• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (3 Viewers)

timeshadowed said:
Has there ever been any other bird/mammal/fish that its very existance has been so controversial as that of the IBWO?

Mermaids.

Err, I guess Tasmanian tiger's a bit of a talking point and giant giant squid.

colonelboris said:
Mermaids.

Err, I guess Tasmanian tiger's a bit of a talking point and giant giant squid.

This is true, but there were always bodies of giant squids. I've seen a preserved one--but it wasn't until recently that anyone actually caught a giant giant squid on film.

I don't know anything about the Tasmanian tiger, and I can't think of anything else that controversial (that actually is known to have existed). Talking with a friend, there are some Xiphiod whales that are poorly documented but nothing else like the IBWO. Basically, IF it still exists, it would have to have gone from being really rare and extremely localized (but you could see it, photograph it, record it, follow it--once you finally found one) to being the most elusive vertebrate on the planet. Even more elusive that deep-sea fishes, possibly even more elusive that Rowlett's Owlet.

Posted by timeshadowed
post #5242

Has there ever been any other bird/mammal/fish that its very existance has been so controversial as that of the IBWO?
-------
I think the same thing has gone on/is going on regarding the Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf. There are recent mentions of sightings, good descriptions, even down to eye glow color and exact number of stripes seen on a reputed male individual. Just no live/dead animal in hand.

This animals recent history seems to have many parallels with the Ivory-bill.

colonelboris said:
Wouldn't a search for feathers be useful? I know you don't see them as often as the bird is reported (unattached ones, that is...) but they have the added advantage of not flying away. I guess if someone collected a bag and sent it Cornell, they could check the DNA and compare it against the results mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

I fear that the situation has deteriorated so much that a DNA match on a feather would only invite insinuations of plain fraud. It would not be difficult to point out that many searchers are 'well-known to have been handling IBWO skins' perhaps at 'local or regional museums with notoriously poor security'.
Use lots of '...' to avoid actually saying anything actually libellous.

Hey, this stuff is really easy and I didn't even have to get my feet muddy!

kyanite said:
I fear that the situation has deteriorated so much that a DNA match on a feather would only invite insinuations of plain fraud. It would not be difficult to point out that many searchers are 'well-known to have been handling IBWO skins' perhaps at 'local or regional museums with notoriously poor security'.
You are absolutely correct that "the situation has deteriorated." This is becoming one of the most shameful episodes in the history of science. I have never before witnessed a situation in which scientists are afraid to even discuss data. How did things deteriorate to such a degree? Who is responsible for this mess and what are their motives? After Cornell's announcement last year, I naively thought the controversy was over and it was time to get out in the field and find other populations of this species. Boy was I wrong.

London Birder said:
I know, I should've known Tim .. probably a case of 'can't see the wood for the trees'.

A consequnce of putting my Dr. John CD into a Billy Ray Cyrus sleeve by mistake .. God help me

Dr. John.. as in Mac Rebennac..... also an alum of Jesuit HS in N.O.

Tim Allwood said:
blimey Des

schoolboy error

everyone knows it's Cajuns in the swamps and Rednecks in the 'deep' south. Though doubtless some cajuns are also rednecks...

I'll get me banjo

Tim

hardly... one cannot be a cajun... and a red neck.... also.. most cajuns... live nowhere near a swamp.. never have, never will and never did.... the cajuns.. as the Nova Scotian exiles were later called were acadians, a mix of french and german settlers that came to south louisiana in a mass migration rather than swearing allegiance to england..... they settled in an area roughly bound by just southwest of N.O. to near lake charles, LA bound on the north by Baton Rouge and Alexandria..... the word cajun.. is relaxed anglican for acadian.......nearly all of the acadians established small farming and fishing communities in coastal and coastal prairies of la. very few.. settled in the swamps... as farming in the swamps.. .. is well.... impossible.. also living in swamps.. well... uh.... except for the winter.. was virtually impossible....

a very poor 1970s movie... southern comfort.... painted a grossly wrong picture of cajuns and south la. but... what do you expect from hollywood... one thing the movie did get right was the intensely anti federal attitude most cajuns have(myself included)... by and large... rednecks and cajuns.. don't get along too well..... cajuns... are mostly catholic.... and drink on sundays... rednecks.. well.... you know the story....

