View Single Post
Old Sunday 29th March 2015, 12:08   #2
Owen Krout

Gedalou Reservoir Panjin, Dawa, Liaoning 2015-MAR-27

I finally found a really good site for birding in my area. Our son-in-law called on Friday to tell us he was going to pick us up to take me the lake east of Panjin, Dawa, Liaoning (Gedalou Reservoir) because someone had told him that was where to go to see birds.

Turned out really well as it was indeed a good location. It is indeed a large lake, approximately 3 km x 5 km and the Dawa government has just this year started several large parks themed around "Beautiful Dawa". There is a large brand new park area at the entrance to the lake access with a large raised wooden viewing platform, I assume for cranes in season. The lake itself is rather mercifully undeveloped so far with just a lane and a half wide dirt track around the rim bounded with a nicely done 1 -1.5 meter high old stone wall between the lake and the track. The village clustered at the edge of the lake has a half dozen or so little eating establishments on the edge of the lake and there are a small number of families with small ponds raising crabs and fish. Overall good right now due to not being crowded and being relatively undeveloped.

We fought the gale force winds and smoke from burning off agricultural fields so bad you couldn't see the other side of the lake and walked about 750 meters or so down one side before we started losing the light and the son had to leave to pick up out daughter. The gulls were mostly around the eating joints at the entrance and the ducks Scoters and Pochards went out of sight on the lake. I only counted what we actually saw but I am sure there were many times that many on the lake. Most were just resting with many asleep unbothered by the whitecaps on the lake.

Even the wife got excited enough to immediately announce we were coming back soon and this time she was bringing the binoculars that she had refused to carry and left behind.

(200) Paser montanus - Eurasian Tree Sparrow

(3) Pica pica - Common Magpie

(30) Larus argentaus - Herring Gull

(12) Chroicoephalus ridibundus - Black-headed Gull

(100) Aythya ferina - Common Pochard

(300) Melanitta americania - Black Scoter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	537787  Click image for larger version