• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

Jane Turner said:
i can't see the video.. any chance of a still or two?

You're not missing much, Jane!

Can't be arsed to do the play and pause thing any more, but these are about as good as it gets. As clear as you'd expect ;)

ce

Attachments

• Still1 copy.jpg
    Still1 copy.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Still2.jpg
    Still2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 223
fangsheath said:
If many of these were car horns I would not expect to see a peak in mid-morning. I would expect a lot of hits in early morning and around noonish. That is not to say that some of them may not be mechanical sounds. I would expect very distant sounds to be picked up by multiple recorders. However, as I have indicated, one device may have been positioned so as to pick up rather distant sounds from a particular direction that were missed by others. It is impossible to know without knowing the geometry.

This part of the discussion reminds me of the importance of keeping open to alternative explanations when using remote data collection systems. There was a brief time on the condor recovery program when we had several towers up with circular arrays of directional antennas which were supposed to be able to triangulate on flying birds. We got very faint clusters of signals from Bakersfield every weekday morning and late afternoon, which we couldn't ever re-locate from the tracking airplane. Turned out a lot of garage-door openers there were on the same freqency as the condors.

Last edited:
IBWO_Agnostic said:
Green Heron

hello? HELLO? :hi: :-O :-O

Much as these films are pure genius, I don't think Amy and Tom were expecting them to get the Cornell-level analysis. The Ivory-bill is at the end, drinking Bud threateningly and belching.

Attachments

• rippy.jpg
    rippy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 200
Fang

In going back and paying more attention to the video "Birds of the River", I think I have to agree with you that my first impression was wrong. The small bird that comes off the branch over the water does look to me like a green heron, the wings appear to briefly show some light areas to me, but I think that may just be sunlight reflecting on wing edges.

Just before the second GBH flies, there is another bird that flies by in the background, I cannot even begin to make out what it may be.
Steve

Sorry to have been so slow to get there!

Perhaps naked eye sightings from wobbly kayaks should be subjected to extra scrutinty then! Perhaps this is why the sightings are never of birds clinging to trees!

choupique1 said:
Jane.. I have stated many times publicly and privately for years that an IBWO looks more like a hooded merganser in flight than any other bird.

Would that be a male or female Hooded?

Inquiring minds want to know. Wait, is that a female Hooded Merganser you just slapped down on my duck-check table, or an Ivory-billed Woodpecker?

Yep, officer. He's the one. Cuff him now!

Good work, Barney!

Back to IBWO updates, here are interesting comments from Laura Erickson on today's talk at the Veracruz, Mexico, meetings (http://www.birderblog.com/):

There was standing room only for Geoff Hill and Dan Mennill's presentation of their Ivory-billed Woodpecker sighting information, and we were in a big hall at the North American Ornithological Conference. Geoff Hill is quiet spoken, and clearly not only anticipated but shared the skeptical view that the Florida sightings require PROOF. But he also made a very compelling case, citing his own sightings as well as those of Tyler Hicks, described by Dr. Hill as a superior birder who also is consulted as a birding guide. He made it clear that proof with an indisputable photograph or video is desperately needed, and discussed his plans for the 2006-7 research season. Dan Mennill discussed the sound recording techniques and how the sounds were analyzed, and after the talk discussed with a few of us how they'll be geared up to have a 24-hour turnaround on sound analysis, so if a double knock is heard in the vicinity of a certain cavity, researchers can be there the very next day to set up a remote camera. The search will be far more sophisticated this coming season, and I'm hopeful that they'll succeed in their primary goal, getting this proof. Their presentations didn't provide any information that wasn't in their previously published work. But it was very worthwhile to listen to these researchers in person to see just how honest, thoughtful, and genuinely skeptical they, too, are, and how they don't expect people to simply take their word for this. It was amusing hearing the disparaging remarks several people, including well-known skeptics, were making about a "Minnesota blogger"--fortunately they said "he" wasn't me they were talking about!

I was not surprised to learn how (at least some) professional ornithologists view Tom Nelson.

Last edited:
Laura Erickson also wrote this regarding Jerome Jackson's reaction to the talk (http://www.birderblog.com/):

I ran into Jerome Jackson at tonight's poster session. As when I met him last year in Santa Barbara, I was struck by his warmth and genuine passion for woodpeckers. We talked about today's presentation. Dr. Jackson said he liked it a lot because it struck exactly the right tone. There was no suggestion by either Dr. Hill or Dr. Mennill that there was any "proof" that Ivory-bills are out there. They presented what they saw, heard, and analyzed in a straightforward way, but don't expect people to accept their account on faith, so they are working hard to set up the next season's field work to get verifiable photos. Their focus on habitat protection is crucial, and as Dr. Jackson noted with regard to the issue of habitat protection, it's important to keep the emphasis on all the components of the habitat, not just Ivory-bills. Geoff Hill joined us for a bit, too. He's very nice and modest about this work, and probably a bit disconcerted because his wonderful books were released this year, and suddenly all the focus is on his Ivory-bill work rather than the great stuff he accomplished with Bird Coloration Volume I, Mechanisms and Measurements and Bird Coloration [and] Volume 2--Function and Evolution.