Peregrinator said:
Hi Trout,
I guess when you say, "I AM those needy areas.", you are refering to MacGillivray's Trout? I've never heard of that fish, I suppose it's endangered? If it makes you feel better, I think the funds for IB habitat have not been "stolen" from other areas that need help. I found this info while I was in AR:

1986--The Cache River National Wildlife Refuge is established when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service purchases 1,395 acres of land from The Nature Conservancy with $646,000 in Federal Duck Stamp* funding. The refuge was established by legislation supported by Senators Dale Bumpers and David Pryor.
------
* The Duck Stamp

.....One key acquisition program is the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp program, commonly known as "Duck Stamp". This $15.00 stamp is one of the most successful conservation programs in the country, investing 98 per cent of funds generated into land conservation. While all waterfowl hunters age 16 and older are required to purchase and carry Duck Stamps, anyone can purchase one to invest in conservation.
------

1992--A massive land exchange of 41,000 acres is orchestrated by the Nature Conservancy, Senator Bumpers, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Land Management and the Potlatch Corporation (which owned the land) to create a protected corridor connecting the Cache River Natonal Wildlife Refuge with the White River NWR. The land exchange, valued at more than $20 million, is accomplished at virtually no cost to the taxpayer.

No, not all animals win everywhere, but the denizens of these two Wildlife Refuges are getting some help.

hmm I wonder how many "birders" purchase duck stamps.......

As previously posted, “I have lost the thread of this thread”. This is my understanding of where things stand on the IBW.

The most recent ABA checklist lists IBW as a Code 6 Bird:

Code-6: Cannot be found.
The species is probably or actually extinct or extirpated from the ABA Checklist Area, or all survivors are held in captivity (or releases are not yet naturally re-established)

The following birds are also listed as Code 6 (list may not be complete):

Thick-billed Parrot Rhynchopsitta pachyrhyncha
Slender-billed Curlew Numenius tenuirostris
Eskimo Curlew Numenius borealis
California Condor Gymnogyps californianus
Labrador Duck Camptorhynchus labradorius
Great Auk Pinguinus impennis
Passenger Pigeon Ectopistes migratorius
Carolina Parakeet Conuropsis carolinensis
Ivory-billed Woodpecker Campephilus principalis
Bachman’s Warbler Vermivora bachmanii

I am not sure of the status of the first 4 listed species, I suspect that they are either highly endangered or in the case of the Condor, not yet naturally re-established. The remaining species are extinct.

An article in the Journal “Science” provided evidence that the IBW had been relocated. The findings of this Article was disputed in a subsequent articles in “Science” and in “AUK”. There has be a rebuttal, but no additional evidence was published in this rebuttal. There have been additional searches for the IBW, but as yet no additional evidence has been published.

choupique1 said:
hmm I wonder how many "birders" purchase duck stamps.......

This is crude, but let's assume that there are three groups of people that buy duck stamps

1: Waterfowl hunters
2: Stamp Collectors
3: Birders / other non-waterfowl hunting natue recreationists

In Louisiana for example there were an estimated 65,000 +/- 9% duck hunters:
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/programs/waterfowl/2005 USFWS Harvest Survey.pdf

and 96,115 duck stamp sales.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/programs/waterfowl/2005 USFWS Harvest Survey.pdf

so in Louisina anyway about 30,000 people bought duck stamps that did not hunt that year.

Birder's do buy duck stamps to gain entry to the National Wildlife Refuges, and are actively encouraged to buy them in forums such as BIRDCHAT or by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. I couldn't find any study that looked at the breakdown of duck stamp buyers by 'reason for purchasing'.

There has been talk for years about creating a bird conservation stamp, but it hasn't taken off, nor has a Pittman-Robertson type tax on birdseed, feeders, binocs, etc. Both would be a great idea to generate funds for land purchase. It's going SO fast these days. Development is insane almost everywhere in the US.

kyanite said:
Use lots of '...' to avoid actually saying anything actually libellous.

Hey, this stuff is really easy and I didn't even have to get my feet muddy!

You don't have to get your feet muddy at all. But, you point out the obvious. A feather was sent to the Smithsonian previously late 60's early 70's. It was a match for an IBWO.

Suddenly comments came out that a study specimen was missing the exact wing feather in a Florida museum. The feather came from Flordia. Well, now, no one said "fraud" but then no one credits these guys with finding and observing the bird.

I have handled study skins with almost no security at all. In fact I was just left to them and a pile o pileateds. There should be no need for security. Until someone proves a thief I am rather loath to call someone the same.

For others that is their starting point.

Jesse

IBWO_Agnostic said:
This is crude, but let's assume that there are three groups of people that buy duck stamps

1: Waterfowl hunters
2: Stamp Collectors
3: Birders / other non-waterfowl hunting natue recreationists

In Louisiana for example there were an estimated 65,000 +/- 9% duck hunters:

and 96,115 duck stamp sales.

so in Louisina anyway about 30,000 people bought duck stamps that did not hunt that year.

Birder's do buy duck stamps to gain entry to the National Wildlife Refuges, and are actively encouraged to buy them in forums such as BIRDCHAT or by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. I couldn't find any study that looked at the breakdown of duck stamp buyers by 'reason for purchasing'.

