• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (2 Viewers)

Mark

to be fair to Mr Lewis, the experience of Mr Hicks isn't what we would all call 'first rate'. Mr Lewis is perhaps used to a very widely travelled subset of British Birders (some of whom are, IMHO, exceptional field birders, some i would call first-rate) used to looking for, AND finding, some of the world's rarest birds.

PLease don't jump on me - I'm just trying to point out what some might say. I'm sure Mr Lewis can speak for himself... I'm happy to wait for the birds to be refound and 'proof' be provided...

Tim

I won't jump all over you, and I won't quibble over the whether Hicks is or is not "first-rate". He's clearly very experienced and knowledgeable. I just pulled one example to illustrate.

That said, the use of the title of an article published some five years ago to insinuate something is quite the cheap shot and does nothing to advance the discussion.

I'm very glad you're encouraged and are keeping an open mind.

Tim Allwood said:
Mark

to be fair to Mr Lewis, the experience of Mr Hicks isn't what we would all call 'first rate'. Mr Lewis is perhaps used to a very widely travelled subset of British Birders (some of whom are, IMHO, exceptional field birders, some i would call first-rate) used to looking for, AND finding, some of the world's rarest birds.

PLease don't jump on me - I'm just trying to point out what some might say. I'm sure Mr Lewis can speak for himself... I'm happy to wait for the birds to be refound and 'proof' be provided...

Tim

MMinNY said:
I won't jump all over you, and I won't quibble over the whether Hicks is or is not "first-rate". He's clearly very experienced and knowledgeable. I just pulled one example to illustrate.

That said, the use of the title of an article published some five years ago to insinuate something is quite the cheap shot and does nothing to advance the discussion.

I'm very glad you're encouraged and are keeping an open mind.
Lighten up.

Florida IBWO

In the backyard of Jerry Jackson? Most likely, probably a reason why Dr. J. moved to Florida. However if there are IBWO's in Florida then he knows about them. Question to the forum,you guys, if Dr. J. is not the current leading authority on IBWO then who is? And why not consult Dr. J. prior to and post to evidence of an IBWO in Florida?

Goatnose said:
In the backyard of Jerry Jackson? Most likely, probably a reason why Dr. J. moved to Florida. However if there are IBWO's in Florida then he knows about them. Question to the forum,you guys, if Dr. J. is not the current leading authority on IBWO then who is? And why not consult Dr. J. prior to and post to evidence of an IBWO in Florida?

Dr. Jackson HAS seen the evidence and been consulted, and a secondary source has implied to me that Jackson finds the evidence compelling, but in fairness Jerry would need to speak for himself on that matter.

cyberthrush said:
Dr. Jackson HAS seen the evidence and been consulted, and a secondary source has implied to me that Jackson finds the evidence compelling, but in fairness Jerry would need to speak for himself on that matter.

Hmmm, Jerry finding the IBWO in Florida would basically be the equivalent of John Elway winning the superbowl. I'm sure he's on it.

Snowy1 said:
Hmmm, Jerry finding the IBWO in Florida would basically be the equivalent of John Elway winning the superbowl. I'm sure he's on it.
OK joke. What does John Elway and O.J Simpson have in common. "Slow White Bronco"
Thanks Cyber for your response, just thought it was not neighborly to be in someone's back yard without at least introducing yourself. Jerry will support and encourage their efforts.

Goatnose said:

Oh Lord God, the IBWO is in huge trouble if all evidence in FL needs the rubber stamp of Mr. Faith Based.

and yes they almost literally live in his backyard and can he document them?

Tim Allwood said:
If these people can get a few quality observers in there, I expect the birds will get located, and dare i say it, photographed?
What is your definition of a quality observer? By finding those birds in Florida, Geoff Hill and Co. have proved that they are quality observers by my definition, which is based on results. If anyone thinks they're better, let's see them go find ivorybills in a new location. I can even suggest one. The Pearl north of I-59. The habitat is good all the way up to Bogalusa. Since there have been ivorybills in the Pearl for many years, there must surely be at least another pair or two up there.

I have to say I was impressed by the amount of "unprocessed" information and imagery Dr. Hill provided, and it sounded like Dr. Mennill will post a great deal as well. Much as I respect and admire the CLO I think they would do well to follow the example. Searchers need data, not just others' inferences.

fangsheath said:
I have to say I was impressed by the amount of "unprocessed" information and imagery Dr. Hill provided, and it sounded like Dr. Mennill will post a great deal as well. Much as I respect and admire the CLO I think they would do well to follow the example. Searchers need data, not just others' inferences.
I met Geoff last week. Many scientists are game-playing BS artists. Not Geoff. He's first rate. It's great to see another researcher working independently on this problem. I hope there will be others. Considering all the biology departments there are in this country, you would think a few more of them would get involved. It's high risk, but what the heck. Pick a site that looks promising and send a grad student there for a month during the prime searching season. At the very least, it would be good field experience.

Very nice story in the Anniston Star:
http://www.annistonstar.com/opinion/2006/as-columns-0925-jflemingcol-6i25u1829.htm

Another story in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/26/science/26bird.html?_r=2&ex=1316923200&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The research article itself should be posted here sometime today (in the online journal Avian Ecology and Conservation) and will apparently be available as a free pdf download:
http://www.ace-eco.org/

Incidentally, the first issue of the journal carried an article on IBWO that I had not seen before:
http://www.ace-eco.org/vol1/iss1/

Last edited:
Another site in Arkansas?

Here's a new story just out that makes the comment:

"The Cornell Lab of Ornithology team is also excited about pending news on ivory-billed woodpeckers in an area different from Arkansas, found by another group of researchers. At the time of publication, the exact details of this news were under embargo."

I imagine the author was mistaken about the location and assume it was Florida instead.

http://www.cornellsun.com/node/18563

Oops...my bad...I misread the phrase with blurry late-night eyes...not another site in Arkansas.

Last edited:
The site is now back up here.

This appears to be Dan Mennill's site. Can't find any reference to field notes of the sightings. Mainly audio. There are links to a Geoff Hill site, which doesn't appear to be up yet.

Last edited:
Trying to catch up fast. Has Tommy Boy taken this down, I can't access it?

Sidewinder said:
emupilot wrote: "though I'm sure Tom Nelson types will assert this is just part of a massive conspiracy of fraud."

Although Tom Nelson believes fervently (inexplicably) that weapons of mass destruction were present in Iraq (http://tomnelson.blogspot.com/2006/07/figment-of-someones-imagination.html), he has little choice but to claim this is continued fraud by professional ornithologists. He possesses powers of discernment that many of us (including UN inspectors) clearly lack. He and his cronies (like Amy Lester) will no doubt enjoy all of this for months to come. However...there is clearly a mixed reaction from commentors at his website today.

cinclodes said:
What is your definition of a quality observer? By finding those birds in Florida, Geoff Hill and Co. have proved that they are quality observers by my definition, which is based on results. If anyone thinks they're better, let's see them go find ivorybills in a new location. I can even suggest one. The Pearl north of I-59. The habitat is good all the way up to Bogalusa. Since there have been ivorybills in the Pearl for many years, there must surely be at least another pair or two up there.

Are you speaking to me now?

Quality observer? You know my opinion, and that of many others on here.

I'm sure Mr Hill is delighted to have your support. Reassures me to know you're working together

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back