View Single Post
Old Monday 5th February 2018, 21:29   #6
Alexis Powell

The "difficult" situation I face most routinely is getting on birds quickly when given only a fleeting opportunity, such as sparrows flitting through grass, shrubs, and weeds, only popping into view momentarily, or warblers doing the same in forest or shrubland (especially in fall). I like a bin with easy eye placement, fast precise focus, wide FOV, and sharp field edge to edge. My favorite birding bins (e.g. Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV) handle this sort of situation very well.

In this land of wide open spaces, many backlighting problems (e.g. shorebirds, ducks on water, raptors in silhouette) are more an issue for scopes than bins, because these birds are often seen scanning with a scope, or going from bins to a scope (which is often possible) is a good first step to trying to deal with backlight.

The most annoying problem that I face is seeing birds in forest canopy when there are many small breaks in the canopy (bright spots of light in the view) coupled with rain or extremely hot and high humidity conditions. In these cases it always seems that my eyeglasses and bins are fogging and that everything is lurking in the dark with a veil of back-lit fog between it and me. In those situations, I prefer a bin with a big exit pupil and water repellent lens coatings (e.g. Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV, but maybe I need a Noctivid for its putatively superior contrast and ability to tame stray light! :)

A third problem I have for bins in day to day birding is combining birding with butterflying. For that, I need a close focus bin that has quick but precise focus. For that, I use Zeiss 8x32 FL.

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Monday 5th February 2018 at 21:43.