• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gran Canaria Birds (1 Viewer)

leica

I am going on holiday to Gran Canaria next week and as a new member of the birding fraternal I was wondering what birds I am likely to see while I am there. 8-P

Hi Leica

There's two articles in Opus for Gran Canaria

I hope they'll keep you going till others come in to help you

D

I was in Gran Canaria in June 2003, to be honest there isn't a huge range of birds to see but still plenty of nice things to keep your interest. First off, there are plenty of escaped birds, glossy starling species and bulbuls etc often get the pulse going for a bit trying to work out what they are. As for 'proper' birds, Plain Swift is often abundant in the mountains, Sardinian Warblers, Spanish Sparrows and Canary Islands Chiffchaff can be found around gardens, along with feral Monk Parakeets and Waxbills. Canaries are often in scrubby and rocky areas. The Oasis de Maspalomas is good if you can stand all the people, I had Whimbrel, Ringed, Little Ringed and Kentish Plover, Turnstone and Collared Pratincole here, along with Moorhens. Cory's Shearwater offshore. The golf course nearby had 23 Hoopoes on one hole and a few Southern Grey Shrikes.
There are a few Blue Chaffinches in the pine forests, but they are rare and I didn't see any, I did see plenty of Canaries and Turtle Doves though, and the scenery was spectacular.
Also look out for the Gran Canarian Giant Lizard, some of the ones I saw were well over two foot long with the tail, look in sunny roadside areas behind chainlink fences, they know they're safe there.
If, as you say you're new to birding then there are plenty of new and exciting things to see without being overwhelmed by unfamiliar species. In a fortnight I managed a list of about 45 species only. Have a good trip.

Many thanks delia todd , I have looked up your sugestion and it is very helpful. Bird forum is a wonderful thing for us all but it is particularly helpful to thse of us who are new to birding. So many helpful people who are willing to help us beginners are at our fingertips and so thanks again delia todd.
Many thanks also to nickderry for your extremely helful post. I have printed it off and I am going to take it with me on holiday and so a little part of you is going back to Gran Canaria with me for 2007. See you all when I get back, Happy Birding

Hi Leica,
I was in Gran Canaria earlier this month. There has been a lot of habitat damage due to the fires on the island at the end of July, so that some of the central areas are no longer the birding hotspots they were.
The south east of the island around Maspalomas wasn't badly affected and so should still have birds in reasonable numbers on the dunes.
My holiday wasn't a birding one but I still managed to pick up Berthelot's pipit, Spanish sparrow, plain swift, Canary Island chiffchaff and canary around the resort we were staying in, Taurito in the SW of the island. I should have taken my scope as there were shearwaters most days but just too far away from the shore to identify with binoculars.

I am going on holiday to Gran Canaria next week and as a new member of the birding fraternal I was wondering what birds I am likely to see while I am there. 8-P

Where are you staying? As Kieth said, Maspalomas around the dunes and golf course and La Charca nature reserve are good. Been there lots of times. Berthalots pipit, Canary, Hoopoe, Waxbill, Kentish Plover, and red rumped swallow to name a few last March.

Gran Canaria Birding

Hello,

I've been 9 times in 7 years the most birds i've seen was 48 in two weeks...
Going again for a week the first week in October.
Followed some of the links and theres a fair few birds that i've yet to see on the Island yet so fingers crossed.
Has anyone been to Jardin de Botanico in the north of the Island not been as of yet going by what i've read its a haven ?

Mick.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back