I don't suppose we'll see this posted at the skeptics' blog, where Nelson claims (through today, at least) that Jerome Jackson endorses his site. I can't help but wonder whether Dr. Jackson would continue to condone the escalating hate talk there. I imagine he's completely unaware that his name is so prominently featured at the site.

Last edited:
Hi Sidewinder - you're obviously a keen reader of Tom Nelson's blog - thanks for kepping us up to date on its content.

Cheers,

Sidewinder said:
I don't suppose we'll see this posted at the skeptics' blog, where Nelson claims (through today, at least) that Jerome Jackson endorses his site. I can't help but wonder whether Dr. Jackson would continue to condone the escalating hate talk there. I imagine he's completely unaware that his name is so prominently featured at the site.

P.S. there is certainly a report about the Hill/Mennill presentation there, not sure about Jackson

Sidewinder said:
Back to IBWO updates, here are interesting comments from Laura Erickson on today's talk at the Veracruz, Mexico, meetings (http://www.birderblog.com/):

There was standing room only for Geoff Hill and Dan Mennill's presentation of their Ivory-billed Woodpecker sighting information, and we were in a big hall at the North American Ornithological Conference. Geoff Hill is quiet spoken, and clearly not only anticipated but shared the skeptical view that the Florida sightings require PROOF. But he also made a very compelling case, citing his own sightings as well as those of Tyler Hicks, described by Dr. Hill as a superior birder who also is consulted as a birding guide. He made it clear that proof with an indisputable photograph or video is desperately needed, and discussed his plans for the 2006-7 research season. Dan Mennill discussed the sound recording techniques and how the sounds were analyzed, and after the talk discussed with a few of us how they'll be geared up to have a 24-hour turnaround on sound analysis, so if a double knock is heard in the vicinity of a certain cavity, researchers can be there the very next day to set up a remote camera. The search will be far more sophisticated this coming season, and I'm hopeful that they'll succeed in their primary goal, getting this proof. Their presentations didn't provide any information that wasn't in their previously published work. But it was very worthwhile to listen to these researchers in person to see just how honest, thoughtful, and genuinely skeptical they, too, are, and how they don't expect people to simply take their word for this. It was amusing hearing the disparaging remarks several people, including well-known skeptics, were making about a "Minnesota blogger"--fortunately they said "he" wasn't me they were talking about!

I was not surprised to learn how (at least some) professional ornithologists view Tom Nelson.

So which ones? Nelson has a list of public skeptics. Maybe you could enlighten us on the ones that don't buy it.

Veracruz

From what I can gather, Laura Erickson and piltdownwoman are both at the conference in Veracruz. From what I've seen here and at the blog whose name shall not be mentioned on penalty of banishment, it's a pretty good "he said", "she said" confrontation. I'm rethinking my LA trip. Anybody up for February, skeptics too, maybe an OK Corral kinda thing.

There are no fawns in late winter and early spring. Birthing occurs in late spring and early summer and the fawns are weaned at about 6 weeks.

Hi Doc,

Years ago I raised a baby whitetail while taking care of a small wildlife rehab center. The fawn, when hungry, made a very loud sound. Come to think of it, sort of like a very robust kent. From a distance it could confuse an ibwo searcher I suppose. As I recall it only made this sound for a month or two while very young. Perhaps a deer expert on this forum could comment, but single kent recordings in June and July could be a distant hungry fawn.

The Kennedy thing had an element of clever humor, but its element of macabre sort of did it in. Keep trying!

Docmartin said:
Well, as the Kennedy thing went down like a cup of cold sick... try this

Have a look at this in comparison to Florida kents here (E, F)... baby deer, anyone?

Acoustics of White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
Larry W. Richardson; Harry A. Jacobson; Robert J. Muncy; Carroll J. Perkins
Journal of Mammalogy, Vol. 64, No. 2. (May, 1983), pp. 245-252.
Stable URL:http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-2372(198305)64:2<245:AOWD(V>2.0.CO;2-B

fangsheath said:
There are no fawns in late winter and early spring. Birthing occurs in late spring and early summer and the fawns are weaned at about 6 weeks.

OK, copyright be damned... see what you think of this. Left - 'bleat' call of juvenile white-tailed deer made by unweaned fawns and weaned juveniles up to 1 year old. right.. a 'kent' call from Florida. Do I win £5?

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 577
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back