean slope of Darien, eastern Panama; November 2, 1929. H. Wedel."

Not (at least I don´t think so !?),to be confused with the German Nazi officer General Hasso von Wedel 1898–1961, or the German fighter Pilot, by exactly the same name, (1893–1945). It sure would be difficult to be notorious in WWII and at the same time, in precisely those years, collect birds in Panama!?

No. 20 – courseni in …
● Apurimac Spinetail Synallaxis courseni BLAKE 1971 a k a "Apurímac spinetail"
probably the US Business man, Field and Amateur ornithologist etc. etc. Charles Blair Coursen (1899–1974)*

Born 2 July 1899, in Salem Pennsylvania … died 6th of April 1975 at Hinsdale Illinois, USA.

From its Type Description; Blake, E R. 1971. A new species of spinetail (Synallaxis) from Peru. The Auk 88 (1): 179. Link to full volume (here)
"The new species is named in honor of C. Blair Coursen, whose interest in neotropical birds and timely generosity in support of field work have resulted in important Peruvian collections,
of which the holotype is a part. A dedicated and gifted amateur ornithologist of wide interests, Mr. Coursen is co-author (with E. R. Ford and C. C. Sanborn) of "Birds of the Chicago region" (1934) and has conducted field studies in several tropical American countries.
"
*Not to be confused with his son; Charles Blair Coursen, Jr (1923–1972).

No. 21 – "maximiliani" in …
● the long debated (either synonym, if so to nominate N. g. geoffroyi or valid subspecies ... ?) "Bahia Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo" Neomorphus geoffroyi "maximiliani"
… most likely the German noble; Graf (Count) Maximilian Alexander Philipp zu Wied-Neuwied a k a Prinz (Prince) zu Wied (1782–1867) … as the type description* "mentions: "Cabinets Laugier de Chartrousse e prince Neuwied; Musées de Paris, de Berlin, de Vienne et Pays-Bas". Dêstes exemplares, o único cuja procedência se pode ter como certa é o do principe Maximiliano, …"

(Note: I´ve only seen excerpts, Google Books, "snippet view" – not the full article!)
*Pinto, O.M.O. (1962) Miscelânea ornitológica: notas sobre a variação geográfica nas populações de Neomorphus geoffroyi, com a descrição de uma subespécie nova. Papéis Avulsos do Departamento de Zoologia, Secretaria da Agricultura, São Paulo, 15, 299–301.

No. 22 – Newtonia in …
● the Generic name Newtonia SCHLEGEL 1866
most likely the two British brothers Alfred Newton (1829–1907) and his younger brother Sir Edward Newton (1832–1897) … even if the latter most often gets all the credit.

Anyone of a different view?

Björn Bergenholtz, Stockholm, Sweden

PS. Please, don´t hesitate to prove me wrong! Any additional info regarding these etymologies are warmly welcomed! And; if I you know something more or feel like adding something (whatever small), please clearly state which one you are commenting on … just to avoid confusion.

PPS. Any good luck on any future attempts really, truly pin-pointing them!

Attachments

• Benson's sousae 1945.jpg
    Benson's sousae 1945.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
You´re right Justin ...

Could be, and if so (I don´t know); apparently born 15 november 1821 (link here from yours, onwards)

"Buddinghia". SCHLEGEL & POLLEN 1867 [= 1868]: "Pollen, in litteris. — Buddinghia superba, idem" in vol 2 (Mammifères et Oiseaux) of Recherches sur la faune de Madagascar et de ses dépendances, d'après les découvertes de François P. L. Pollen et D. C. Van Dam. Page 88. Link to OD (here)

If so indicationg that Pollen coined the name after Schlegel's wife ... ?

Last edited:
In a review of Recharges Faune Madagascar in the Ibis: “We must make one more remark before leaving this interesting work. What can be the object of printing the manuscript names applied by Mr. Pollen “in litteris” to species which have been previously described? Of course that gentleman was quite right in sending home descriptions of his specimens as he collected them and quite right in putting names to those descriptions. Some of these were published from time to time by Prof. Schlegel in the Dutch journal now alas extinct to which we have already referred and many names there applied stand, but as for others they merely encumber the memories and mislead the imagination of ornithologists.” Nederlandsch Tijdschrift voor de Dierkunde

http://www.euppublishing.com/doi/abs/10.3366/anh.2005.32.1.107?journalCode=anh .
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/45346#page/7/mode/1up .

Last edited:
The stray Buddinghia that found Sganzin!

Thanks, "mb1848" ...

However … even if I couldn´t find any Buddinghia in that 1863 issue of Nederlandsch tijdschrift voor de dierkunde (I didn´t understand if you meant that I would find it there or where to look for it!?) … one good thing came out of my random browsing … regarding yet another, fairly unknown Etymology … me assuming he is the same man as in James Jobling's HBW Alive Key for sganzini:
Capt. Victor Sganzin (fl. 1840) French Army, Governor of Ile Sainte-Marie, Madagascar 1831-1832, naturalist, collector (Alectroenas).
On page 282 they mention a certain Monsieur Victor Sganzin "… est déc´dé à Lorient. le 23 Février 1841, á lʼâge de quarante-deux ans" … !? Leading to (a Google search: "Victor Sganzin", in quotation marks, + 1841) other sources claiming him to be "… né à Strasbourg en 1799".