There has been talk for years about creating a bird conservation stamp, but it hasn't taken off, nor has a Pittman-Robertson type tax on birdseed, feeders, binocs, etc. Both would be a great idea to generate funds for land purchase. It's going SO fast these days. Development is insane almost everywhere in the US.

the La hunter numbers reflect resident hunters only... LA gets about 25 k nonresident hunters each year..... many of them buy stamps here..... of the 200 or so non residents hunting with us last year... 180 got their stamps from ME... ie.. they did not hunt in their home state..

choupique1 said:
the La hunter numbers reflect resident hunters only... LA gets about 25 k nonresident hunters each year..... many of them buy stamps here..... of the 200 or so non residents hunting with us last year... 180 got their stamps from ME... ie.. they did not hunt in their home state..
As a non-hunter, I didn't even know about this stamp. I would buy it for conservation purposes. IBWO-Agn--, it's too bad the conservation stamp didn't go. Maybe what it needs is a bit of marketing. That way, those who have their own take on conservation issues would be more likely to contribute. I can't agree on the tax thing. People buying seed and bins shouldn't get 'sin' tax. They're probably helping conservation by their love of birds alone; passion is infectious. Park fees, licenses and the like seem a little fairer.
A little more on the stamps:
Since it's inception in 1934, the sale of Federal Duck Stamps has generated more than $670 million, resulting in the purchase or lease of over 5.2 million acres of waterfwol habitat in the U.S. In fact, more than 44,00 acres at Cache River Wildlife Refuge were purchased using Federal Duck Stamp funding.

Pretty good returns.

I didn't intend to open a can of worms when I wrote about the stamp. (Hayzeus Christo, now the fishermen/non-fisherman debate may begin!). Please don't let this thread disintegrate even farther than it already has with the hunter/non-hunter BS. We've been there, done that. I brought up the Stamp thing because it has bearing on the protection of the IB (or non-exsistent IB)environment.

Richard D said:
Sasquatch Yeti? ;)

This does not qualify as an answer to my question because this is not a species that has been proven to exist in the past. No one doubts that at one time IBWO's were a living bird.

Last edited:
cinclodes said:
You are absolutely correct that "the situation has deteriorated." This is becoming one of the most shameful episodes in the history of science. I have never before witnessed a situation in which scientists are afraid to even discuss data. How did things deteriorate to such a degree? Who is responsible for this mess and what are their motives? After Cornell's announcement last year, I naively thought the controversy was over and it was time to get out in the field and find other populations of this species. Boy was I wrong.

Many of the first-order features of the initial presentation carried troubling parallels to well-known scientific debacles. Science by news conference has not a particularly good history, marked by Fleischmann-Pons' cold fusion and the infamous NASA Martian meteorite episode. It may well be necessary to hold a news conference to get out ahead of a major story that is about to leak, but in the scientific community there will be instant suspicion. I'm sure the Cornell story carries some of these associations.

Perhaps Cornell went this route with the reasonable expectation that the Killer Photo was imminent and any questions would soon be moot. At that time they had a fair number of good sightings and an idea that those birds were breeding locally, so good field ornithology should quickly lead to photo ops at roost or nest holes.

As the sightings declined rather than increased, undue attention fell on the Luneau video which, (like yours, but maybe not your new unreleased material?) has only enough resolution to be highly suggestive but not conclusive of IBWO. After having been questioned publicly by household names such as Sibley, the Luneau video now carries a certain flavor shared by fetishes of the tinfoil crowd such as the Zapruder film or even the Bigfoot movie. People get very nervous when the zealots fight pixel wars.

With such associations, and a sorry history of other IBWO claims, many minds will be closed to anything less than incontrovertible proof.

But sometimes I wonder if an additional source of resistance may be in the status of IBWO as a iconic failure of wildlife conservation. Could it be that many who were raised on this sad tale are unwilling to consider that the species may have survived after all?

kyanite said:
As the sightings declined rather than increased, undue attention fell on the Luneau video which, (like yours, but maybe not your new unreleased material?) has only enough resolution to be highly suggestive but not conclusive of IBWO.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your statement that the IBWO sitings are decreasing. They are decreasing where Cornell is at, perhaps somewhat, but frankly, what I see is an increase in sitings. No less than 4 people, and maybe as many as 6 have seen the bird within one approx. 10 mile area in the last year.

This is not accurate, either, unforunatley, because no one has had the intelligence over the last 60 years or so to record sitings of IBW unless they were made by Dennis or someone of that level. Thereupon, even those were promptly discarded. Simply put, to state an increase or a decrease we have to have a baseline. We don't have a baseline because the ornithological experts have simply out of hand rejected any sitings at all. Some sitings are more famous then others, and some were published. But they all were evidently rejected for no apparent intelligent reason.

For my daughter :flyaway:

Jesse

choupique1 said:
hardly... one cannot be a cajun... and a red neck.... also.. rednecks and cajuns.. don't get along too well........rednecks.. well.... you know the story....

Thanks for that most informative post. Shows you what I know. I just thought anybody was a redneck who puts on insect repellant before going to bed (like me).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back