• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture about Leica 3D and Plasticity. (1 Viewer)

GLOBETROTTER

This is a perfect sample about the Leica 3D and plasticity.

Leica M9 and Leica APO Summicron 90mm ASPH.

And this is what i can see with the NV and there is no other binocular who makes it.

Just only my Zeiss Oberkochen 10x50 have it.

The picture is mine so fell free to download and check it.

Attachments

• Fotos-no-caballero-OD.jpg
    Fotos-no-caballero-OD.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 285
Sorry, but I think this has not much to do with "plasticity" or 3D - the main object in the picture is sharp, everything around is blurred, so that puts the "focus" (i.e. the attention) of the observer on to the main object. One of the automatic programs in my Nikon Coolpix P900 produces exactly that effect, looks "cool" indeed. But 3D? I think not.
If this is what the Noctivid is supposed to show, then off-axis sharpness would clearly leave a lot to be desired.

Sorry, but I think this has not much to do with "plasticity" or 3D - the main object in the picture is sharp, everything around is blurred, so that puts the "focus" (i.e. the attention) of the observer on to the main object. One of the automatic programs in my Nikon Coolpix P900 produces exactly that effect, looks "cool" indeed. But 3D? I think not.
If this is what the Noctivid is supposed to show, then off-axis sharpness would clearly leave a lot to be desired.

So sorry !!!!

I should post this on a photo forum.

If nobody see it i dont know why Leica is making 3600 euros 90mm camera lenses like the APO Summicron or 22000 euros lenses for Cinema camera lenses.

I find it interesting to close one eye and look at the picture monocularly. To me it becomes much more vivid three-dimensionally. The reason, I believe, is that the brain doesn't have to deal with a lack of retinal disparity and can rely on monocular cues.

Everyone may not perceive it as I do, but I've learned to enjoy looking a pictures this way.

Ed

PS. Apparently the adjective "plastisch" in German means vivid.

Last edited:
Yes. The Leica distinction is there, and if that has been reproduced in the Noctivid that is remarkable.

Yes. The Leica distinction is there, and if that has been reproduced in the Noctivid that is remarkable.

I am very glad that someone else has seen this effect.

It does not make sense for leica to play its reputation by lying to the customer about something that is not true.

Cooke cinema movie taking lenses have it, probably more than Leica cinema lenses. At least in the recent past.
Maybe Leica have now copied the Cooke look, which has been going strong since the 1930s?

Cooke recently won an Oscar for their cinema lenses.

I find it interesting to close one eye and look at the picture monocularly. To me it becomes much more vivid three-dimensionally. The reason, I believe, is that the brain doesn't have to deal with a lack of retinal disparity and can rely on monocular cues.

Everyone may not perceive it as I do, but I've learned to enjoy looking a pictures this way.

Ed

PS. Apparently the adjective "plastisch" in German means vivid.

Ed

I notice this 3 dimensionsal effect when I close my right eye. My left eye is slightly far sighted 20/15. But not so much with my right eye which is slightly near sighted 20/25.

Bob

That's a nice image (maybe a little enhanced compared to what I see with the naked eye), if everything has that appearance through the Noctivid then I see why you like them.

This is a perfect sample about the Leica 3D and plasticity.

Leica M9 and Leica APO Summicron 90mm ASPH.

And this is what i can see with the NV and there is no other binocular who makes it.

Just only my Zeiss Oberkochen 10x50 have it.

The picture is mine so fell free to download and check it.

GB,

Very fine capture! Perfect subject focus and exposure with a soft and pleasing out-of-focus background depth (nice bokeh). Although not any foreground to evaluate, this image view is what a great SLR wide aperture lens (small f-stop) can do in creating a shallow DOF, enhancing 3D depth (OOF foreground & background). Not to confuse the issue, but "I" also see this same visual effect with my Canon 10x42L (porro II)...very soft foreground\background with superb detailed subject resolution! If you\other users see this in the roof prism NV all the time, subjectively it can be very pleasing and adds definition and recognition of spacial cues that effect dimensional clarity of the subject!!

Unfortunately, shallow DOF optics doesn't seem to always be a desirable trait when wanting to scan the scene for static or moving wildlife. In the case of the 10x42L, I consider the overall focus speed "very slow" (2.75 turns). Not sure the speed of the NV, but if it lies around 1 to 1.5 turns for CF to infinity, then this still would be a very effective and enjoyable optic instrument out in the field. :t:

Ted

Don't you use spectacles?

Ed

I used to but I had cataract surgery on both eyes in the 90's. My non-dominant left eye was corrected first and it ended up 20/15. It had been 20/40.

A few years later my dominant eye was fixed. It had been about 20/65. The Doctor tried to fix it so I could read with it without wearing glasses and put in a lens that made it 20/25. That wasn't quite enough so I wear reading glasses with a 1.25 diopter and that works fine for me and if I sit back far enough I can use my computer without using the reading glasses.

I have had eye exams every spring since then and nothing has changed.

Here is a curious thing. After my left eye got fixed I found I was using it by itself. I would shut my right eye to see things farther away as my right eye got worse from the cataract it had. I usually did this when I saw a pretty girl walking at some distance away from me!;)

As a result I ended up with a muscle imbalance which affected my eyes if I looked at things at a distance after the cataract was fixed in my right eye. Especially when I tilted my head up. It was almost like my eyes were out of collimation!

After a while my eyesight returned to normal.

I don't wear glasses now for normal vision or with binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite a story. I use trifocals all the time, for normal viewing and with binoculars. Most people wouldn't think twice about closing one eye to induce greater depth perception in photographs. Counterintuitive I guess, — but it stood out for me in the OP's picture.

Ed

GB,

Unfortunately, shallow DOF optics doesn't seem to always be a desirable trait when wanting to scan the scene for static or moving wildlife. In the case of the 10x42L, I consider the overall focus speed "very slow" (2.75 turns).
Ted

There are occasions where the slow focus and shallow DoF of the Canon 10x42L is beneficial. It really helps when trying to look at a bird in the branches or skulking in the underbrush. The focus zone can be walked through that space so that the bird comes into sharp detail while the intervening obstacles fade.

Sorry, but I think this has not much to do with "plasticity" or 3D - the main object in the picture is sharp, everything around is blurred, so that puts the "focus" (i.e. the attention) of the observer on to the main object.

All of that is true Canip but it is not the full story, at least for my eyes, because just looking at the man's face I can see a strong 3D effect. His head definitely has a back and a front and his ear is further away than his nose. None of this is connected with the out of focus background which, as you say, is just a function of a wide aperture and small depth of field.

And I can still remember looking through the Nvids at Bird Fair and immediately noticing a separation, a distance, between the 3 islets in the lake outside that were in a line, one behind the other.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back