Though I don´t know for sure they are talking of "James's guy" … but it sure looks like it!

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"

Cheers!

Nederlandsch Tijdschrift voor de Dierkunde is simply the "alas extinct" journal alluded to in the review of Recherches sur la faune de Madagascar published in Ibis. This is where Schlegel published some of the material that Pollen sent him.
But, indeed, not Buddinghia, which is apparently strictly a manuscript name, that was never used as valid in any publication.

No. 19 – wedeli in:
● the subspecies Lophostrix cristata wedeli GRISCOM 1932
possibly the Latin-American ornithologist and collector Hasso von Wedel (xxxx- xxxx) that collected in Panama 1926-1930 and 1940-1941 – who might have collected the Type , a female adult, dark phase; in "Permé, Caribbean slope of Darien, eastern Panama; November 2, 1929. H. Wedel."

Not (at least I don´t think so !?),to be confused with the German Nazi officer General Hasso von Wedel 1898–1961, or the German fighter Pilot, by exactly the same name, (1893–1945). It sure would be difficult to be notorious in WWII and at the same time, in precisely those years, collect birds in Panama!?
OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Crested Owl ssp. Lophostrix cristata wedeli Griscom, 1932
Dr. Hans von Wedel (DNF) was a German collector in Panama (1926-1930) and (1940-1941).

The old key:
Hans von Wedel (fl. 1941) German collector in Panama 1926-1930, 1940-1941 (subsp. Lophostrix cristata).

If Hasso or Hans is totally unknown by me. As well it might be worth as well to get his life dates. I tend to Hasso following Wetmore here .

And see Alwyn Hasso von Wedel (1873–1957): Bird and plant collector on the Caribbean coast of Panama

Last edited:
No. 2 – sousae in …
● The subspecies (Orthotomus) Artisornis moreaui sousae BENSON 1945
could be the portuguese Civil servant, doctor Américo Baptista de Sousa (xxxx-xxxx), Provincial Commissioner in Portuguese East Africa (today Mozambique) in the 1930's and -40's. (See attached type description)

Maybe one of the others in the list is born 1902 here? (sousae)

No. 7 – navai in …
● Nava’s Wren Hylorchilus (sumichrasti) navai CROSSIN & Ely 1971
= the fairly unknown Mexican naturalist and ornithologist Juan Nava, whose full name probably was Juan Nava Solorio, and not, like in the type description: "We are pleased to name this subspecies for Juan Nava Solario, … ".

Discussed again here.

Last edited:
No. 6 – milleti in …
● Black-hooded Laughingthrush Garrulax milleti KLOSS 1919 (a k a "Vietnam Laughing-thrush"): "This striking species is named in honour of Monsieur F. Millet in charge of the forest of Langbian Province and a big-game huhttps://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/53480#page/110/mode/1upnter, to whom I owe thanks for much assistance, information, and hospitality during my visit to the Langbian Plateau." who shot the Types, a pair, in "South Annam. 2-4 May 1918"
most likely the almost totally un-known French Big-Game Hunter Fernand Victor Millet (xxxx-xxxxx)

Even if I do not like bis biography:
  • Garrulax milleti Robinson & Kloss, 1919 here
  • Rattus edwardsi milleti Robinson & Kloss, 1922 here
  • Rana milleti Smith , 1921 here

Millet's Laughingthrush Garrulax milleti H. C. Robinson & Kloss, 1919 [Alt. Blackhooded Laughingthrush]
Fernand Victor Millet (b.1878) was the superintendent of forests in Annam,in French colonial Vietnam. He wrote Les Grands Animaux Sauvages de l'Annam, leurs Moeurs, leur Chasse, leur Tir (1930). He appears to have been responsible for quite considerable slaughter. He acted as a professional guide forimportant visitors, including French journalist Albert Londres, who wrote that by the time they met in Indochina, Millet had already shot 47 tigers. Robinson (q.v.) and Kloss (q.v.) also named a mammal after him; Kloss wrote 'I am greatly indebted to Monsieur Millet for assistance and hospitality during my visit to the Langbian Plateau.' A mammal and an amphibian are named after him.

The old key:
Fernand Victor Millet (b. 1878) French Superintendent of Forests in Langbian Province, Annam, big-game hunter (Garrulax).

It is very likely that he was born here 23. June 1878 in Paris.

No. 1 – nebouxii in …
● Blue-footed Booby Sula nebouxii MILNE-EDWARDS 1882
... probably the French Naturalitst and Dr (surgeon): Adolphe Simon Neboux (18061844) a k a "Adolphe-Simon Néboux" (sometimes his years are given as "1806–après/about 1847"), who sailed on the frigate Vénus between the years 1836 and 1839, visiting the Pacific coast of North America and the Galápagos Islands.
Strongly disagree to 1844. He died here p. 14 of 31 on 5. September 1885 9. Arrondissement Paris.

