View Single Post
Old Thursday 9th November 2017, 01:04   #479
Owen Krout

Nov-8, 2017

A nice outing yesterday, but cut short when I was recalled by my wife who couldn't find her keys to get back in the apartment. Of course she found them in one of pockets inside a pocket just as I arrived back home.

The main attraction was the two flocks of 20+ each Azure-winged Magpie. They are always abundant here, but that is the largest grouping I have seen yet. They were initially close enough together to have a few individuals exchanging back and forth. One group decided I was an interesting distraction and started following along noisily alerting any and all to my presence.

A general presence of Coal Tit, Japanese Tit and Yellow-bellied Tit was scattered all through the park that I was in.

The habit of scanning the Sparrow flocks with the bins turned up a few isolated Brambling foraging with them. Somewhat unusual in that they normally appear in large flocks.

Hoopoe seem to be recovering well from the population drop precipitated by the harsh winter last season. This year is the opposite so far with it staying more like early October.

I got a mild scolding last night when I mistakenly forgot the rule on the Gallery forum was three uploads in one day and since it rolled over midnight, I thought it reset the counter for me. Actually three in 24 hours and for an international forum it doesn't even make sense for me to think that it would matter that it was midnight for me. Does anybody really know what time it is?

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Nov 8, 2017 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 kilometer(s)
10 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 40 Two large flocks of 20+ separated by aprox. 0.5 kilometers
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) 5
Yellow-bellied Tit (Periparus venustulus) 10
Japanese Tit (Parus minor) 10
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 5
Pallas's Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus) 1
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 30

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40373556
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Azure-winged Magpie.jpg
Views:	6