Confirmation of correct birth date for FV Millet (attached)

Also agree regarding

Adolphe Simon NEBOUX
1806–1885
BIRTH 22 FEB 1806 • La Châtre,36400,Indre,Centre-Val de Loire,FRANCE,
DEATH 5 SEP 1885 • Paris,75000,Paris,Île-de-France,FRANCE,9e
Occupation Chirurgien

His father

Jean Baptiste Simon NEBOUX

1777–1844
BIRTH 9 MAY 1777 • Préveranges,18370,Cher,Centre-Val de Loire,FRANCE,
DEATH 1844
Occupation Docteur en médecine

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
b. 23 Jul 1878, Paris.

("Du vingt six juillet, mil huit cent soixante dix huit, à deux heures du soir. Acte de naissance de Fernand Victor du sexe masculin, né le vingt trois du mois, à dix heures du soir, à Paris, rue Gay Lussac n° 16, et à nous présenté, fils de Pierre Jules Millet, âgé de trente deux ans, gérant, et de Alphonsine Marie Louise Lefèvre, âgée de vingt neuf ans, couturière, non mariés, demeurant comme dessus.")

d. 22 Oct 1946, Salie-de-Béarn -- I agree. (I see no reason to doubt it; but I don't think we'll find an online archive to confirm it -- 1946 is too recent.)

Last edited:
Maybe one of the others in the list is born 1902 here? (sousae)

Artisornis moreaui sousae (Benson, 1945) OD here (but also in björns original thread)
Named in honor of Senor A. Baptista de Sousa, Provincial Commisioner at Vila Cabral, Portuguese Africa.

A. Baptista de Sousa (DNF) was the Portuguese Provincial Commissioner at Vila Cabral, Mozambique.

The old key:
Dr Américo Baptista de Sousa (fl. 1945) Portuguese Provincial Commissioner at Vila Cabral, Mozambique (Artisornis).

Is the husband of Ester Baptista de Sousa (geb. Gil Abranches Nobre), 1906 - 1979 not the correct Américo Baptista de Sousa?

P.S. He is mentioned in here p. 33

Concluíram o Curso Superior Colonial no ano lectivo de 1931 a 1932 os senhores: Américo Baptista de Sousa, António Emílio Simões da Mota, Francisco Rodrigues Dentes Júnior, João Maria da Conceição, Joaquim Gomes Rascão, Vasco Ferreira Martins e Virgílio Rebordão.

Last edited:
Is the husband of Ester Baptista de Sousa (geb. Gil Abranches Nobre), 1906 - 1979 not the correct Américo Baptista de Sousa?

Some words about them in the preface of a book she wrote: https://www.incm.pt/portal/bo/produtos/anexos/10012020090323170227814.pdf
Esther Abranches gostava de recordar esse tempo em que foi menina e depois estudante em Coimbra, com férias obrigatórias na sua Vide. Eu deliciava-me a ouvir a descrição desse paraíso perdido.
Seu marido, o inspector Américo Baptista de Sousa, foi um alto funcionário administrativo com uma brilhante folha de serviços. Terminou a carreira em Angola, depois de iniciada em Moçambique, tentando a duras penas implantar no terreno a visão inspiradora do Código do Trabalho do ministro Adriano Moreira — contendo inovações mal aceites pela rotina colonial —, o que lhe acarretou incompreensões e dissabores. Homem de recta razão e vasta cultura, iniciou-me, também na varanda do prior, nos prolegómenos da ciência económica e política, que exerciam sobre mim uma enorme sedução. Foi a ouvi-lo que pela primeira vez ouvi falar em Darwin, Malthus, Marx, Adam Smith. Devo essa homenagem à sua memória. E de algum modo foi o casal responsável pela atracção que a África havia de exercer sobre mim, a partir do momento em que, integrado no Orfeão Académico da Universidade de Coimbra, em 1949 a visitei.
This in any case makes Ester's husband an administrative officer in Portuguese Africa (first Mozambique, then Angola), where the author of the preface (Ester's cousin) visited them in 1949. So it seems he was at the right place at the right time. He's called an 'inspector' rather than a 'comissário provincial', but I guess he could have been both at different times of his life ?

Here's some additional info on H. (von) Wedel, as earlier suggested (back in 2014, see post #1, No.19), commemorated in ...

wedeli as in:
• the (Crested) Owl ssp. Lophostrix cristata wedeli GRISCOM 1932 (here):
Type.—No. 155,180. ... Permé, Caribbean slope of Darien, eastern Panama; November 2, 1929; H. Wedel, No. 1,919.
[...]
This surprising discovery is named after the collector, probably the only man who ever secured six specimens of this rare Owl in one region in less than a year. ...

In today's Key we find the dedicatee as:
wedeli
Hans von Wedel (fl. 1941) German collector in Panama 1926-1930, 1940-1941 (subsp. Lophostrix cristata).

But ... I would (indeed) think that this guy was: Hasso von Wedel (18731957), whose full name seems to have been; Alwyn Hasso von Wedel, German Naturalist and Photographer, as well as collector (of both Plants and Birds) in Panama, etc., etc., ...

More about him here, (alt. here).

Enjoy!

Björn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back